Thread: Hard to chamber round in Savage Hog Hunter

SouthernWoodworking

Hard to chamber round in Savage Hog Hunter

I am having a lot of trouble chambering factory 7.62x51 Greece Nato rounds in my gun. They go in very tight and are hard to eject. Some chamber fine. Why is that? Is it a headspace issue?

Basic Member
    If that is the only rounds you have trouble with then i would lay blame on the ammunition
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    If that is the only rounds you have trouble with then i would lay blame on the ammunition
    Well, I have trouble with reloads but im using the brass from the NATO ammo.

Basic Member
    Is this limited to the decommissioned Greek ammo? Or does this happen to current factory 308 offerings as well? I bet it's the Greek ammo. A lot of "NATO" ammo floating around are seconds or blems that didn't make the cut.

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Is this limited to the decommissioned Greek ammo? Or does this happen to current factory 308 offerings as well? I bet it's the Greek ammo. A lot of "NATO" ammo floating around are seconds or blems that didn't make the cut.
    havent tried any other ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWoodworking View Post
    Well, I have trouble with reloads but im using the brass from the NATO ammo.
    Full length resize, make sure you bump the shoulder back a couple of thousandths. How did you set your sizing die up?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Full length resize, make sure you bump the shoulder back a couple of thousandths. How did you set your sizing die up?
    I've been using fire formed cases from the NATO ammo that are trimmed down. I did for a buddy reload some .308 where I FL resized. Here is how I sized it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDvt4f-dbvM

Did you back your die of 1/4 turn like in the video? Is the die a collet or full length sizing die?

gotcha
    You have a CARTRIDGE head space problem. Particularly, if your having difficulty chambering some factory ammo. Neck sizing with a Lee collet die won't resolved the issue until you stabilize the cartridge head space measurement...... Full length re-size so that brass chambers easily. Ideally you want .001" to .002" clearance at the shoulder. If you don't have a cartridge head space tool, hand tighten your F/L die down to shell holder with two pieces of typing paper on top of shell holder (.008" clearance) then full length resize and check that brass will chamber. Turn die in (down) 1/16th turn at a time until cartridge chambers with minimum resistance....... check several, if not all, cartridges in chamber as you may need an additional die adjustment to get all cartridges uniform in head space. Let us know how this works for you :)
    Last edited by gotcha; 07-30-2015 at 11:21 AM.

gotcha
    Forgot to mention. Start F/L resizing with fired cases that are difficult to re-chamber. Also. if you suspect a chamber headspace issue a local gunsmith can use go, no-go gauges to verify your chamber is in "spec". If you're reloading for your Buddy the F/L sizing procedure would apply to his chamber also, as his chamber can be of different dimension than yours.

yep. Use a wax lube for the most consistent results.

gotcha
    +1 for Robinhood.