Well my first Savage now graces my abode. A new m12 LRP in 260.

I've been a Remington guy for nearly 40 years and have been so disappointed with their QC over the last decade or so that I refused to buy new any longer.

Last year I decided to put together a 1000-1500 yard live Prairie dog rifle and possibly shoot some 1000 yard matches at our club. At first I was going with a Defiance Deviant action in 260AI with a good 1-8 twist barrel, jewel trigger, and HS precision stock (mainly cause I've already got it laying around). After researching the AI vs standard chambering, the lack of Wilson dies for it along with the expense of custom dies I decided to go with the standard 260. After all, this is for punching paper and light skinned varmints. Several of my "very anal type" fellow shooters have been praising Savage for a while now. I've always known them to be good to great shooters, just been stuck in a Remington rut, so to speak.

I set it up with an EGW 20 MOS base & 8.5-25 Leupold with a varmint reticle. Now that I've got the rifle I can start doing some ladder testing with RE15, RE17, H4350. 140 and 123 Amax's, along with Berger 140's in Forster benchrest dies. I processed 200 rds Of Lapua 260 brass this winter so that's all ready to go. Then it's just the time at the range in good conditions to decide on the final recipe.

Any suggestions for combinations that are working? I figure there's no reason to reinvent the wheel when unnecessary.

Al