Thread: Weaver or picatinny?

Weaver or picatinny?

Looking at mounts. What do you guys use?? Is one better than the other or is it just preference?

Basic Member
    Picatinny rail............. Weaver mounts will fit it but picatinny mounts will not fit a weaver rail. It has to do with the width of the slots

If you already have a weaver rail you are restricted to weaver rings.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Looks like most people use picatinny so that's what I'm going to use. Now I will get my mount and my scope and see what level rings to use

The difference is REALLY muddy here Russ.
    Officially Picatinny only has so many slots, so often, at a certain width of slot. However, many just continue to cut more slots. So "Which" picatinny? :)
    The weaver rails simply have a different spec in terms of slot diameter, they can have slots anywhere. So many of the Vogue picatinny rails are picatinny slots, but modeled after Weaver.

Neither is better or worse. The only time there can become an issue is with certain brands, if you interchange Pic & Weaver. It doesn't always materialize, but as an example:
    Pic rail with Weaver rings. There *COULD* be enough of a tollerance difference to make it so the rings can never seat securely.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    So, this raises an issue ive not heard discussed before. As a rule old (experts) like me just keep their mouth
    shut when informed about things they didnt know. Standing off to the side nodding in agreement like they knew
    is another trait of an expert. Over many years ive used lots of the cheap old Weaver 2 pc bases. As a rule the cheap
    old Weaver rings were used with them also. There were and i suppose still are other brand rings that worked with those bases.
    Now days of coarse Picatinny type bases are very popular and no doubt they can have an advantage in some cases.
    While i dont have any im aware Weaver makes this type base. But i was not aware they should only be used with Weaver rings.
    Which brings up another question. I do have a few sets of the 6 screw weaver tacticle rings and i know others who have them also.
    Mine are used with EGW bases and i dont recall being advised to use (only) certain spec rings. I have been told by others including
    a few good gunsmiths that they considered those rings as junk. But never that they didnt fit the base properly.

Yobuck some rings fit both with out a problem, others are specific to the base. I found out the hard way and ruined a EGW base and a set of 6 screw rings, expensive lesson.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Picatinny specs:
    Slot width - 0.206"
    Slot Centers - 0.394"
    Slot Depth - 0.118"

Weaver spec:
    Slot width - 0.180
    Slot centers - Varies with mfgr.

So CAN you interchange? Certainly possible, but it depends upon your specific equipments tollerances.
    Like has been said, neither is "Better", simply different.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I am going with a one piece picatinny rail. I just want to have the ability to move the scope to set my eye relief.I have never actually looked through the scope I bought. I got it strictly on reputation and reading reviews.

I likes the picatinny because you can move one scope from a long action to a short action. From a bench rest to a hunting rifle or a Remington to a Winchester. Thanks to mil spec 1913
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I likes the picatinny because you can move one scope from a long action to a short action. From a bench rest to a hunting rifle or a Remington to a Winchester. Thanks to mil spec 1913
    +1. Form follows function.
    Back in the day I wouldn't have been caught dead with anything other than standard Leupold bases and rings. Now it's Picatinny rails on 90+% of my rifles. The advantages far outweigh the cosmetic "issues".
    Used to be that one scope and one rifle were wedded for life, till death did they part. Now, scopes are swapped at will. Probably too often lol. Keeps life interesting.
    I've used Weaver "Tactical" 6-hole rings on Picatinny rails with no issues. Also many sets of Burris XTR's. They are excellent for the price. And a few sets of Nightforce rings and rails. Nice but oh lord the price!

Basic Member
    I guess my point was ive never seen any (warning) labels on a box regarding which rings to use with a particular picatinny type base.
    One would think a Weaver base would carry such a label warning people to use Weaver rings only with that base.
    To rely on information from some guy on a web site saying it might or might not work dosent make much sence to me.
    Wether we prefer one brand over another or wether or not we swap scopes around isnt the issue either.
    They should be like factory ammo, universal fit. If not we should know about it by reading the label.

Also have and use Weaver brand Picatinny rails. That should muddy the water some more lol.
    I'm a fan of the Picatinny rail, as opposed to Weaver-style bases, for the reasons I already listed.

daniel87
    The major point is the picatinny is a universal standardization. The specs are open source. And give all specs to make the rail thats why the military uses the MIL-STD-1913 rail aka picatinny rail
    Weaver specs are basically up to the manufacturer of the ring and base. With no garantee of any interchange

Basic Member
    Doesn't matter, only practical difference is the slot width and associated screw diameter. Pic rail, Weaver rings with Weaver screw size, just move screws fwd so they abut the front edge of the slots of a Pic rail (recoil side). Done.

That is for most of us, if you're talking 338, some big magnums, or 50, its a different animal.