Thread: Most rigid Boyd's stock style ?

Basic Member

Most rigid Boyd's stock style ?

OK, I'm gonna replace my much modified (and not very much improved) plastic Axis stock with one of Boyd's. My question is what style gets the best marks for rigidity? (pencil barrel in .223 for now, but better things to come.)

I am leaning towards a laminate thumb hole, but I want to go with the most rigid. (I assume the laminates would be more rigid and the thumbhole is most comfortable for me.)

Pillar or even "V" block bedding is not off the table. I would be most interested in what you guys think...

Let the games begin !

Thanks, Paul
    Last edited by red caddy 51; 07-28-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Basic Member
    I'm biased, but I love both my Pro Varmints. Neither are "carrying around" guns though.

Basic Member
    For the axis, all I have done is "Classic" style in laminate. Made some 450BM with it (plenty of recoil) and saw awesome improvement in feel, some improvement in accuracy at 100 yards (went from about .9 inch to .75 inch) but only shot them a few times and turned around and sold them to some hunting buddies.

I would not have guessed that stock would have made such a difference, but it did. Moreover, I would not guess it would be considered the stiffest of the Boyds stocks, but based on that experience alone, I would not worry about it. Stiff is stiff.

Pick one you like and shoot it. You won't be disappointed.

I would think any of the laminates would be a great improvement. Going for an old school look, like the hunting rifles in the catalogs I dreamed about as a young one, I went with the Heritage, and I love it. You could probably just get your favorite, or the most comfy and go to town with it. I have further plans as well such as bedding... I also find their stocks to be very nice looking. Here's mine in Nutmeg with the 90 degree finish, checkering, plastic caps and white line spacers.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Basic Member
    ^^^^^ that's about the nicest I've ever seen.

Basic Member
    Before I started reading, I didn't think that was a Boyd's and that you were going suggest another type stock. Great looking classic look!!
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    Have a Pro Varmint and Varmint Thumbhole both are very rigid and I think either would be fine for a .223 Sporter or even a bull barrel. The Pro Varmint has a 26'' Heavy Varmint barrel and the thumbhole is coupled with a 24'' Light Varmint barrel and I don't have any problems out of either.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Any of the Boyds centerfire laminate stock options will be plenty rigid for any caliber rifle. The only Boyds designs I ever questioned the strength on are the SS Evolution and Barracuda rimfire stocks that have a massive amount of material removed in the buttstock area leaving thin connecting strips.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

rfd12fv
    for the axis models offered, they're literally all good 'n stiff - pick out the one that most strikes yer fancy and go for it!

One thing to keep in mind if you plan on going with a heavy barrel later on is that some Boyds stocks don't have enough real estate on top of the forearm to inlet for the extra girth and still keep the rails along the side. For example the Classic and Platinum have the same basic profile, but the Classic has a finger groove forearm with a narrow top while the Platinum has an oval forearm with enough space for a varmint barrel.

Basic Member
    ^^^True, but I have put heavy barrels on the classic as well. It works fine. THe Platinum allows for checkering all around the underside, too, though. (Checkering on the classic is just on the sides of the forearm.)

Basic Member
    Thinks it's pretty obvious that the most rigid as asked will be the one with the most material and and most weight. I would gander that the pro varmint meets that criteria in the end.

rfd12fv
    no, not necessarily the most material or weight, since either can be soft and not comparatively dense. stock material placement also highly matters. i think the boyds varmint thumbhole axis models are the "most rigid" from front to back, and those are all i use. particularly like the way a thumbhole has that added top web which supports the stock and action from top to bottom. but it's all good and ymmv.

Basic Member
    RFD,
    I think our age and experience pointed us to the same conclusion. I too prefer the thumbhole style, 'specially if I take the time to really fit the grip to my knuckle dragger paws. I usually end up adding some to the palm swell. (cowhide) It can be a little fugly looking, but feels good and solid when chasing the dragon at distance.

This particular piece is going to be the test bed for some pistol rounds: 22 TCM, 7.62 X 25, and perhaps a couple of the .223 based wildcats.

V block bedding with micrometer barrel supports and maybe even some threaded tuner cans are all in the works...

I was just doing my homework, thanks to all who voiced opinions.

paul.

tper75296
    got one like DaddyUSMaximus for Boyd' with certain cosmetic details and an updated pad. Use the "composite-surround" DBM frame and it locked up the action. Tried all kinds of shimming. Stock CRACKED at the rear action screw; hand tightened then torqued to lowest in# found here on sight that would hold. Loosened after 20 rounds of factory ammo.

Am thinking the advise on the "plastic" from this sight elsewhere was not good. Anyone else experience fit issues with the "composite" surround frames?

I take it this a stock for a Model 10 or 110, tper? Not to draw this conversation too far away from Axis stocks, I do have one for my Model 11 with which I've used a plastic bottom (part #109400). I had no trouble with it.

My rifle is an Axis. It's my only Savage gun. I know nothing about switching out bottom metal on a bolt gun. I plan to send my stock to CDI and have them do mine one day.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

tper75296
    did you have to use any spacers or "pillar" parts additional to shim it up off the action when in the wood Boyd's stock? (mine model 11 xp TH .260)