Second post folks, so be gentle. I have studied a lot of responses from the generous folks here, sharing their experiences regarding the front pillar area cracking on Boyd's Pro Varmint stocks and I share everyone's concerns. My new Pro Varmint just showed up and on inspection I found a few things I would like to share and here the ask for the group's advice regarding my interpretation of issues I think I see. I find the front pillar the most challenging. I think there is a design flaw in the Boyd's product. I compared my factory Tupperware stock off my 11 trophy hunter to the Boyd's Pro Varmint. Please review my pictures and I will comment below them.

Here is my finding:

The Savage plastic stock has a tapered area where the bottom metal feeder ramp goes. There is more material here, thus it is less prone to falling apart when drilled for pillars.

I removed the metal pillars in my plastic stock by drifting them out. It was really easy to do and I do not see a reason not to reuse them. Is there a problem with this? bI They are the perfect height for the Boyd's stock. I measured them and they require a 27/64 drill bit hole. This will leave very little material where the arrow above is pointing. What do you guys think?

I was thinking that if there is tear-rout and I can't keep the concentric circle of the hole (half moon) I might use my dremmel to push some holes in the back and anchor some JB weld in some pockets, acting as anchors.

It looks like Boyd's is avoiding a manual process at this location, that's why they CNC this straight. However, it is obvious, that Savage has a manual process to remove some material and make things fit, as demonstrated by the roughness of areas where things are removed. It is definitely not part of the molding process.

Honestly, this is a design flaw that arose from cost savings attempts. Personally, I would gladly pay a few more bucks for a better engineered product. The other option is to not inlet this area at all and have the customer fit it.

The other option is not make these pillars so big around. What do you guys do, just drill it and JB weld it in place, the best you can and hope it holds?

Frankly, savage could improve the action screw spacing here, but I do not see their plastic stocks breaking here ever. I just do not understand why Boyd's makes this area so flimsy.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

The Dude Abides