Thread: Sharp edges on Bolt head and front baffle

Basic Member

Sharp edges on Bolt head and front baffle

I am looking for technical advice/help with a situation I believe I already know the answer to, but I would like disinterested, third-part verification by some trusted fellow members here.

I don't want to draw anyone into an argument, nor do I wish to embarrass anyone. I just hope you guys can help me in my effort to explain that what I did was alright... If no one cares to speek up within a couple days, I will close the thread. Thank you, in advance.

A while ago I bought a used action from a trusted member here that Fred had T&T'ed. He also added a lift kit. It was Fred's typical, first class work. Later, I started to notice a "catch" or "snag" as I closed the bolt handle. It happened just as the bolt face was turning into the action at close. Not able to find the cause, I filed over (rounded the edges some) the outside edges of the bolt head and front baffle, being careful not to damage the face or the mating surfaces of either piece. THe bolthead, by the way, was not a factory bolthead, but an aftermarket bolthead with sharp edges and a tight fit in the rails and receiver. The problem persisted, so I replaced the sear. THat helped a bit, but there was still this slight "hitch" or snag or "catch" just as the bolt handle closed down. Eventually, I realized the front of the bolt handle was catching on the sharp back edge of the relief-cut in the action where the bolt handle settles when closing. It was a small snag. Just a bit of a "tit" sticking out from that sharp corner that was rubbing. I filed that edge down a bit, polished it, and the problem went away.

Now I believe it is the smoothest, easiest, finest Savage Action I have ever handled. Bolt lift is very light, it runs smooth in the rails and locks up tight. All that needs to be done, now, is it needs a barrel installed and properly head-spaced.

I sold this action to a fellow member here, and he is very unhappy. He says his smoth looked at it and told him it was unsafe and would require $250 to repair. The member got upset (understandably so) and told me he wanted to return it and get his money back.

Personally, I don't normally have a problem accepting a return from someone here. I think we are all friends to one degree or another and should treat each other with respect and courtesy and fairly when buying and selling from each other. With that in mind, I am not normally opposed to refunding someone if they are unhappy (though it's never come up before). In the interest of civility, I am considering honoring his request. That's not the point of my post.

The point of my post is this:

It is a fine action. I believe the buyer's smith got him all worked up over nothing and is feeding him a load of BS.

Would you all consider trying to reassure the buyer that rounding the edges of the bolt head and front baffle does NOT negatively affect the performance of the action or make for a potentially hazardous situation? As I explained to the buyer, I could have easily replaced the front baffle and bolt head for about $27, but I did not want to negate the benefits of Fred's T&T work, so I chose not to do so. It is fine the way it is.

Yes?

No?

THanks, everyone.
    Last edited by foxx; 08-03-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Basic Member
    Interesting. One thing I've found since I started my enlightening Savage journey, is the vast ignorance and misconceptions associated with the platform. In full disclosure I too once was anti-Savage. I think it's getting better, but some of the "old guard" gunsmiths still don't trust things like barrel nuts, non welded bolt handles, and floating bolt heads. In fact some of the craziest notions I've read have come from another forum (precision rifle based) like that a lowly Savage is incapable of even finishing a match! Absolute nonsense.

Basic Member
    {It is a fine action. I believe the buyer's smith got him all worked up over nothing and is feeding him a load of BS.}

Me, too......just what is he gonna do for $250.00 to correct a problem that isn't there?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    He says his smith looked at it and told him it was unsafe and would require $250 to repair.
    I'm curious how his 'smith determined it was unsafe and how $250 would make it so. Perhaps the fellow and or his 'smith would be willing to come here with the details.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    :) My thoughts EXACTLY> I suggested he ask the smith these very questions. THanks, guys. I really appreciate it. Whatever we do, I needed your affirmation that I am not a jerk trying to pull one over on him. If he's not happy, why sweat it? I'm low on cash, but don't want to make an enemy out of him, either. I am considering offering him another action from Fred, its just that the one I sent him is actually better than my others, and really don't want to break up a rifle I am happy with and worry about rebedding, etc.

It's cool, I think.

dragonfly
    My gunsmith got me hooked on Savage rifles. I trust him. I would need to see the action and bolt to make a judgement call. That said as a seller I would disclose all alterations that have been made to parts I'm selling to a potential buyer. No surprises.
    Last edited by dragonfly; 08-04-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: changed my to me, stupid phone

dragonfly
    BTW foxx, As per the email I sent you I wrote " my smith estimates $225.00 parts and labor to make it safe" not require $250.00 to repair. And that was a quick estimate.
    So grinding on the bolt head and front baffle with a Dremel is exceptable practice. It looks pretty ugly to me.
    Probaly should get all the facts before making judgement calls.
    I did not question the action, it's what's been done to the bolt parts, and that was a big surprise to me.

dragonfly
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I am looking for technical advice/help with a situation I believe I already know the answer to, but I would like disinterested, third-part verification by some trusted fellow members here.

I don't want to draw anyone into an argument, nor do I wish to embarrass anyone. I just hope you guys can help me in my effort to explain that what I did was alright... If no one cares to speek up within a couple days, I will close the thread. Thank you, in advance.

A while ago I bought a used action from a trusted member here that Fred had T&T'ed. He also added a lift kit. It was Fred's typical, first class work. Later, I started to notice a "catch" or "snag" as I closed the bolt handle. It happened just as the bolt face was turning into the action at close. Not able to find the cause, I filed over (rounded the edges some) the outside edges of the bolt head and front baffle, being careful not to damage the face or the mating surfaces of either piece. THe bolthead, by the way, was not a factory bolthead, but an aftermarket bolthead with sharp edges and a tight fit in the rails and receiver. The problem persisted, so I replaced the sear. THat helped a bit, but there was still this slight "hitch" or snag or "catch" just as the bolt handle closed down. Eventually, I realized the front of the bolt handle was catching on the sharp back edge of the relief-cut in the action where the bolt handle settles when closing. It was a small snag. Just a bit of a "tit" sticking out from that sharp corner that was rubbing. I filed that edge down a bit, polished it, and the problem went away.

Now I believe it is the smoothest, easiest, finest Savage Action I have ever handled. Bolt lift is very light, it runs smooth in the rails and locks up tight. All that needs to be done, now, is it needs a barrel installed and properly head-spaced.

I sold this action to a fellow member here, and he is very unhappy. He says his smoth looked at it and told him it was unsafe and would require $250 to repair. The member got upset (understandably so) and told me he wanted to return it and get his money back.

Personally, I don't normally have a problem accepting a return from someone here. I think we are all friends to one degree or another and should treat each other with respect and courtesy and fairly when buying and selling from each other. With that in mind, I am not normally opposed to refunding someone if they are unhappy (though it's never come up before). In the interest of civility, I am considering honoring his request. That's not the point of my post.

The point of my post is this:

It is a fine action. I believe the buyer's smith got him all worked up over nothing and is feeding him a load of BS.

Would you all consider trying to reassure the buyer that rounding the edges of the bolt head and front baffle does NOT negatively affect the performance of the action or make for a potentially hazardous situation? As I explained to the buyer, I could have easily replaced the front baffle and bolt head for about $27, but I did not want to negate the benefits of Fred's T&T work, so I chose not to do so. It is fine the way it is.

Yes?

No?

THanks, everyone.

My gunsmith did not take anything apart just an inspection of what was received hence the high estimate.

LongRange
    if it was me in your shoes Foxx id just return this guys money....IMHO the action is fine but the buyer is convinced its not so he will never be happy with it.... i would just avoid the storm thats to come and return his money....resale the action and list ALL mods by Fred and by you and im pretty sure someone here familiar with Freds work would be happy to have it....id buy it but im going to a custom action at the end of the year.
    Last edited by thomae; 08-10-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Basic Member
    I agree with LR, it isn't worth the aggravation on either side of the deal.

Oh, and since that action is unsafe I'll help cut your losses and give ya 50 bucks for it. I can always use it for spare parts.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I did not mean to bring the disagreement to the forum.

I was only hoping that the buyer might be reassured that it was not a problem I understood him to say that his gunsmith was making it out to be.

If he thinks it's ugly and doesn't like it, I can't argue with that. I just hoped he simply needed reassurance that it wasn't a problem.

Oh, well.

THanks, all.

Basic Member
    I'm offering him another one that I have mounted that should be everything he hoped the first one was. I hope he and his smith will be happy to inspect it and he can be excited about it and proud to shoot it and show off to his buddies like I am.

Basic Member
    Thanks, Bill.

You're a life saver. :)

dragonfly
    I guess I could send the action to you Fred, and you can inspect and do any work it might need.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    {It is a fine action. I believe the buyer's smith got him all worked up over nothing and is feeding him a load of BS.}

Me, too......just what is he gonna do for $250.00 to correct a problem that isn't there?

Basic Member
    Dragon, that's your prerogative, I guess, but I would suggest you return that one to me because I like it just the way it is. No point in having him replace the parts in question and then have to redo hi T&T work. I actually would prefer to have it back just the way it is. ( in exchange for the other one I offered you that we all know Fred T&Ted and was not "molested" by me. :) )

Make the trade, if you have any doubts about it, ask Fred to inspect and advise. I would most likely go along with anything he advises about the second one. I have confidence enough to say so because he is the only person that has ever put a tool on it. I KNOW that for a FACT because it has been in my hands and my hands only since the day he did the work.