Thread: Redfield Scopes

Redfield Scopes

Have been looking at various scopes for the "new" 116. One that has stood out is the Redfield Battlezone 6-18x44. Specs sound good, and it is a MOA/MOA setup. Now I find out that it has been discontinued. Called Redfield and was told that " it just wasn't selling that well". Does anyone know any other reason that they were "not selling well"?
    AP

Basic Member
    Bolthead, I think (my opinion) that Redfield has been perceived as a lower end quality scope. The original Redfield (pre-1998) made sturdy, good value products. My fathers Remington 700 6mm has worn a Redfield Widefield x6 fixed power for 40+ years. He wouldn't dare change it, and it has countless rounds down its tube, and is responsible for scores of deer and coyotes. After the original company folded, it changed hands so many times and in turn I think quality suffered. In the end the Redfield name is tarnished with cheap Tasco likeness. Regardless if this is warranted, brand perception is key. I did hope after Leupold bought them they could get back on track, but I'm afraid Leupold is using the name for their lower end market. I also looked at the Battlezone, it looks to be a good value and I would assume it fills a niche, but I don't think any high end precision rifleman would boast about having a Redfield on his long range precision rig. (IMHO) The thing that turned me off is the MOA/MOA (turrets/reticle) as all my other scopes are Mil/Mil and I don't want to confuse myself more than I already do! AND the deal breaker was the second focal plane reticle. After using a FFP for years, no other will do. The ability to range and accurate holdovers and any magnification are the only way to go. So it was a no go for me. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by BlueDog; 07-13-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Jim Baker reviewed one model of Redfield and I respect his opinion. He had nothing but praise for the scope in 3x9 power if I remember correctly. Marketing and reputation are two factors that go into the success of a product initially. Quality ends up being the final factor.

The thing about scopes is most people only buy one every several years, with the introduction of the Asian garbage many people got burned on cheap scopes. I cant figure out someone putting a 150 glass on a 400 dollar rifle. There are two many critical internal parts on a multi power scope to go cheap. A rifle that you cant rely on because of a cheap built scope is worthless.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I have one of the new Revenge 6-18x40 models and I really like it. Glass is just as clear as any Leupold VXII I have ever looked through and more than likey the same glass. It is a very robust and solid scope and for the price you just cant go wrong. Here is a Review article I did for the Varmint Hunter Magazine. Page 154. The only real complaint I had with the scope was that it is actually 1/8" clicks instead of the advertised 1/4" click value.

http://varminthunter.org/Portals/0/D...14_Issue92.pdf

Edit to add looks like the preview issue doesn't quite go far enough. If anyone wants a copy of the review I can email a copy just shoot me a PM.

Basic Member
    I have two of the Leupold/Redfield scopes. One is a 3x9 revolution mounted on a Savage 22 mag.
    The other is a 3x9 battlezone mounted on a Ruger hawkeye 223. Both are simply jeep guns where
    little to no dialing will ever take place. That said i have dialed the battlezone and it functioned well.
    I wouldnt choose to use one on a heavy recoiling long range magnum, but then i wouldnt be using
    lots of others either. As for holdovers, so long as you see the bullet hit it shouldnt pose any problem
    regardless of what focal plane the scope has. Fact is 10 years ago the discussion wouldnt have taken place
    because there werent any to argue about. And there werent many computers or sites like this to make everybody smart.
    Regardless of all that there was a surprising ammount of very good shooters.

Still quite new to shooting centerfire and using a scope. Pretty much a pistol and shotgun guy until a couple of years ago when I saw a Yugo M48 8mm Mauser in a pawn shop. First round down the pipe and I was hooked. Then came a classic '70s vintage Savage 111 "Chieftain" 30-06 that really needed some love. It shoots better than I can, but the old eyballs aren't what they used to be, so it was time for a scope. Picked up a Tasco/Bushnell 4-16x40 to learn with and in retrospect, for the price, it is fairly clear and has stood up to the 30-06 quite well. Now for the 116... All of my shooting is 100 yds at the local range so far, so I am really looking to find a decent $250-$300 scope that I can improve my skills with. Seems like every maker has their own idea about reticles. Mil-dot with MOA turrets, No-dots, little red dot that lights up, little triangles, and so on. Finding a Mil-Mil or a MOA-MOA, isn't easy these days. Simple is good.

Basic Member
    Living where you do, and with the type shooting you do, about any decent scope will work.
    Buying one like a Redfield with dialing ability could be a plus and would allow for your experimenting.
    Dont be concerned about the dial matching the reticle at this point. For the most part its mind over matter.

Basic Member
    The revenge 6-18x44 was pretty good for the 100 yards mentioned. Can spot 223 hits no problem. Would mirage a little at 16-18 but conditions were ripe for it.

Mine wasn't the battlezone model and only had 20moa total travel. Had to use burris sig rings to align it on my old flat back. No problem on an Axis.

I may have one up for sale in a week or so if you're interested...though it is painted.

I didn't have any problems with it, but I was switching over to Mil/Mil and wanted an FFP scope if I got a variable, which I got in the Primary Arms 4-14X44 that replaced my Battlezone. I mentioned my persistent delusion about shooting long ranges in another thread, but one other factor I considered was the limited adjustment. On my 20 MOA rail I was technically exceeding Redfield's adjustment range specs (18 MOA in any direction). Were I to put it on a 0 MOA rail, I'd exceed my elevation adjustment at 800 yards with my .243 Winchester.

But that's a problem you'd encounter with any 18x scope with a 1 in tube and not one I expect to affect the bulk of my shooting. Mechanically, the scope was pretty good. It had decent glass for daylight shooting, not unforgivably bad adjustments, and a few neat features. Alone among the Battlezone scopes, it was equipped with two BDC turrets and one that just counts MOA. Ultimately it was what I expected for the price I paid, which was about $200 when I got it. Had I known better, I'd have gone with the PA scope first and had I known even more, I probably would've saved up a little bit more to get an SWFA.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 07-14-2015 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Revised adjustment feel statement.

Basic Member
    Because it's not a Leupold! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

The elevation adjustment is easily fixed with burris signature zee rings and the 20 MOA inserts. Like I mentioned before I have one mounted on a 6.5-06AI and with a 200 yards zero with 20MOA inserts I am able to reach out to 1200 yards no problem. Mileage may vary depending on caliber but it shouod be able to get you out as far as you would like to shoot.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the information. I have learned so much from this forum. Am taking a serious look at the PA scopes. Have heard many good things about them. More learning to do.

AP

A correction to the feel of the adjustment, which I had previously described as soft: I just pulled my Battlezone out of my drawer of retired scopes and was shocked that the adjustments were quite crisp. The marks weren't terribly well aligned, which may have been what I was thinking about, but they are better aligned than many of my cheap scopes.

I have one of the new Revenge 6-18x40 models and I really like it.
    Have the Revenge 6-18x44 with the Varmint reticle. Like it a lot also.

buymore
    Revolutions Made in USA, Revenge Made in Philippines, not sure about Battlezone series? I was told by Leupold dealer that Revolution on par with VXII's but less glitzy finish.

Battlezones are from the Philippines. There is, however, a Revolution scope with the Tac-MOA reticule and tactical turrets. I have one of those but need to buy another rifle to put it on!

111LRH
    I have 3 revolutions 2 are 3x9x40 & 4x12x40 also have an old 3x9x40 widefield, have nothing but good things to say about the revolution!! The revolutions are made in the USA & compare easily with Leupold vx-II.

I know this thread is starting to age a little but I thought I'd throw $.02 in. I have several of the Redfields mentioned, both the battlezone and the revolution. The battlezone is a neat unit and does ok but dialing it is a little more complicated and slower than just holding over like with the accurange recticle that the revolution uses. I wouldn't say either has quite the resolution (ability to see detail) of a VX2.
    The budget scope that has knocked my socks off as far as value for the money is the Burris E1 and I have purchased several since their introduction. Crazy good light transmission and exit pupil (amount of light that actually makes it through the scope to your eye) and super clear with very good resolution. easily equal to or better than scopes costing much more.
    The one thing that you cant do at most stores is tell squat about a scope by looking through it inside most stores. If you want to check em out side by side in a shop then go online print and take an optic resolution target or optomitrist style eye chart with you. It's probably the most accurate method to determine a scopes capability and it will make it much easier to see what the differences are between scopes.
    Never have been able to figure out why big sporting goods stores don't put up resolution targets or eye charts in the store??? Probably exposes too many flaws in house brand scopes.
    Good luck and I'm sure you'll get something suitable.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.