Thread: Having trouble mounting scope base

Stag556

Having trouble mounting scope base

I just picked up my first Savage rifle yesterday, a model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. I picked up an EGW 20moa base and when I went to install it, there seems to be metal in the first (most forward) screw hole. The screw in that hole only goes about halfway compared to the other three screws. Has anyone seen this? I contacted EGW and they had me measure all the screws and base with a caliber and confirmed that all their measurements are to their specs. I also confirmed with them that I had the correct base. I attached photos as well.

That's the shank of the barrel and it's supposed to be like that. Check all 4 of your screws, one may be one that's shorter than the other three - that's the one that goes in the front hole. If they're all the same length, you might have to shorten it yourself. (sometimes the base manufacturer will just machine the hole in the base shallower so they can use the same length screws in all 4 holes)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Stag556
    Thank you for the quick reply. All 4 of the screws provided to me from EGW measure .307 in length. Savage hasn't gotten back to me yet but EGW seemed to think all their lengths they provided to me were correct.

Can't recall if the LRP uses a small or large shank barrel, but if it's a large shank that may be the culpret. Small shank's are 1.055" which leaves roughly 0.295" for the receiver thickness up front. A large shank measures 1.120" which then only leaves 0.230" of receiver thickness.

Easy fix is to just chuck the screw up in a drill and then while running the drill touch it to a grinder to shorten it up a hair then try it again. Repeat as necessary until it doesn't bottom out.

This is the very reason you always want to install the front screw first when mounting your scope base. Doing so will make it very evident if the screw is to long because if it is the base won't be tight to the receiver when the screw is fully tightened.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Pay close attention to the last paragraph J. Baker posted.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Stag556
    Got it. Thanks for the help. This Savage newbie appreciates it.

Stag556
    Spoke with EGW this morning and I gave them an overall screw measurement of .307 for supplied screws. Apparently this is the first time they have needed screws to be shorter than this for that first hole where the barrel shank is located. They were very knowledgeable about my issue and were very helpful. They offered to make up a few different screw lengths and send them to me, free of charge, to see which works best. Thumbs up to EGW.

Basic Member
    First time they've heard about it? That's hard to believe!

Or maybe Savage Shooters are used to just making the fix and move on! :-)

Stag556
    I found that hard to believe as well but they were so willing to help me out, I just overlooked it. Scope won't be here for a while anyway, so no rush.

pitsnipe

Save owner = home gun smith

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    First time they've heard about it? That's hard to believe!

Or maybe Savage Shooters are used to just making the fix and move on! :-)

Part two would be the correct call from my experience. I've heard Savages called Lego guns more than once. Then I see that Lego outshoot most on the line. Makes me happy.
    Good luck Stag556. Your in good hands here.

Snipe