Thread: Suggestions for a scope compatable with muzzlebrake

Vincent

Suggestions for a scope compatable with muzzlebrake

Hello guys. Im sure is been addressed but i had little luck searching. Basically all im looking for is a list of scope models or brands that are muzzle brake compatable. Please no Nightforce. WAY WAY to expensive. Im thinking sub 500$

Basic Member
    Vincent, I think you could help us help you by steering us in a particular direction and perhaps for a particular firearm. Hunting scope? Tactical? Low power? Etc, etc. A 458 has different needs than a 204.

I'm confused, what makes you think there's anything about a scope that determines whether it's muzzle brake compatible or not?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Vincent
    I sent Nikon (I have a pro staff 2.0) an email. They told me that the negative /reverse recoil caused from the bake will crack my lenses. I have read this many different places n that's what prompted my email to them.

I have a Savage 10fcp-sr .308. Its the new model 2015. The usage for this gun is mostly target, some hunting. My vision isn't what it was so i believe a variable high power is best. Basically i go to the range a couple times a week n shoot targets sometimes i use tanerite to blow stuff up lol I have friends that hunt n i will go with them from time to time aswell. I hope this helps and thank you very very much for ur help guys

Basic Member
    I have several braked rifles, two of them are 308's. One has a JP (Cooley) style brake that works well, but has tremendous blast. If my brother is shooting it at the next bench, my sinuses get buffeted pretty good, and it clears my bench of empty shell boxes and empty water bottles. The scope has lived for years on it and I've never had a dimes worth of trouble from it. I think your Nikon would be safe.

Vincent
    See i read that on forums as well. Some say it's fine other say it's damaging. Nikon told me using a muzzle brake will void my warranty. Im very tempted to just buy a brake but there is always that voice in my head that's days bad idea Vinnie lol. Does anyone with a Nikon prostaff have experience with a muzzle brake?

Basic Member
    I have several Nikons, although none on a braked firearm. Just my 2˘, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Nikon on one if it were mine.

Basic Member
    First I've heard of a braked gun ruining a scope. Most from what I've seen are rifles similar to Springfield M1A with the heavy rearward bolt damaging scopes. Any of your name brand scopes int the ~$500 should have no problems. I would start to worry if you are shooting the barska, trashco, and similar scopes. Those scopes are great paperweights.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Get a scope that has a real warranty and or quality construction. Knowing what type of shooting you do will bring advice on the scope you should consider.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    +1. Get a Vortex Viper or Leupold VX-2 with a lifetime no-hassle warranty and go shoot what you want. Life is too short.

Vincent
    The nikon has a life time warranty as well. I mentioned that i mostly (90%) just target shot at the range. I have no issues buying a score under 500. Leupold or vortex or any other as long as it's a decent quality. Ik nikon is decent quality. I read reviews and comparisons for a month or so n settle on the Prostaff. It's a great score imo but i just don't want to break it.

I had a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x44mm on a .223 with a brake, though the brake was not really needed the scope held up fine. That's not terribly helpful, I know. I've had no problems with Nikon ProStaff scopes on anything I've put them on, though I don't think I've had them on anything else with a brake. I think one—probably the aforementioned 3-9—was on my Saiga .308 for a short while. The Saiga also didn't have a brake, but it does have a reverse impulse from its heavy bolt carrier.

My usual recommendation for budget scopes now is either SWFA or Primary Arms for tactical-style scopes. For more traditional hunting scopes, I haven't much recent experience. I've been mildly impressed with some of the Redfield scopes I've tried, both import and US-made, but don't have much upscale glass to make the comparison.

Ok so some guys scope craps out.
    The next thing you know you're reading a post about a muzzle brake damaging a rifle scope.
    The internet lore and those that read and fall for all the crap just keeps getting better and better.
    Just when you thought you had heard it all LOL.

Guess nobody better tell my early .300RUM :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Vincent
    Dude it came right from nikon themselves to.

Basic Member
    Dude any scope company tells me a muzzle brake voids the warranty on their products then they move to my do not use list
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Vincent
    I agree. That's why I'm looking for a new scope.....

What I would like to see would be an email from Nikon responding to a customers issue where they say the muzzle break will damage their scopes. I do believe that with all of the complaints they get with package scopes, they would say anything to a person was was gullible to keep from having to warrant the worthless products they sold by the pallet full to Savage for them to put on their XP models
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

A lot of folks don't like brakes for various reasons but I am a huge fan. I love the recoil reduction they provide and even love the Savage adjustable radial style brake. Have quite a few braked rifles and have never experienced a scope failure I would attribute to a brake. I can tell you what scopes have worked for me and I assure you none of them are $night$force$
    Man I have had an older made in USA Burris Fullfield 2 4.5-14x42 0n my .300 RUM (braked) for several years of informal target shooting before I used it as a backup on an Alabama deer hunt and blew a couple of deer to smithereens with it as we say in the south a purty fer piece out. After that I decided it was too much gun for hunting in the Southeast U.S. and put the scope on a 22-250. It's been a darn good scope that's handled quite a bit of harsh recoil and never let me down. I have had a Leupold vari x2 on a 116FLCSAK in 30-06 that has seen a bazillion rounds and the only time it has ever lost zero was when I dropped it 24' out of a tree. It shot 1/2" left at 100 after that. I re zeroed it and It's been dead on ever since. I have a model 10PC with a locally made radial style brake on it and a model 10 TR with a JP Benny Cooly brake and they are both topped with the newer Burris E1 3-9x40s. In my opinion the newer Burris E1s are the best bang for the buck that I have run across in optics. I have a little .308 lightweight knock around farm carbine that has an ASK research brake on it that's wearing a second hand Vortex Diamondback. A braked 111 in .270 with a Redfield Revolution. and those are just the Savages. I have 2 more braked Remingtons in magnum calibers wearing a Baush and lomb 3200 and a leupold VX3 and a DPMS LR308 with a JP tank style wearing a cheap Vortex.
    If Nikon is trying to blow smoke up your skirt about a brake tearing up your scope then I don't have a clue what to think about them as a company.
    About the best bang for the buck I have found in the last couple of years is the Burris E1. It comes with a forever warranty I have never needed, is very bright and clear even in low light and tracks very very well.

PS Might want to ask Nikon if you are allowed to put your rifle on your shoulder when you fire it since that absorbs recoil and slows the rearward motion so quickly. :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    When you send a scope in for warranty, they have no idea what kind of gun it's been used on. Nor is it relevant. You don't send the gun with it. I think someone at Nikon fed you a load of something stinky. None of their scopes come with instructions that say "not for use with muzzle brakes."