Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered my FIRST Savage in Hog Hunter and Have a Stock Question

stevevs127

Just ordered my FIRST Savage in Hog Hunter and Have a Stock Question

Just ordered my first Savage, Hog Hunter 308 and I am ANXIOUSLY waiting its arrival. I want to replace the stock with the Boyds Tacticool Stock but Boyds CS say they don't make it for the HH. I saw a Tacticool at Midway: Product 182138 that says Savage 10 Short Action Blind Magazine 4.4" Screw Spacing Heavy Barrel Channel Laminated Wood Black Textured. I have read elsewhere that it sounds like the one I need but Midway won't verify.

I saw back in 2013 that bootsmcquire on this forum said "All you need is a stock for a Savage Short Action Centerfeed (it has the 4.40" screw spacing). You do not have to find one listed specifically for the hog hunter, if that is how you are seaching. I only mention as it seems to be a common mistake that people seach for a stock for their specific model rather than the action type."

I am so looking forward to this build but I really want to get it right. Can anyone verify the Midway number is correct for what I want? Or do you have a better suggestion? Plan is mainly 200 yards and below for starters 60% hunting 40% range.

Scope Question: Opinions on the Primary Arms 1x4x42 vs SWFA 1x4x24??

Thank you

Basic Member
    Glad you joined us Steve.

Here is a pic of my Hog Hunter 308 with a Boyd's Pro-Varmint (Tacticool). I ordered the 4.4" centerfeed inletted for the Savage DBM.

As for your scope selections??? To each his own, but the Pro-Varmint shape lends itself to a long range setup (meaning, I wouldn't want to carry mine all day hunting!). If this was a strictly hunting rig, I'd keep the factory stock (it's not as bad as everyone lets on) and go with a mundane 3-9 scope. Have you ever shot a 4x at 200? You must have better eyes than me. Lol. It's definitely doable, but I see those scopes as more close quarters, brush hunting and/or fast action.

The main thing is don't let us sway you, build it and shoot the heck out of it!

stevevs127
    Wow. Sweet looking rig!! Congrats. That is almost the exact rig I am wanting to build. Anything you would do different now that you have it??

Basic Member
    Thanks Steve.

Top of my regrets list:

Not paying the extra $15 for the color laminate. The painted lam just seems so much softer (even though Boyd's says they're the same) but as an owner of a few Boyd's stocks, I can say the color laminate is far denser, and a much better product. So, just pay the extra $15! I did on my next build. So glad.

Basic Member
    You are right, their site is kinda messed up. Don't look under Hog Hunter, though.

Another name for the Hog Hunter is :

model 11, center feed, short action, blind mag, bull barrel.

Here's one: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAS...pe=1G&Finish=2

I bet the Hog Hunter goes into the pro varmint more than any other.

Tacticool is now called Pro Varmint.

stevevs127
    Okay thank you that helps allot.

Basic Member
    Also, I think the adjustable comb is worth the extra few bucks, though I don't have one yet. It's new

stevevs127
    So for the black color laminate I don't see that as an option. Is it one of the custom wood colors you are talking about?

stevevs127
    So for the black color laminate I don't see that as an option. Is it one of the custom wood colors you are talking about?

Basic Member
    Don't go black. As Bluedog said, get a laminate. If you want it black, spray paint it black or spray it black with a material for truck bed liners. I believe the black models are softer. It might be the black material is soft,not the wood, but it doesn't matter. I sprayed mine with some sort of auto body primer spray. Maybe it was rustoleum. ANyhow, it came out really tough, really flat , dark gray, pretty cool. If you really want black, the bed liner in a can is essentially all they use.

Basic Member
    Boyd's does offer a black on black colored laminate, they call it "Pepper", and it's found in the 'custom' additions after you select rifle make and model, shape, etc. The plain black is just paint, as Foxx stated, and it's not the best paint at that (mine is pretty thin) I also wish I had the adjustable cheek piece installed. My newest stock (also a Pro Varmint) has it and I really like it. Remember Steve, this stock profile is more of a straight grip "tactical/target" shape, and not a stock I would want to carry through the brush and up the bluffs all day.

Team Savage
    Here is a picture of a Hog Hunter in 308 I just put into a Boyd's Pro Varmint (Tacticool) forest camo laminated stock. I ordered a Savage 11, CF stock with DBM inletting. Or you can go with the blind magazine Pro Varmint configuration. You will need to open up the stock barrel channel using a dowel rod and sand paper to accept the heavy HH barrel. If you go with the DBM stock configuration, you may need to put a spacer under the front of the trigger guard, since the stock is cut out to accept the new style trigger guard with bottom bolt release and thicker front lip. But the Savage Hog Hunter can be put into a Boyd's stock without much trouble.

stevevs127
    Thank you for the advice regarding the "carry through the brush" since that may affect what I do now. With that in mind what would you recommend for a "carry all day" type of stock?

stevevs127
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Don't go black. As Bluedog said, get a laminate. If you want it black, spray paint it black or spray it black with a material for truck bed liners. I believe the black models are softer. It might be the black material is soft,not the wood, but it doesn't matter. I sprayed mine with some sort of auto body primer spray. Maybe it was rustoleum. ANyhow, it came out really tough, really flat , dark gray, pretty cool. If you really want black, the bed liner in a can is essentially all they use.
    That helps. Would you spray the bed liner on TOP of the black that it comes in or is that just hiding the soft material underneath?

Basic Member
    Steve, I hope this part isn't confusing. The plain black stock is a laminate. The wood seems MUCH softer that the colored laminates, you can't see it because Boyd's paints it with black paint. I don't know if it's the colored resins or what exactly, but the 'custom colors' are a better buy (IMHO). But to reiterate, the plain black ProVarmint is still a laminate ply stock. I think whoever mentioned painting the stock black was inferring that IF you absolutely HAD to have black, that it might be best to paint over a colored laminate as they seem denser.

I believe if I've read this thread correctly. I hope this clarifies it a bit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by stevevs127 View Post
    Thank you for the advice regarding the "carry through the brush" since that may affect what I do now. With that in mind what would you recommend for a "carry all day" type of stock?
    If I was making a primarily hunting rifle that is easy to carry and still performs admirably, I'd keep the plain HogHunter stock and spend the money you were going use for the Boyd's and invest in a nicer scope, OR buy that much more ammo and just have fun getting to know your new rifle. Just my 2¢.

Basic Member
    or, if you must get a different stock, "Classic" or "Platinum" are good carry-rifle stocks. Can shoot them with either hand, they pull up and point quick and easy. If adding checkering, I would go with the Platinum because it allows the checkering to wrap around the underside of the stock. The Classic can only be checkered on the sides.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevevs127 View Post
    That helps. Would you spray the bed liner on TOP of the black that it comes in or is that just hiding the soft material underneath?
    Blue is right. I meant, if you want a black stock, don't buy it that way. Get a custom laminate and paint it black. You could use Krylon, Rustoleum, Auto Primer, spray-on Truck Bed Liner (that's what they use) or even some kind of "stone texture" spray paint. Final option might be rattle can Duracoat. Those colored stocks do seem more dense than the black ones.

stevevs127
    Okay I understand now. Thank you!!

nelly
    BlueDog, Where did you get the Savage DBM and the parts necessary for the install? Your Hog Hunter is Outstanding ! This is just what I'm looking to do to mine, simple and functional but stylish...

Basic Member
    Nelly, the DBM is from CDI. I have two from them, and they are great. Jeff and Pam do great work and are good people to work with. I inletted the stock (ordered a Boyd's with the Savage DBM inlet) and only had to do a bit of removal. CDI always inlets your stock for free when you order a DBM from them! (Can't beat that!)

nelly
    Blue, I spoke to Shauna at Boyds today and told her I wanted to order the same stock as your's for the Savage Hog Hunter .308- Tacticool or Pro Varmint. She informed me that they don't make either of these for Savage Hog Hunters with Bottom Mag cutouts, all they offer for the Hog Hunter is a BLIND SMOOTH bottom - with no provisions for inletting. She looked at a picture of yours from the forum and said that you modified the stock to fit, not Boyds. So I guess those of us that own HOGS have to look elsewhere for something that will accept bottom metal or she didn't get what I was asking for....

Basic Member
    Don't ask for Hog Hunter with DBM... Hog Hunter does not come with dbm, it is a blind mag rifle made with a center feed short action, top bolt release. If you want to add dbm to hog hunter then you must get a detachable center feed magazine (either Axis style or traditional, all metal) to go with your center feed short action with top bolt release.

If you want a stock for that arrangement, ask for short action, top bolt release, center feed, detachable box magazine.

I have no idea why they list the Hog Hunter as it's own model, but they do. It is better if you ignore that label, though, and seek out a stock that fits the generic terms for what it is.

Team Savage
    That is hog wash! A Savage Hog Hunter will fit into a Boyd's Savage SA (10, 11, 16), CF, TBR, DBM ProVarmint stock. You will have to open up the barrel channel to free float the magnum contour barrel. Depending on what bottom metal and trigger guard you plan to use, it may take some dremel and bedding work, or spacer under or between the back of the DBM frame assembly and front of the trigger guard to get a flush fit and to make sure the magazine lips are close enough for the bolt head to reliably pick up and push feed cartridges from the magazine.
    Last edited by jpdown; 08-18-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    That is hog wash! A Savage Hog Hunter will fit into a Boyd's Savage SA (10, 11, 16), CF, TBR, DBM ProVarmint stock. You will have to open up the barrel channel to free float the magnum contour barrel. Depending on what bottom metal and trigger guard you plan to use, it may take some dremel and bedding work, or spacer under or between the back of the DBM frame assembly and front of the trigger guard to get a flush fit and to make sure the magazine lips are close enough for the bolt head to reliably pick up and push feed cartridges from the magazine.
    Correct, jp, but Boyds lists the Hog Hunter as its own unique model. When asking for a stock for the HH, they assume you want sa, cf, top bolt release blind mag with bull barrel channel. They only make a few stocks for that exact configuration. That's why I say don't call it a Hog Hunter. Instead, describe it as center feed short action, blind mag (or dbm) top bolt release and then open up the barrel channel as necessary and add, if necessary, bottom metal for traditional dbm or plastic version for Axis style dbm.

Don't use the term Hog Hunter. It only trips you up.

Team Savage
    +1. Because the HH is a BM configuration, they won't confirm it will also work in a SA, CF, TBR, DBM stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast