Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30" criterion report.....

LongRange

30" criterion report.....

so i got out and fired a 100 rounds this morning to fire form brass and to see if the 30" criterion was up to the shilen challenge...the first 2 rounds had me thinking i should have went with another shilen!!
    i dont break barrels in any more(per-say)i shoot 1 and clean to see if the barrel is going to be a heavy fouler...i shot 1 round and it took 9 patches of Montana extreme 50 BMG to get the copper out(thought for sure i was going to be talking to criterion monday morning)second shot and the same thing...9 patches to remove the copper. at this point i was sure i going to be on the phone with criterion monday...next i shot a 3 shot group and cleaned and this time it only took 5 patches and the copper was gone. then i shot a 5 round group and 2 patches copper was gone...then i shot 40 rounds and cleaned...i ran 3 soaked patches of 50 BMG and let it sit for 5 minutes in between each patch and to my surprise no copper to speak of....this is the 3 after 40 rounds...

now for the groups...this barrel REALLY likes RL-17 and going fast....is Dean in the house LOL....

this barrel seems to like the 140g hornadys but they need to go fast to shoot well and are a little hard on my lapua brass...i think i may have lost a few pieces so ill play with them a little but its looking like the 142g SMKs are the better shooters....

keep in mind all this was shot with new lapua brass and will get better after i dial in the loads....im thinking i need to buy a nice front rest and use this rifle as my F-class rifle...i bet this barrel will shoot in the .2s consistently off a front rest...one thing i can say for sure is that a 30" barrel IS NOT as forgiving as a 28" or 26" barrel....all of this leaves me thinking i wish id of try a criterion sooner...or did i just happen to get a shooter?? either way i will be buying another one next time i need a barrel!!!

LongRange

That barrel is talking to you.........it's saying its hungry and needs more 142 SMK's
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I also hear it saying use R 17

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    That barrel is talking to you.........it's saying its hungry and needs more 142 SMK's
    and more H4350...im going to take it up to 45g and see how it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I also hear it saying use R 17
    yes sir...scary part is i shot a 3072-3085FPS load that shot a better group but thats the brass i was talking about that might be bad now LOL!!

Basic Member
    The barrel is too long and the powder too fast.......
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

BarrelNuts
    So... Criterion just entered consideration for my next rebarreling... Have heard others have good results with them and this adds to it. Downside is Jim doesn't seem to have one in .25-06 on the shelf from CBI

danielFL
    Was this a pre fit drop in?
    Last edited by danielFL; 05-31-2015 at 09:46 AM.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The barrel is too long and the powder too fast.......
    I agree...ive got several slow powders on hand im going to try.

Quote Originally Posted by BarrelNuts View Post
    So... Criterion just entered consideration for my next rebarreling... Have heard others have good results with them and this adds to it. Downside is Jim doesn't seem to have one in .25-06 on the shelf from CBI
    He can order one for you and probable get it faster than if you ordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by danielFL View Post
    Was this a pre fit drop in?
    Yes.

Basic Member
    H- 1000

Basic Member
    I'd try, and in this order...Rel 19, 22, and 25. When the velocity tops out, cut the barrel off 1 inch and then back up one powder.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I'd try, and in this order...Rel 19, 22, and 25. When the velocity tops out, cut the barrel off 1 inch and then back up one powder.
    will do...ive got all 3 of those...plus IMR4831...IMR7828..norma MRP and H1000

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    H- 1000
    ive shot the H1000 before in a different barrel and it was very accurate i just couldnt get much velocity out of it but that barrel did have a little less free bore than this one so ill give it a try.

LongRange
    so ive been out 3 times today testing powders...the second time i got home i call my buddy and asked what he would charge to cut 4" off this barrel and recrown it. right after i got off the phone with him the wife called and said she was working late so i loaded up 20 rounds of RL-19(per Freds post)and headed out for the third time just to see...i guess from now on when Fred speaks ill listen...the first time out i tried IMR4831,IMR7828,norma MRP and RL-22...the IMR4831 looked promising with a little fine tuning but a little slow for my taste....this was the best group of all the powders tested...the dots are 1/2' and are 205yds not 200...the second time out this group was exactly the same...

this was the third time out with RL-19...now both the RL-19 groups have a little story behind them...after i set up my target and got back to my shooting spot there was and ANGRY chipmunk there,the clouds were rolling in and it started to sprinkle...the chipmunk was about 10ft away on my left and was talking mad $hit....i got 5 rounds off with one eye on the target and one on the munk(i didnt bring my 9 this time out)i let the barrel cool and the whole time the munk is there flippin his tail and talking...when the barrel was cold i laid down to shoot the next group(it was turning from a sprinkle to rain)right as i was set the F'n munk ran right over my back!!!! first shot HIGH LEFT!!! now i was so shook up over being attacked by a 3" tall munk(LMFAO)that i pulled the other 4 shots!!!

Basic Member
    LOL Great post LongRange. I assume its a 6.5 of some flavor, what chambering? Fouling in my 26" CBI Swede during break-in was identical to yours. Not a trace any more.

Basic Member
    Thats good! But i think its still slow for a 30" i get 2800 2820 out of 26" 42.0 H-4350 creedmoor with 142 smks.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by YDKDY View Post
    LOL Great post LongRange. I assume its a 6.5 of some flavor, what chambering? Fouling in my 26" CBI Swede during break-in was identical to yours. Not a trace any more.
    260...and im sold on the CBI barrels....the next one ill have chambered with more free bore.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    Thats good! But i think its still slow for a 30" i get 2800 2820 out of 26" 42.0 H-4350 creedmoor with 142 smks.
    I agree the IMR4831 was slow but that was the most accurate powder until the RL-19...not sure how fast the RL-19 is as i didnt bring my chrony...i was going to go out today but i broke the rear drive line in my truck last night.

LongRange
    im not a fan of OCW load development but decided to test it against what i found with the RL-19 groups i shot last weekend just to see if it was close to what i figured was a good load.now first let me say ive NEVER tried the OCW method to the letter as i always figured 200yds was better because it allows you to see bigger variances in charges and while the jury is still out on all of this i think my thinking was wrong and that the OCW method(if followed to the letter)may be the fastest way to find a good load.

im also looking for some input from you guys that use the OCW method and have had good results with it because from what Dan Newberry says "the one hole group isnt always the best charge" which goes against my thinking!!!

so i read up and ran an OCW test to the T today...
    rifle specs...should of added on first post...
    savage PTA...PTG bolt body and bolt head
    criterion 30" match barrel 260rem
    NSS nut and lug
    bell carlson A-5 fully adjustable stock third screw added piller bedded in Devcon
    rifle basix SAV 2 set to 5oz
    glades armory bolt handle
    murphy presision 20MOA base
    nightforce rings
    nightforce NXS 8-32x56 NP-R1
    harris bipod

all loads were RL-19...1x fired and full length resized lapua brass...CCI BR-2 primers and 142g SMKs at .020 off the lands...neck tension was .004...100yds lazed and measured with a 300ft tape...
    today was 86deg and light left to right wind at start of OCW..barrel was cooled for 5mins between each shot

first round fired...

second round fired...

third round fired....

group #1...

group #2...

group #3...

group #4

group #5...

now correct me if im wrong but even with the called pulled shot according to the OCW instructions the 44.2g charge should be my optimal charge weight?
    and from my 5 shot groups from last weekend this co-insides with the OCW method? as i figured 44gs was a good load with a little seating depth adjustment.
    i can see why i wouldnt want to go with the 1 hole group at 45.2g because i set my max charge at 45gs but its hard to disregard that group because its 0.3gs under the book max????
    Last edited by LongRange; 06-14-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Basic Member
    Man, I don't know anything about the OCW method, but I would be loading up about 9 rounds at 45.2 and if the results duplicated themselves I would be staying at 45.2!

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=teebirdhyzer;322606]Man, I don't know anything about the OCW method, but I would be loading up about 9 rounds at 45.2 and if the results duplicated themselves I would be staying at 45.2![/QUOTE

Think so? I dont know, look at all the fun he's having and all the free education everybody else is getting.
    And thanks to Fred for all that. The shooter just delivered the message lol.
    But i can hear the gears turning about the hacksaw treatment.

LongRange
    [QUOTE=yobuck;322643]
    Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer View Post
    Man, I don't know anything about the OCW method, but I would be loading up about 9 rounds at 45.2 and if the results duplicated themselves I would be staying at 45.2![/QUOTE

Think so? I dont know, look at all the fun he's having and all the free education everybody else is getting.
    And thanks to Fred for all that. The shooter just delivered the message lol.
    But i can hear the gears turning about the hacksaw treatment.
    Fred did call the right powder...thanks Fred!
    i was about ready to wack 2 to 4" off this thing but like i said at this point the jury is still out until i can finish testing....what i find funny is over a hundred views yesterday and only one reply about the OCW test.

Basic Member
    Maybe some of thats due to lots of others like me.
    Who dont even know what the hell it is lol.
    But i do know what a good group is.

LongRange
    ill shoot the 45.2g load again this weekend as well as play with seating depth with 44.2g load and see what happens.

Basic Member
    Shoot 45.2 @ 300 or 500 yds,
    Good job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast