Thread: Case issues

Basic Member

Case issues

This only happens when I reload for my 270 wsm. About one out of every 3 cases will not smoothly load in my rifle and the bolt is hard to push down, this is on empty unprimed cases. Only happens after I run through my redding resize die. It might be I am not lubbing the neck enough and the shoulder is getting pressed a little-- I guess, not sure. I do know this has happened even after I had trim all the cases to the same length.

This never happens on the other calibers I reload, 223, 243,308, 7mm-08.

Still fired some as I did not notice this until I had reloaded about 50 shells.. Accuracy was still good

Any ideas sure would help me save brass..

Thanks.

Basic Member
    I had a simular problem while loaded 30-06. I believe that the increased length of the 270, 30-06 cases have something to do with it. My cases were warped on one side during sizing. It was mild and very hard to detect but it was there. Never did find a good answer as to how or why but I did read somewhere that length was a factor. I'm going to watch this thread to see what is offered.

You did not mention if your Redding was a neck or full length sizing die.

I am going to assume you have a full length die and have never checked you case headspace dimension. What is more than likely happening is that your die needs to be adjusted to bump the shoulder back to < the chambers headspace. Turn the die in in very small increments until the case chambers.

There is also the chance that your brass has expanded down by the case web. You will need some calipers to check the base diameter and compare it to one that will chamber.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I had the same problem with my 270wsm...I re-adjusted my FL die (ran it down slowly) and the problem went away.

I always on any rifle caliber I'm loading will try to chamber all pieces of brass after prepping them to make sure they chamber before I load them.

Just my 2¢
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

gotcha
    Here's another angle...... If you're not firing max loads in your WSSM it will sometimes take 2 or 3 firings to fully fire-form all your brass. Size your most difficult to chamber brass with your normal die setting. If necessary turn the die into the press 1/8 turn at a time until cartridge chambers with little resistance. ( hunting application) If your press "cams over" you should be able to find a suitable die depth. If it doesn't "cam over" you may need to remove material from the top of the shell holder. ( this can be addressed after you try the above)

Basic Member
    I need to learn to read, 270wsm.

postoak
    If the short magnums are like the regular magnums, then this will happen if you only neck size. The solution, as someone mentioned, is to partial full-length size just enough to push the shoulder back about .003". There are tools (Hornady makes one) available to measure this distance.

Silly question but you are trimming after you size em right?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Thanks -- to answer quick questions -- I am using the full length die. I also trimmed the cases before I tumbled.. thought they might clean up better. Oddly, some new brass that chambers great is longer than the ones with the problem. I have calipers so I will check the diameter of the brass. Hopefully I can solve this problem. I will take my die apart and assure it is clean as well.. Thanks folks and good shooting

Basic Member
    I think I have it now.. the head spacing I believe was the issue. I took a shell that was tight when trying to push down the bolt and kept tightening the resizing die in small increments and then would test load the shell. Finally got it to the point it was almost like loading a new shell, still had some pressure and then I went a tad too far and dimpled in the shoulders of the case. Now, it could be the case needed trimming, I measured it and it was within the required length, but my rifle might like its cases a tad shorter. So when I am not so tired, I will trim a few of those hard to load cases and try again..

Thanks everyone and God bless!

If you dented the shoulder it more than likely was too much lube or the lube vent hole is clogged.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

postoak
    So, you were using the full length sizing die but not screwing it all the way in? IOW, you were doing partial full-length resizing? It sounds, then, as if you weren't pushing the shoulder back the .003" that is recommended. That's where that Hornady tool comes in handy, although trial and error works as well, I guess, as long as you go slowly.
    Last edited by postoak; 08-09-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling