Thread: Elk hunt

Basic Member

Elk hunt

Have a few questions for the knowledgeable here. My little sister just called me and said her company is taking her elk hunting this fall in Colorado(why didnt I get into the oil business!!!!). Anyways she wants to know if she can borrow one of my rifles or have me build her one for this hunt. I have a ruger .308 Win that I can let her use but it is the target model and a little heavy for packing around the mountains. So I am thinking building is the way to go. I need an excuse to build another rifle anyways. So my question is what caliber would you guys suggest. Keep in mind this is a 110lb girl and I do not want her recoil shy when she is about to pull the trigger. If it was me shooting it would be a magnum in 7mm or 30 but im wandering if there is a better caliber with less recoil in a light packing gun for her. any advise would be great. Thanks!

I would suggest a 7mm-08 or 280 Rem. I think either will get the job done given she can place the shot in the right place. I have a 7mm-08 and my 90lb daughter handles the recoil just fine. I'm sure others will chime in but these two are the fist thing that comes to mind.

Basic Member
    What is her shooting/hunting background, skill level, comfort zone etc?

Basic Member
    A 308 would offer a better bullet selection and would certainly be enough cartridge
    out to some decent distance. Put a brake on it and a small person will be fine with the recoil.

What distance will she be shooting?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    What distance will she be shooting?
    As a general rule, those decisions are made by the elk. lol

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. After looking at a lot of data I think the .308 is probably best for her right now. She will just have to limit her shots to 350-400 which is plenty far anyways. Thanks again!

newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    As the man said it was a very good shot. And it proves once again that (it aint what you hitum with but where you hitum).
    After well over 40 years of doing that exact thing, and knowing many hunters who do the same thing also, i will add this comment.
    If the elk had hobbled away crippled we would have never seen the video. You call it your way and ill call it mine when it comes
    to what cartridges to use for that type of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    As the man said it was a very good shot. And it proves once again that (it aint what you hitum with but where you hitum).
    After well over 40 years of doing that exact thing, and knowing many hunters who do the same thing also, i will add this comment.
    If the elk had hobbled away crippled we would have never seen the video. You call it your way and ill call it mine when it comes
    to what cartridges to use for that type of hunting.

Yeap, and not to mention that any DNR infraction in CO is felony.

243 is legal for Elk in CO,
    it does not matter how much the hunter weighs,
    shooting from a standing/kneeling position, the body will swing with the shot and felt recoil will be minimal,
    in the heat of the moment she will most likely not feel any recoil, that does not mean that she will not get a scope-eye (no pun intended).
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    Yeap, and not to mention that any DNR infraction in CO is felony.

243 is legal for Elk in CO,
    it does not matter how much the hunter weighs,
    shooting from a standing/kneeling position, the body will swing with the shot and felt recoil will be minimal,
    in the heat of the moment she will most likely not feel any recoil, that does not mean that she will not get a scope-eye (no pun intended).
    Well in terms of whats leagal, in PA (any) center fire cartridge is legal for deer hunting.
    And we all know you can coax a 223 to hit things at a mile.

Basic Member
    Why not a 6.5? The swedes have been knocking Moose down with the 6.5x55 for 50+ years.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Why not a 6.5? The swedes have been knocking Moose down with the 6.5x55 for 50+ years.
    I wonder how many swedes would choose a 6.5 for kodiak bear or even old Cecil?
    Or had the elk been a grizzly at 200 yds would the 243 have been chosen?
    I mean after all it aint what you hitum with right? lol

Basic Member
    True True, but I should have added this would clearly be a better gun for someone who is recoil sensitive, unless the .308 he is going to get for her has a break/can. Not to mention those 140gr Hornady rounds for the 6.5 Creedmore are quite accurate for factory loads.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

romad97
    If you are going to be handloading then i would go with a 260. If you are going to shoot factory ammo I would go with a 7mm rem with a brake.

Basic Member
    I think the 308 was a sensible choice.
    Ammo choices and availability.
    Flat as the 7mm rm to 300 yards. ( not in heavyweights but 165gr sp is plenty of bullet)
    Weight vs Recoil.

270 would probably have been my first choice for this but the gun would have to fit the shooter well. Otherwise recoil could turn her off.

I think the 6.5 & 260 would be great but... ammo availability and lack of choices make the less desirable in this scenario. Especially our down loaded swede ammo.

As for the swede moose reference. Pretty sure 30cal rules there today.

Basic Member
    308 and load it up with 150gr tsx bullets at 2900+FPS. Easy on the shoulder and will out penetrate a 180gr conventional bullet (read: 30-06 shooting a 180gr). I'm not a recoil fan, and this is what I use.

SRS