Thread: Model 4 rimfire 22lr bolt issue

Model 4 rimfire 22lr bolt issue

Found a nice enough Model 4 that cleaned up well, but it has an annoying problem--the bolt will come out when cycling. Still shoots well enough but apparently something has worn to the point that the bolt doesn't catch (where you would ordinarily have to pull the trigger to remove the bolt from receiver). Common problem with a reasonable fix, or do I just live with it?

Bang
    I have a Savage model 4. Just to establish that the rifle is approximately the same era of manufacture, this one has checkering on the sides of the grip, a knurled and slotted takedown bolt at the front of the magwell plate, and a steel trigger guard.

The trigger is a single piece of steel that has a plunger and spring at the rear top, an upset metal section at the left front creating a ledge that stops the upward travel. The portion of the trigger that engages the striker of the bolt is likely the culprit. The front of that engaging surface is what stops the bolt's rearward travel. Mine is somewhat rounded off at the top front, but the engaging surface of the trigger is below that and it has approximately 3/32" of vertical engagement with signs of impact from stopping the bolt. It is a long way from ever letting the bolt fly by.

Ascertain that the trigger return plunger and spring are in good working order and has a healthy spring action and that the trigger returns completely upward and is stopped by the ledge.

The bolt is in two sections. The trailing edge of the front section is where engagement with the trigger stops the bolt's rearward travel. Look at that edge and see if it is square and not rounded away (mine, although the rifle exhibits a lot of wear elsewhere, is fine)...so I'll assume yours is also. That leaves the front edge of the trigger's front engagement, a worn trigger pivot pin or pin hole(s), or a weak or compromised return spring system.

Measuring my trigger engagement/ disengagement with depth vernier, the trigger drops .064" to disengage the bolt rearward stop surfaces. So, the rearward travel of the bolt on my rifle is being held by a mere 1/16th of an inch.

Look closely with magnification at the front of the trigger lug that both stops the bolt and holds the striker cocked. The forward top surface probably shows some rounded off wear, along with a deeper dishing attributable to impact. The vertical surface in front of that area should show an impact line. That line on mine is the 1/16th inch below the top of the trigger lug.

If after eliminating everything else you establish that the trigger lug engagement is worn down to the point of not engaging, I would stone the front engaging surface of the trigger lug, keeping it at its square angle, and move it rearward, making it taller and re-establishing an engaging surface. Secondly, stone the ledge so the trigger rises higher into the bolt channel. The depth of the surface of the front half of the bolt that is the bolt stop surface is .084". The striker engagement depth is .204". The described alterations will cause a longer trigger travel when firing the rifle....longer by whatever change you made to the ledge.

For real gunsmithing, the trigger is a very simple design. I would consider using the existing one as a pattern, adding to it to replace what has been worn away, and case-harden the new one in Casite or find a gunsmith or someone who has metal treating equipment.

For the ideal cure, find a replacement trigger...possibly at GunPartsCorp.com

Just looked.....they have a trigger...$24.95.....Savage 04, part # 206890
    Last edited by Bang; 08-16-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Bang
    ???????? Post unanswered, PM unanswered. Hope Rmasters3 is ok.

Bang
    Well, his profile says he was active on August 27th.

I'm done.