Thread: Large shank vs Target shank?

Team Savage

Large shank vs Target shank?

Looking at Mcgowen Barrel's site they ask if you have a large shank or a target shank. I'll be building on an 18184 target action but I'm just curious what the difference is. Please school me on the difference. Thanks

Basic Member
    There are only 2 sizes and that is large and small. The large is the same as target. after looking at the Mcgowen web site I would say the difference is large shank has a step and target shank has no step just like a factory target barrel but large and target both fit the target actions.
    Last edited by earl39; 08-05-2015 at 03:19 PM.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    There are only 2 sizes and that is large and small. The large is the same as target. after looking at the Mcgowen web site I would say the difference is large shank has a step and target shank has no step just like a factory target barrel but large and target both fit the target actions.
    I love this site, I learn something every day!

The target shank has one less thread than they large shank.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

You mean it is 19 TPI as apposed to 20 TPI?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

No the amount of threads showing.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Team Savage
    What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by alphapygmy View Post
    What's the point?
    On a target action if you put a large shank barrel threads will show past the barrel nut.

Dean

Most just split the distance when cutting the threads and they work perfect with the "Large Shank" barrel nut.

Another words, when they build the barrel, the leave a 1/2 of a thread off the Large Shank Barrel.

Who has seen where loosing a 1/2 of a thread matters on the Savage Barrels?

Dennis

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    On a target action if you put a large shank barrel threads will show past the barrel nut.

Dean
    I get it but what's the purpose from a manufacturing standpoint?

Basic Member
    This is how mis-information gets started.....there is no such thing as a "target" shank, only large or standard. An experienced barrel maker would know the difference, and the applications where the length of the thread would make a difference.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    The plot thickens.... I just couldn't imagine the point of having two different thread depths for a large shank. Usually mass production manufacturers go for 1 size fits as many as possible.

Basic Member
    I have a brand new 18184 action. How many folks are doing barrels for the target action without breaking the bank. Any beside the 3 or 4 we all know about.

Well all I can say is I have seen this before many times, whether it is on purpose on not that I don't know, but there are always more threads showing on a large shank than there is on a target shank, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Dean

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    I have a brand new 18184 action. How many folks are doing barrels for the target action without breaking the bank. Any beside the 3 or 4 we all know about.
    if your looking for a pre fit just pick one they all seem to shoot....i personally prefer shilen for pre fit or you can buy a high end blank and have jim at Apache or your smith thread,chamber and crown it for you.

This is how mis-information gets started.....there is no such thing as a "target" shank, only large or standard. An experienced barrel maker would know the difference, and the applications where the length of the thread would make a difference.

That is what I'm talking about!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.