Thread: First time rifle build ever would appreciate advice

Bolts

First time rifle build ever would appreciate advice

Hi guys
    i'm in the process of a first time ever rifle build useing a Savage PTA and a Criterion SS match grade bull barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmore. I have been researching the availability of stocks inletted for this action and the only vendor that makes a stock that I like which is of a benchrest configuration has a lot of controversy surrounding his business. So I am skeptical about placing an order with the company. My second choice is the "Evolution "chassis" from XLR Industries. I believe they can deliver the chassis in about seven weeks. Has anyone ever used this chassis ? Can a decent degree of accuracy on a consistant basis be achieved with this chassis? This rifle will only be used at the range punching paper and I don't compete in matches, "YET" LOL. Any advice and reccomendations will be greatly appreciated and I'm not apposed to considering a lightly used benchrest stock for this action if someone is selling one. Savage precision target action, 3 action screws , 4.400 end to end hole. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think far too much emphasis is placed upon the stock as the weak link in accuracy. I shoot my 10FP with under MOA accuracy at 1760 yards, yes, a mile. Painless currently lives in a Ultimate sniper stock, prior to that was in a B&C Duramaxx stock.

So can consistent accuracy be had in that chassis system? Sure, but that depends more upon you, than it.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Bolts
    Very well put! I agree with that, especially with your last sentence. My intent with this build is to put a rifle together with the best components that I can reasonably afford and have a finished product that looks good and shoot hopefully better than I can. I did look at the Choate USS, not to bad for the price, but they don't have an inlet for the Savage PTA.

http://scopeusout.com/custom-rifle-s...target-stocks/ Look here.

Beforwarned these aint cheap! If you decide to call them make sure you get the prices for everything and add it up so you get the shock up front. Turn around time when I did mine was less than 4 weeks and the fit was close to flawless. He does have all the measurements for the 3 screw PTA 4.40" .
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

I have seen lots of guys take a blind mag 4.410 stock like the BVSS stock and fill in the mag well then drill a hole for the center action screw, pillar and bed for great accuracy out of a target action. Dont see why that could not be done. There are a couple of websites like this one where you can find guys selling used stocks also. Expect to pay between 180 to 350 for a decent one.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

6.5Nut
    It's fairly easy to modify the Ult Sni for Sav target action . Just finished 26 Nosler . Tap unused rear hole in TA (1/4-28-Home Depot) , fill magazine cavity (I used shot and bar top epoxy) ,add center pillar , relocate front stock hole to rear . Bar top epoxy gives longer work time than most 'normal' epoxies .Correction -tap and drill-Lowes Irwin tools .
    Last edited by 6.5Nut; 07-31-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Bolts
    Wow, I new I came to the right place. This forum has a wealth of knowledge, experience and good suggestions. Keep it coming. I Need to make my mind up on what stock I'm going to use and I tend to over research things. "Froggy" thanks for the web site link I will look closer at it. It seems to be a little confusing. Will post what I go with soon. Thanks guys

Basic Member
    There are plenty of manufacturers out there that can make the stock for you. Most of the custom stocks are going to be ~$500 and up depending on what you want. I'm going with a Manners stock for the light weight and being cheaper than a McMillan. Stockade and SSS both can build a Savage stock any way you want. The question you have to ask yourself is, how deep are my pockets and how desperately do I want a stock?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.