Thread: Dillion 550 precision reloading?

Dillion 550 precision reloading?

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

I loaded practice rounds for my department sniper rifle on my Dillon to include using the powder measure. At that time the rifle was chambered 7mm/08. I was fortunate to be able to attend a LE training course put on by the training staff at the 2nd Marine Division Scout Sniper School, Camp Lejeune NC. I needed 500 rounds for the course so loaded it on my Dillon with 168 grain SMKs. I had no problems shooting accurate all the way out to 1k while in the course. The course had us shooting moving targets at 800 yards. Use your Dillon, it won't let you down.

Nosler ammunition is ALL loaded on 550's.
    NO ammo company of any significance weighs powder, it is all loaded by volume drops. So the FGGM and other "desirable" factory ammo doesn't weigh either, so, there is your answer.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XL105 View Post
    I have a Dillion 550. Can I do precision reloading using it minus the powder measure? I have a 260 rem and 6.5x55 that I will be using for long range and f class shooting. I like the idea of having my dies always setup. I will still hand measure powder. Can I get the precision needed for long range accuracy? Or should I just buy single stage Reloader?
    That would depend on what you consider "precision reloading. My answer is NO. The Dillon powder measure is just as good as any other and that is not the deal breaker. The deal breaker is full length resizing cases on a press that that use a shell plate and not a shell holder. You cannot get a consistant shoulder bump when the die does not bottom out on something solid like a shell holder. With that being said, I have loaded hundreds of rounds on my Dillon 550 by starting with sized and primed cases and just loading powder and seating bullets. I size all the cases on a single stage press and prime by hand, that is the most important part that must be consistant. Then run them through the Dillon for final loading.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

My self have a 550 that i load using the powder measure and not depending if loading test rounds or match rounds, also have a RCBS Rock Crusher "new" to load for my 300 blk AR using the Hornady die bushing kit making die change easy not losing my setup

Toyoda
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    That would depend on what you consider "precision reloading. My answer is NO. The Dillon powder measure is just as good as any other and that is not the deal breaker. The deal breaker is full length resizing cases on a press that that use a shell plate and not a shell holder. You cannot get a consistant shoulder bump when the die does not bottom out on something solid like a shell holder. With that being said, I have loaded hundreds of rounds on my Dillon 550 by starting with sized and primed cases and just loading powder and seating bullets. I size all the cases on a single stage press and prime by hand, that is the most important part that must be consistant. Then run them through the Dillon for final loading.
    I have noticed about .003 of variance (measured with a comparator) in my seating depth with my 550, I called Dillion and they said there was no way around that with the press.
    I didn't even think about the shoulder setback.....

Lee has a "quick-change" system on their presses, just can't recall the name of the system. But if you look, it will be obvious.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    My 550 will dial in so close that I use it for all my plinking, practice and 3 gun loads. The only calibers I single stage anymore are my F class loads and a couple of the big Africans. I do keep an old turret press on the end of the bench for short runs and "here, try this data" stuff.

Also, I only use Dillion dies and measures, in the 550...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by XL105 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Is there a single stage press that has the "quick" change over? Like the 550. I'm not willing to give up accurate n consistent loading. But since I need to buy another press figured I at least look for ones that have those options.

The Forster Co-Ax is what you are looking for. Very accurate with quick change over and no shell holders to buy. You can truly go from .243 Win to 300 Win Mag in seconds.
    Last edited by Jamie; 08-13-2015 at 09:36 AM.
    More shooting, less typing.

I am partial to the Redding T-7 press and have dies in four different turrets, whch makes swapping calibers very easy!

in practice, I run all the brass thrugh an operation before rotating the turret, prime with a hand-priming tool, and use a conventinal powder dispenser and weigh charges when I want to be sure of consistency.
    Last edited by JASmith; 10-12-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Spelling typo

I got a Forster Co-AX about 7 years ago and never looked back. Before that had tried several Lee and RCBS and Lyman presses.

Basic Member
    Rumor has it that Dillons are good enough for minute of prairie dog...