Thread: Barrel recommendation

Sideways

Barrel recommendation

Greetings,
    I am interested in purchasing a new barrel and muzzle brake for my Axis 308. I was told a heavier barrel and muzzle brake would help in reducing recoil. Its no issue for me but when I take the wife shooting she would rather shoot the .223 for less recoil. I would like her to get accustomed to the larger caliber for longer distance targets. Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance :)

You cant go wrong with McGowan, CBI, XCaliber, Shilen or Pac-Nor prefits. companies like 4d and Barrel Man also resell other manufacturers prefits often for a better price. Apache is not taking orders right now but he does a fine job of rechambering. You could also contact Dean or "Scope eye" and he can help you with a barrel at a good price.

As far as a good chambering the 243, 260 or 7mm-08 is great for long range, easy, on the shoulder and to reload for. .243 and 7mm08 is easy to find and 260 is gaining popularity.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

A couple times over the last month or so Midway has had their 7mm-08 E.R. Shaw barrel kit (includes barrel nut wrench and headspace gauges) on clearance for $140.

Basic Member
    I would look at something like this to install in the stock:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/678...ProductFinding. Using reduced loads and mercury could reduce the recoil to more acceptable levels than rebarreling the rifle.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    A clamp on muzzle break may be another option. Witt Machine brakes get mentioned often, but I have no first hand knowledge of their efficiency.

Witt Machine brakes get mentioned often
    I can say the one I purchased has no effect on a 300 win mag
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

BW64
    My Witt brake changed my .308 to shooting like a .223 in recoil. Inexpensive also.

BW

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I can say the one I purchased has no effect on a 300 win mag
    Well that sucks. You would think with the higher velocity/gas volume, the brake would do something.

JCalhoun
    I will also recommend going the .260 route. Mild recoil with lots of performance

Basic Member
    As far as the prefit barrels go, I've had experience with everyone on the list, the ONLY chamber I've had cut that was decent was a Criterion, and I sent a brand new reamer to them. Mcgowen has been the worst.

I gave up on prefits and now buy contoured blanks and thread and chamber myself.

Sideways
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to look into the brake and go from there. I mean how often will she be shooting it anyway.

Basic Member
    I recommend Apache Gun Works and Skinner Gun Works for all my barrel work. Top quality, inexpensive as well as high end options available.