Thread: Took my Savage Axis .308 to the range today

phantom8747

Cool Took my Savage Axis .308 to the range today

Sighted in on the 30 yard range as recommended by the rangemaster. 1st 10-12 shots nowhere on the paper.Friend watched where they were hitting about 6" to right of target and 4" below target made adjustments and started hitting target low and right of bull. More adjustment then it got better,a few more adjustments to scope and bottom of bullseye. I fired 28 rounds in all the last 3 above bulseye center of target in a group less than2'.This idea of savage boresighting rifle and scope to be on paper was wrong.Next trip I'll moveto the 100 yard range.Recoil pad or not that 165 grain round has recoil.I shot 10 rounds Federal Deer Thugs 165 grain, 10 rounds Federal Fusion 165 grain,8 rounds Winchester Supreme 168 grain.The last 3 were the Winchester Supreme 168's. I was pleased but shoulder is a little sore.

Basic Member
    Not sure why he said 30, but when I am having trouble getting on paper, or putting the bullet where I want it go I start at 50 yards and make sure I get on target and then walk it out to 100. In any case, let us know how it goes!! And have fun shooting.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

rfd12fv
    with a bolt action (or any open bore action), the rifle is stabilized in a rest, the bolt removed, then i'll peer down the bore at a mark 50 yards away, visually centering the mark in the bore. look up and do the same with the scope, adjusting the reticle to coincide with the mark. that's it, and i know i'm at least on paper when i visit the range. any closed action rifles will require the use of a laser bore sighter, but bolt actions are too easy to living room set up before hitting the range.

phantom8747

30 yard range is what Williams Gunsight has next to the Pistol range.The rifle range

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Not sure why he said 30, but when I am having trouble getting on paper, or putting the bullet where I want it go I start at 50 yards and make sure I get on target and then walk it out to 100. In any case, let us know how it goes!! And have fun shooting.
    Rangemaster said use the 30 yard range 1st so I did.New gun new scope.It all worked out. Next time 100 yards.

rfd12fv
    the vast majority of my shooting is bpcr at 200-300yds, but with a bolt cf i always start at 50, then 100 and progress to 300. wish my gun club went out 500 or more. oh well.

phantom8747
    Where I hunt in Northern Michigan is heavily wooded, most deer I have taken there are within 30 yards or so.It is that thick!

Quote Originally Posted by rfd12fv View Post
    with a bolt action (or any open bore action), the rifle is stabilized in a rest, the bolt removed, then i'll peer down the bore at a mark 50 yards away, visually centering the mark in the bore. look up and do the same with the scope, adjusting the reticle to coincide with the mark. that's it, and i know i'm at least on paper when i visit the range. any closed action rifles will require the use of a laser bore sighter, but bolt actions are too easy to living room set up before hitting the range.
    Is there any other way? Simple and effective. I usually start at 25-35.

Sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom8747 View Post
    Where I hunt in Northern Michigan is heavily wooded, most deer I have taken there are within 30 yards or so.It is that thick!
    We have property in Bellaire. Are you close to there or are you further in the UP? I'm looking for a place to shoot up there with some distance.

phantom8747

I am north of Harrisville

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
    We have property in Bellaire. Are you close to there or are you further in the UP? I'm looking for a place to shoot up there with some distance.
    on Lake Huron side US-23 and Black River Rd.

IUOE-Mike
    I usually use a laser boresight in the basement after i mount an optic then sight it in at 50 and then take it out to 100 and walk it in until im happy.