Thread: Antalope hunt

Basic Member

Antalope hunt

I,m looking to hunt prong horn in the fall of 16. Anybody know any outfitters that don't ask for your firstborn male child? Thx, be safe.

Basic Member
    Ive made a few trips west for Antelope. So its easier for me to say what i would do as opposed to
    someone never having done it. My first trip was with an (outfitter). He played no roll at all in my getting an antelope.
    In fact he only played a roll in my (not) getting a very nice whitetail as he thought 400 yds was too far for me to shoot.
    The easiest way to get an antelope is to go on a prairie dog hunt in the area you plan to hunt antelope.

Basic Member
    What state are you looking at?

Basic Member
    I'm not even sure of that. What states are the least restrictive of nonresident hunters? I have some physical restrictions, cannot do a lot of climbing, so mountains are our. Tnx, bloobstone

Basic Member
    I dont think any of them are restrictive so long as your willing to pay the licence fees.
    Wyoming would be a good place to go for antelope especially the NE area. If you can
    make a trip there for prairie dogs you would be welcome on most ranches. That could
    open some doors for an antelope hunt. Many ranches are leased to outfitters for deer
    and antelope hunting. But those ranchers could steer you to ones that arent leased.
    The more time you have to spend scouting around the better off you will be.
    Dont be going with someone who has a tight time schedule or a leash around his neck.
    Better to go alone if need be. Many ranchers will allow driving on the existing tracks around their ranch.
    Especially on 4 wheelers which most of them have themselves. Ive had antelope come well within shooting
    range numerous times when prairie dog hunting. It would be of the easiest animals to get once you know where to go.
    That can be easy also if you have and are willing to invest time.

Basic Member
    good food for thought YO. Thx, be safe.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodstone View Post
    good food for thought YO. Thx, be safe.
    Each of us have a comfort zone we tend to use wether we realize or not.
    Whatever way yours tells you is what you should do.

Basic Member
    I think my pard is having second thoughts. This might be a solo hunt. The pdog thing sounds fun. I'm going to look into it. I've got a 25-06,and a 6.5-06 that would do nicely. Tnx for the help. Be safe

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodstone View Post
    I think my pard is having second thoughts. This might be a solo hunt. The pdog thing sounds fun. I'm going to look into it. I've got a 25-06,and a 6.5-06 that would do nicely. Tnx for the help. Be safe
    Uhhh, yeah but do yourself a favor and buy a Savage heavy barrel varmit in 223.
    Take 500 rounds of ammo for it. If you go in Oct. which is a very nice time for weather
    you can combine antelope on the same trip. Just keep the larger gun for shots over 400
    and for an antelope that might wander along to see what your shooting at. A few years
    back i was alone on a ranch in SE Montana way back in on a dog town. Bright yellow jeep
    perched on a knoll and i had been shooting for hours. All of a sudden i was attracted to movement
    off to my left on a low ridge. Single file came a herd of over 30 antelope with several shooter bucks.
    They stopped right where i was shooting and ultimatly laid down. That isnt the only time ive had that
    happen, it happens every trip at some point, but thats the most at one time. Also take a preditor call
    along and you might be shocked to see what comes to investigate.

Basic Member
    Sounds good. Would never have thought about a predictor call. If I don't go with an outfitters, do I just drive up to a ranch, and ask to hunt?

Basic Member
    Look here under the hunter assistance program as listed ranches/owners have openings. Some charge for access, others don't. Look at an area & call the #s listed and get set up. Most are for doe/fawn antelope & it will state what they want taken on the properties..
    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/f...tanceHome.aspx
    Other states have the same program also.

Basic Member
    5spd thanks for the info.