Thread: Tasco optic question

Sideways

Wink Tasco optic question

What is your opinions on a Tasco 6-24x42mm? I am looking for an optic and this one is being offered to me for free.99 to start some longer range target. What would you guys recommend is a distance that this optic would max out at? I would appreciate any information or opinions.

What is your opinions on a Tasco 6-24x42mm?
    Run

What would you guys recommend is a distance that this optic would max out at?
    From where you are standing, to the trash can.

Really. If it is an older World Class you might have something but mostly they are the Wal-mart 19.99 Bushnell scopes. It might work on a 22 but after that the internals are just not reliable. It is free however and you could shoot out to 1000 with it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Sideways
    VAR624X42M is the number on the box.

Newer Varmint / Target scope.

Use it (it's free) and see how YOU feel about it. It would not be for me other than sa a 50-100yd optic for my Savage .22LR (just me though).
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Team Savage
    For the price, you can't go wrong. I have a bunch of Tasco scopes and they work fine for me. 6X24, 8X32 and a couple of fixed power 36s. All work great and no worries if they get hit while hunting or shooting. Much better than watching your $500.00 to $1500.00 + scope hit the ground as it falls off the bench.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Much better than watching your $500.00 to $1500.00 + scope hit the ground as it falls off the bench.
    Gut wrencher I tell you.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I had the same scope on an Axis 243 earlier this year. Ten years ago it would have been acceptable but I'm finding that I need better glass now with my aging eyes. Changing to a better scope didn't improve 100 yard groups but the picture is clearer and eye strain much less.

Not all cheap scopes are junk. I believe it greatly depends on the user and expectations. I've had a BSA Contender 6-24x50 on a TC Encore 22-250 for nearly 20 years and have never had a problem after many hundreds of rounds and about as many dead chucks. The only time the turret caps have been off was when I switched from 50g Nosler BT to 55g Hornady VMAX.

FWIW....I mountedthat scope on my 223 axis..I just shot out to 450m. Couldn't go more wind kicked up. Its not piss poor, it works. My philosophy was to buy a "budget gun" with budget accessories shoot walmart ammo and sneer at the guy next to me with the hi-dollar rig as I'm out shooting him. But thats me, it works....do I wnt a PST? HELL YA.. But not my goal.. Get it ...it works it won't bankrupt you. When you're done put it on eBay

And to answer your question... I have been out to 500m....the groups weren't great.... (I was shooting Hornady Steel Match 55g hpbt. I was getting 3 1/2" groupings... The Tasco was relatively clear... The AO works great. You'll need it. I am shooting a .223, the Axis prefers 55gr. I've tried heavier but crappy groups. People will tell you steer clear. That's fine... Ultimately its your skillset that'll get you on target. A good rifle, a precision bullet and the atmosphere, not the scope will put you on target. BTW its free... You dont want it ...send it to me. Good luck... Again rely on your own skills not a strangers opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    its free... Good luck... Again rely on your own skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Run

From where you are standing, to the trash can.
    Some of the best advise.

It's free, if you don't have a scope, now you do. If you think you are going to set the world on fire with it, you can't.
    It's going to be a typical SFP, mismatched POS. So forget the notion of dialing, unless you plan on packing a calculator. Use it to learn fundamentals of marksmanship. 99.999% of all "problems" are the shooter, not the equipment.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Some of the best advise.

It's free, if you don't have a scope, now you do. If you think you are going to set the world on fire with it, you can't.
    It's going to be a typical SFP, mismatched POS. So forget the notion of dialing, unless you plan on packing a calculator. Use it to learn fundamentals of marksmanship. 99.999% of all "problems" are the shooter, not the equipment.
    So the answer is,^^^^^^buy the cheapest of everything and learn how to use it.
    BUT, its gotta have big **** i mean ffp with matching turrets. lol

Well I certainly agree with the second sentence!!

I was too lazy to look-up the specs, but the OP should do it. I would be absolutly stunned if it actually has any adjustment range to speak of.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.