Thread: Savage 12 LRPV

Savage 12 LRPV

I went to the range today to shoot my 12 for the first time. It's chambered in 22-250. Last week I took my 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was shooting outstanding groups at 100, 200 & 300 yards.
    Today I bore sighted the LRPV at 100 yards just like last week. I fired a round and could not see a hole. The target was a two foot by three foot cardboard with a 4" x 6" white label in the center. Tried two more shots still nothing. Ammo was Hornady 55gr V-Max.
    I then started moving around the cardboard to see if a shot would show up. Not a one. So I walk down to 50 yards and take a shot. Nothing. I walk another 25 yards so I'm now at 25 yards. I get a hole about 10" low 6" to the right.
    What the heck is happening ? This is a good gun. Every review I have ever seen is fantastic.
    I get out my Savage 20 gauge bolt shot gun to sight in. I bore sight it and shoot it. It's on paper about 6" high. A make a correction and two shots later I'm done. I'm fairly confident I'm not the problem.
    My twist is 1:9. Nothing I have read says the twist is too fast for the 55 grain V-Max round. I put it into the Berger stability calculator and it checks out in the GOOD category.
    Does any one have any thoughts what's happening ? I checked the scope and it's secure. I'm going to take the scope off and put the pointed type scope ring aligning bars and see if their in line. The rings are Leupold steel tactical 30mm.
    The scope is a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50. The whole rig is brand new, scope, gun and ammo. Never ever had this happen before.

Randy

Seems I recall reading here of the possibility that excessive torque of the ring screws may compress the tube/reticle. Might be worth a visit to the Vortex website and/or customer service for the correct torque value. Would be nice if it were that easy. Good Luck, Mike.

I would say that either the barrel is slightly bent or the bore itself is off angle at the muzzle, or at least those are definite possibilities. As the bore is cut the bit wanders a little and will leave a sorta snake trail, not that bad but it moves around. Sometimes the wave in it is enough that even though you can see down it to boresight, the actual exit is pointing just slightly to the right and down.

I have a barrel like this, bore angle off center, shoots like crazy though so I keep her fed.
    More shooting, less typing.

After I got home I took the scope off and put the 30mm alignment checking rods in the rings. It wasn't too bad but I ordered the Wheeler lapping kit from Midway. I'll lap them in and remount the scope. I'll check the Vortex website, but to be honest the rings were adequately tight not over tight.
    Last edited by rcs9250; 08-03-2015 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Re-word

Basic Member
    Burris Signature rings.

Well I got my Savage LRPV .22-250 back from Savage. They replaced the barrel on it so they found something wrong with it. Now I need to get it back to the range to check it out. In talking with Savage on the phone when I was checking on its status they told me that at that moment it was at the range for test firing so hopefully everything is good.

Randy

Glad there making it right. I guess you,ll be the 1st to know if it shoots a?
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Would like to hear a range report when you get it back.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    let us know how it's shooting now that it has a new barrel

Start at 25 yds and work your way out to infinity and beyond.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

No news yet?
    I am thinking of sending mine to Savage to thread it for silencer or just have it done locally. Rifle is shipping out to me tomorrow. Gonna be a long rifle with that on a 26" barrel + silencer. Was thinking of cutting 2" off barrel. 1:9, SS fluted bull.