Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just ordered my FIRST Savage in Hog Hunter and Have a Stock Question

nelly

Foxx & jpdown that's just the info I was looking for. Boyds has just lost me as a customer. Too much to do to adapt my HH to their product. I'm going to go with a B&C M40 or an HS Precision as these are ready for me to send over to CDI for final fitting of Bottom metal and mag. I don't want to screw up a stock by doing a 1st time experiment that I've never done before. Don't know why Boyd's would discontinue the Tacticool or other HH stocks with bottom metal cutouts ? Thanks again everyone, I'll post some pics after completion...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nelly View Post
    Foxx & jpdown that's just the info I was looking for. Boyds has just lost me as a customer. Too much to do to adapt my HH to their product. I'm going to go with a B&C M40 or an HS Precision as these are ready for me to send over to CDI for final fitting of Bottom metal and mag. I don't want to screw up a stock by doing a 1st time experiment that I've never done before. Don't know why Boyd's would discontinue the Tacticool or other HH stocks with bottom metal cutouts ? Thanks again everyone, I'll post some pics after completion...
    They did NOT discontinue HH stocks with bottom metal cutouts. They just don't call them Hog Hunters. Until recently, they did not make anything that was specifically for the Hog Hunter (by name). They made stocks for the center feed, short action, top bolt release, detachable box magazine or blind magazine; just as they do now. It's a matter of knowing what to ask for. Me thinks you are just confused, which isn't unusual, Savage is confusing sometimes. It's not anything Boyds has done differently (other than trying to be "customer friendly" by offering something for top bolt release, center feed short actions with blind mag aka Hog Hunter, and actually calling it "Hog Hunter".

Oh well, if you like, send me a pm and I will give you my phone number, that way I might be able to better explain it to you.

nelly
    Thanks for the clarification foxx, I'm going to re-visit Boyds Web page and look for SA-CF-TBR-DBM in a Pro-Varmint.

randyhub

Will a Model 10 Boyds work with a Hog Hunter?

Pro Varmint Savage 10 TBR Detachable Mag Short Action 4.4 spacing

My Savage factory DBM

Thanks
    Randy

Team Savage
    Yes, a model 10 will work with Hog Hunter. You may have to open up the barrel channel if it is not cut for a varmint contour barrel.

randyhub
    thanks, at 77.00 the Boyds stock was a good deal

I had the same concerns when I bought the Hog Hunter in .223, OP. I had a replacement stock, bottom metal, bolt handle, and barrel, and set it up as a miniature 10FCP-SR, as I have a .308 with the 20 inch barrel. The Warranty dept was incredible at Savage in hooking me up with the parts. Once I had a Accustock recoil lug, I was set. Any 4.4" stock will fit, the only difference is the magazine setup (Blind mag vs DBM.)

Now I've got Dr Evil and Mini-Me, lol

randyhub

Recoil lug

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye- View Post
    I had the same concerns when I bought the Hog Hunter in .223, OP. I had a replacement stock, bottom metal, bolt handle, and barrel, and set it up as a miniature 10FCP-SR, as I have a .308 with the 20 inch barrel. The Warranty dept was incredible at Savage in hooking me up with the parts. Once I had a Accustock recoil lug, I was set. Any 4.4" stock will fit, the only difference is the magazine setup (Blind mag vs DBM.)

Now I've got Dr Evil and Mini-Me, lol
    How hard was it to change the recoil lug?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12