Thread: Ruger Precision Rifle - Decoding the hype

Ruger Precision Rifle - Decoding the hype

I've seen a good bit of coverage over the last week or so about the new Ruger Precision Rifle. While the concept is interesting, many of the blog posts I've seen borrow heavily from Ruger's press release, which is drenched in marketing hype. Here's the GunsAmerica post I caught sight of, which seems to be a direct copy-paste of a press release. I consider myself pretty well read on the subject of guns, but here are a few of things that stuck out as baffling to me.

• "Minimum headspace" - Since the rifle is built on the American receiver pattern, can we safely assume this means "headspaced like a Savage"?
    • "Centralized chamber" - Even Google can't find any references to this that aren't about the Precision Rifle. I am stumped.
    • "In-line recoil path" - I think I get this. The back of the receiver abuts the buttstock footing. Is that new or just new for a factory rifle? Considering how uncommon it seems to be, does it really confer that great of an advantage?

I also see they tout the easily replaced barrel as a feature, but since the American has a fairly unique shank thread, I would suggest the ease of removing the barrel nut would be overshadowed by the need to have a custom barrel made.

Basic Member
    I think all this is just marketing hype. The "in-line" recoil buzzword I've heard a time or two, but really I think it's just a secondary effect of going with the AR type furniture, killing two birds with one stone as it were. (Tacticool looking AND has real world, justifiable recoil applications. Lol) As for the "centralized chambered", I have no idea.

I've looked a lot at this rifle recently, and for the money, it's going to be hard to beat. You get a LOT of benefits for someone doing PRS style shooting with this thing. I have an Axis build in 6.5 Creedmoor I currently shoot, and it shoots lights out, but this rifle really has me wanting to try one out.

The inline recoil thing is real, considering the stock is directly connected to the rear of the action, not under it, but I'm not sure how much of a benefit it really is in the real world. I'd like to shoot one to see. Frank from the Hide seemed to have really good things to say about the gun, and after shooting it for a few days or a week, told them to send it to him, he wanted to keep it.

It would cost me somewhere in the range of $7-900 to put a chassis and stock on a current gun, possibly more. Especially with folding adapter. This gun gives you a chassis style set up, fully adjustable stock, folding, 20moa base, amazing magazine setup, shorter bolt throw, interchangeable handguard, and a factory threaded 5r barrel for right around $1k street price. That's gonna be hard to beat. Period. (assuming it shoots as well as Frank's gun did).
    Last edited by upSLIDEdown; 07-30-2015 at 12:58 PM.

All you want to know at Ruger Precision Rifle dot com AKA Ruger Precision Rifle Fans
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Yeah buddy Upslidedown. That price smokes the BA. All you want to know at Ruger Precision Rifle dot com AKA Ruger Precision Rifle Fans
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Strutnut
    Im getting ready to get a Long Range hunting platform for most big game animals in NA. I have chosen the Savage LRH in 300WM and plan on putting a Burris XTR II in 4x20 with the SCR reticle. My next rifle will likely be the Ruger Precision Rifle in either a .243 or 6.5. I have seen the groupings, it is accurate. I really like what they have done to that rifles platform for the cost is brilliant. Savage should take note. Either way what has happened to the AR platform, Ruger seems to have done with the bolts and I hope other gun makers do the same. This could be the beginning of something special for gun lovers like me!

I don't know if it will change anything. Savage, Remington, and Mossberg all have chassis-borne factory offerings. While the first two are way more expensive than the Ruger, the Mossberg MVP-LC is not. I know Ruger says their chassis isn't just a chassis, but I'd like to see what the practical ramifications of the in-line recoil system are.