Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H4831sc OCW...

LongRange

H4831sc OCW...

ill start this by saying half way through this OCW i get a call from the wife that the kids left the door open last night and my fat seizure having dog is gone so i tried to hurry through so i could look for him...i get home and spend 3 hours looking and asking everyone i see and posted fliers all over.
    after all this i figured the coyotes got him.

the only reason i even shot this OCW is because last weekend at the match i had several shots that should of been hits and were near misses...most were JUST high and a couple just low and by JUST i mean the misses were so close i was scratching my head wondering WTF!!
    my match load is 42.9g of H4350 which honestly is a little hot as its pushing a 142g SMK at 2880 to 2900FPS..which i like..but when it heats up in the afternoons i have to drop 1/2 to 3/4 MOA to stay on target and thats keeping my ammo wrapped in a towel and only chambering a round when im on target and ready to shoot.

anyway i get home and check the OCW target against my data book and heres how it all looked...
    ALL loads were
    H4831sc
    fully prep'd lapua brass .003 neck tension..53.4 to 53.6g H2o capacity
    CCI BR-2 seated with .004 crush
    142g SMK seated .025 off the lands
    barrel was cleaned this morning before the test
    test at 100yds shot round robin

first 3 are sighters...

this is the lowest charge in the test...i chrony'd all these loads but my chrony was acting up...i had one shot that was 6466FPS at 15ft from the muzzle LOL...first round of this group was 2827FPS number 2 was 2844 number 3 did not register...

the 45.8g group..

Last edited by LongRange; 08-15-2015 at 05:12 PM.

LongRange
    i loaded up 6 rounds at 45.8g and 6 rounds at 46.9gs and headed back out(a little distracted) and shot these two loads at 406yds...by now its 12:30-1:00 and 96degs out and the mirage is bad as i could barely make out the 1" dots on the target let alone see any holes...but that may have been a good thing LOL...i shot the 46.9g load first and it didnt fare so well which is fine as i chrony'd it at 2887 to 2912FPS this morning.

then i shot 3 rounds of the 45.8g load and my phone rings...yep...someone found my fat seizure having dog...about 8 miles from my house...so now im more distracted and in a hurry so i shot the last 3 rounds...now like i said i couldnt see the holes as i was shooting but im guessing that the first 3 rounds are the ones in the orange....either way all of these 4831 loads are tunable...ill get back to this tomorrow....

and my fat dog...hes tore up from a night on the town...and lucky the coyotes didnt get him...he had a seizure some time during the night because hes got piss all over him and slime all over his face...all i can say is the kids are lucky because mom WAS PISSED...and crying at the same time...so that concludes another drama filled day at the edge of nevada....stay tuned for tomorrows episode LOL!!

Last edited by LongRange; 08-15-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Basic Member
    Those are some awesome result's there LongRange & some very nice shooting .
    looking forward to the next episode....

Cheer's

Basic Member
    Can you remind me which of your 260's this is?

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Can you remind me which of your 260's this is?
    sorry forgot to include....this is the long action 260...it was a 300WM...
    its the 110BA model
    PT&G bolt head
    sav-2 trigger
    murphy precision 20moa base
    NF ATACR NF 6 hole rings
    shilen select match tactical chamber with about .260 free bore...142g SMK touching the lands is 2.992

my other 260 is getting a complete over haul..it will soon be in an evolution chassis and sporting a 27-28" heavy varmint 1/8 bartlien barrel...im having Dave Manson make me a reamer...the reamer will be the same as the shilen tac at the neck(.296) but will be about .003 over virgin lapua brass in the body area and about .220 free bore(still unsure on this).260 is to much unless shooting 139g lapuas...ive been playing with all of this for awhile and im 99% sure this is as close to a perfect reamer as you can get for a standard 260 and 140g class bullets...ill post up the reamer print when i get the details worked out with manson.

LongRange
    well this is an awesome combo in this rifle...i got out and set up by 7am and shot 3 groups at 330yds just to verify things and play with seating depth a little and see if it would tighten up a little...i seated 5 at .015 off and 5 at .030 off at 45.8gs and 5 at .025 but at 45.5gs..the 45.5g load was about 2"..the 45.8g load at .015 was about 2" and heres the 45.8g load at .030 off...the far right shot was mostly me and partly the wind...first 4 rounds it was just a real light breeze and all most instantly was blowing about 10mph left to right...

you gotta love being able to play with seating depth on your tail gate...the .015 load chrony'd at 2825 to 2842FPS and the .030 load was 2815 to 2836fps...

LongRange
    i seated 25 rounds at .025 off the lands(still playing with seating but .030 is looking best at this point)and shot them out at 330-425-550-and 650yds every round was on steel except the 2 i didnt change elevation for(im trying to get some vids uploaded to photo bucket but they dont want to go)...the elevation change was quite a bit from the H4350 load but the H4831 load is MUCH more predictable...my ammo was 70degs when i started shooting at distance and after 15 rounds i had my dopes dialed so i let my ammo sit in the sun and heat up...it was windy so it only made it up to 89degs and the only real change was at 650yds it shot about 3/4" higher than when it was 70degs...checked with a lazer temp gauge...and my wind holds are about 1 moa more out to 425 and about 2 moa out at 550 and 650yds...ill try and get the vids up...they are crappy Iphone vids but youll see what i mean by windy LOL.

H4350 load elev.....H4831 elev
    650yds 10.25........11.5
    550yds 8.25..........9.25
    425yds 5.25..........5.75
    330yds 2.25..........2.75....these may drop by .25 moa because i think my 200yd zero is a little low now as well.
    Last edited by LongRange; 08-16-2015 at 03:34 PM.

LongRange
    Round 1 at 650yds...its a hit left side barely caught the bottom edge

Last edited by LongRange; 08-16-2015 at 05:07 PM.

LongRange
    Round 3 425yds

Last edited by LongRange; 08-16-2015 at 05:12 PM.

LongRange
    Round 4 330yds

LongRange
    I thought i had a 550yds vid but i guess not....the 650yd target is 18"x18" and the 1st shot was at 10.75moa elevation and i was holding at the right edge and it just barely caught the far left lower edge...a 1/2" lower would of missed.

Basic Member
    That's good shooting and load work for sure. I enjoy reading all you're tests and think about what I could do better, but feel like I'd shoot out a barrel before I got to seriously use it if I followed the same program.

That's good shooting and load work for sure. I enjoy reading all you're tests and think about what I could do better, but feel like I'd shoot out a barrel before I got to seriously use it if I followed the same program.
    Haha, I've thought the same thing before. I enjoy reading all of it though, for sure. Wish I had the places available to shoot that you do. I have to have my buddy with me to go to the place we shoot, since he's the one with permission to be there. I really need to find somewhere I can go when I want to, and not have to match schedules with someone else.

LongRange
    ive said it here before...id probable be a good trigger man if i spent more time shooting than i do play with things. two of my problems are 1 i get bored easily so once something works i start thinking i might be able to make it better...and 2 i dont believe 80% of what i see and 99% of what i hear lol...i like to know how things work from my own testing...like primers...i did a ton of reading on primers and what ppls thoughts were on them...hottest,coldest,most accurate,most consistent and with all the different opinions out there i went on a primer testing spree...i shot over 600 rounds testing primers im my 300wm and my 260 and my field results were a lot different then most of what i read and heard.
    the reloader line of powders is another little test i did after reading every where how temp sensitive it is...i bet total ive shot out at least one barrel just playing with different things to see the real world results...along the way ive done some stupid things as well but now i know first hand just how far i can push things.
    i did a little test yesterday that most ppl reading this probable didnt even notice by checking my ammo temp when i start shooting and then letting it sit in the sun and come up to 89deg...i forgot my lunch box or i would of put 5 rounds in it for awhile and then shot them but theres always next weekend lol.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Haha, I've thought the same thing before. I enjoy reading all of it though, for sure. Wish I had the places available to shoot that you do. I have to have my buddy with me to go to the place we shoot, since he's the one with permission to be there. I really need to find somewhere I can go when I want to, and not have to match schedules with someone else.
    its nice being able to drive 15mins from my drive way and be shooting

Basic Member
    LR, you need to write a series of articles for Jim to put up. First one being the quickest way to accurate load. Then the rest based on data you've gathered on powders, primers, etc.

LongRange
    LR, you need to write a series of articles for Jim to put up. First one being the quickest way to accurate load. Then the rest based on data you've gathered on powders, primers, etc.
    im not a writer im a roofer LOL!!

the problem with that is ppl are set in their ways and believe everything they read because some top shooter said "this is the best" and im just some guy!!
    and i will admit im NOT the best trigger man(as you can see just about every group i post has a pulled shot)but i post the good with the bad...like yobuck says all the time....ppl post up about these extreme long range shots or little tiny groups but they fail to mention how many shots it took to accomplish them and also fail to mention that it dont happen consistently... im far from an expert on loading but what i do know and post is from real world tests and experience.
    i see a lot of posts on forums that make me laugh or scratch my head thinking WTF??especially the extreme long range shots...ive shot some pretty ELR distances and its not ding ding ding every time out its more often then not puffs of dust lol!!

I'm interested in your primer testing. Did you post it here?

Basic Member
    Ya but you're not being paid by anyone! 100% 3rd party using your own personal time. That's why what you have to say interests me.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    I'm interested in your primer testing. Did you post it here?
    Ya but you're not being paid by anyone! 100% 3rd party using your own personal time. That's why what you have to say interests me.
    ive tried to post a little primer info 3 times to day but my net services sucks...ill get back to you guys im not ignoring you.

Basic Member
    Appreciated, I've only used and continue to use CCI #200's. They have just been easy to work with.

LongRange
    IMHO....and from the primer testing i did...CCIs are the most consistent primers made and produce the lowest ESs...remingtons and winchester are the worst...in one of my tests i had 3 FTFs with rems and 2 with winchesters....ive never had a FTF with any other primer...wolfs are decent but vary lot to lot...feds are to hot unless running very slow powders in large case and even then the ESs are pretty high.
    The fed 210m is the most widely used and sold primer but when i was testing you could of hit the lotto easier than finding them...i bought 3000 of them recently and ill test them against the CCI BR-2s when my short action remodel is done...i have shot a few of them over the chrony and so far im not really impressed with them....but like i said ive only shot a few.

Off topic....my bartlien barrel showed up today and i sent my dumby rounds in to dave manson yesterday so i should have my reamer in 2 or 3 weeks and the evolution chassis should be a week or 2 behind the reamer.
    Last edited by LongRange; 08-18-2015 at 10:42 PM.

I"m running BR2s in my Creedmoor, and Magnum 250s in my 338 Edge. Recently thought about going back to a regular primer instead of the magnums in the Edge though. Not really sure. Haven't shot it enough to do any real load dev yet.

LongRange
    well heres some numbers for you from a 300wm with a STOUT load of RL-22 in nosler brass and a 208g hornady...all brass prep'd,charges,seating depth,neck tension,trim length were the same and fired in a round robin type order...all numbers were 5 shot groups so 60 rounds fired...i also shot H4831 and H1000 with similar results....i also shot a few standard LR primers in this 300 and with H4831SC a standard fed210 was producing single digit ESs pretty consistently and is what makes me think the fed primers are the hottest primers...in my opinion a mild primer(CCIs)produce the lowest ESs and best accuracy.

fed 215...2943-2983...2933-2985...2942-2980

WLRM...2870-2934...2889-2944...2879-2927

rem9.5m..2885-2930...2832-2890...2875-2926

cci250...2919-2935...2930-2941...2918-2939

and on a side note...most ppl dont realize how important primer seating is...seated to deep/hard and you break the pill(for sake of a better word)apart...not deep enough and the flame blows off to the sides in the pocket before it blows through the flash hole...i have no HARD data on this other than playing with seating depth seating pressures with a K&M seating tool with the gauge on it.
    Last edited by LongRange; 08-19-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Basic Member
    Awesome stuff, keep it coming ..please......

LongRange
    ive got a lot more just crappy internet and no time right now...ill post a bunch of stuff up this winter when things slow down a little...ill post up a little primer testing from my 260 in a few days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast