Thread: 223 Coal

223 Coal

Hey shooters, what Coal are you running with your 223s, whether it be a regular 223, Wylde, or 223AI with 80gr bullets using Berger, Amax's, or Sierra's, Nosler, Ect. I want to put the base of the bullet right at the junction of the neck and shoulder to not rob or take away any case volume since the 223 is so limited to begin with. I came up with 2.50" oppose to the standard 2.250" does this seem right?

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I only tried 75vmax at 2.250". Sierra's old PDF had their 80 matchking at 2.550" in a Rem 600. Seems kinda long. I think it would jam the lands on my 223.

I want to have the barrel "throated" deeper sorry if that wasn't clear

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Dean, I'm certainly not the pro that you guys are, but why not seat the pill you want to shoot, where you want it in the case, and send a dummy round to your smith and have him chamber and throat it to exactly what you want?

Hey!, Just Askin! :-) ... Jim

I was hopping there was a reoccurring number that most go with.

Dean

Basic Member
    With your stated goals, "I think" your going to be on the long side of most reoccurring numbers ? :-)

I like your idea, and I don't worry about magazine length because I don't use them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    With your stated goals, "I think" your going to be on the long side of most reoccurring numbers ? :-)
    On the real long side!!!

I only took a real quick gander, but a 80 Berger VLD is 1.105" OAL, the length of the neck to the shoulder of the 223 Rem, .-204"(?). That would leave .904" of the bullet out past the neck.

So , If my numbers are anywhere close 1.760" + .904"= COAL of 2.664". It would look kinda like this, a 100 NSB seated to the junction for my better 250 @ 2.75x" COAL. Not that it hurts anything, but they ask "what happened to the rest of the case?"

BTW, my one functioning brain cell is near toast. I've been installing, configuring and finding where stuff is most of the day with Windows 10, so if those numbers are way off I have an excuse!!!!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

So at 2.500" that would be a good number for 75gr and 80gr bullets, and not have the bullet sunken into the case and robbing it's already limited case capacity, but not to far that you can't use other bullets do you concur.

Dean

Basic Member
    Dean, Over on THR, 2007, there is a post about high power shooters using 2.50" and the wylde chamber. Seems like a good place to start. You are more experienced than me so I know you would check if it is jammed into the rifling.

Actually the boat tail is sunken into the case, and where the bullet becomes full diameter is at the junction of the neck and shoulder, that is where I came up with that 2.500" measurement, I split a case to get a better look I think I am going to stick with that.

Dean

PS: Thanks shagerott

Basic Member
    Using Load From a Disk - Hornady 80gr A-Max (length 1.123") will be .383" into the neck using the 2.500" measurement. That's the longest .224 dia 80gr in the Load From a Disk database. Maybe you might do a little better with one of the others. . - Shane

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shagerott View Post
    Using Load From a Disk - Hornady 80gr A-Max (length 1.123") will be .383" into the neck using the 2.500" measurement. That's the longest .224 dia 80gr in the Load From a Disk database.

Yeah, LFAD is limited on bullet specs especially since Blackwell passed away. This is what I use to get them...
    http://www.shootforum.com/forum/bulletdb.html

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Load a dummy round with an 1/8 inch of the bearing surface into the case neck. Send it to you smith and have him throat it to your dummy.
    Last edited by Robinhood; 07-31-2015 at 01:29 PM.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    X2 ... :-)

Basic Member
    I'm using Berger 80gr VLD's with 24.5gr Varget.
    Wylde chamber measures 2.083 CBTO, so I load it to 2.078 to be .005" off the lands. Mind you, this is Cartridge Base to Ogive, NOT OAL.
    My OAL is 2.574, which I could care less about since I measure CBTO with a Hornady comparator.
    My Barrel is a Shilen Select Match 28" and I get 3020fps with this load.
    Bullet base is right where you describe, at the neck/shoulder junction with zero runout (Forster Micro seating die is #1)
    Hornady brass.
    Easily sub MOA at 600 if I do my part.

Honestly, I've never figured out why folks ask about what OAL to use. Every chamber is different. But since you're looking to establish how deep to cut an already existing chamber, I think you should be somewhere that puts an OAL near the 2.500 range. The amount of bullet jump you get is totally dependent on the bullet you choose. You may care to choose a bullet, then have the chamber cut to put it .005" off the lands.

Also, what twist do you have? Anything over 1/8 won't shoot the 80 or 90 grain bullets worth a ****. Mine is 1/7.
    Last edited by Texas Solo; 07-31-2015 at 06:13 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]