Thread: 2nd Burris Scope.... JUNK!

Basic Member

2nd Burris Scope.... JUNK!

Ok, I am not normally someone to flame or hate towards companies....

Now with that out of the way... I have a burris scope that was sitting in the safe after last years hunt. I just exchanged another burris scope last year because my old scope was not holding zero. So hunting season is coming up so I figure I better zero in my hunting rifle. Well what do you know first shot is on paper but low and to the left. I make a 30 click adjustment and guess what.... Almost same impact. Make another 40 clicks to the right, guess what same basic area.

The windage is fubar'd!

These are not cheap scopes and I wont be wasting my time or money with this company EVER again. Buyer BEWARE! They are lifetime warranty scopes... My specific scope is a Burris Signature Series 6x24 Mil dot reticle.

The scope held "position" after a good 70 clicks of adjustment.

Vortex is getting my money from here on out.
    Last edited by 1983Weatherby; 07-24-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Basic Member
    Dang it, that sucks. I ran into something similar on a buddies air rifle, he had the vertical turret horizontal. (I bring it up every chance I get). My only Burris scope has a crooked reticle (just barely, but enough to irritate the viewer). I do love my Burris binocs though.

It is possible to get a bad scope from the factory, even several of them. Working in a sporting goods store, I have pulled new NF scopes out of the box were sent back. Had a fellow come in because his Leupy wouldn't track right, pulled a new one out and it had the same issue. Scopes were made several years apart. If you think swapping to Vortex is the answer ask others on this site about their experience with them. Although the main reason I see scopes not tracking correctly is over tightening of rings to where the tube is compressed so the internals do not move correctly. Not saying you did this or anything else except, all brands have failures. I have seen them.

I have had good luck with Burris and currently own a XTR II 8-40x, works perfect. Rifle shot a less than .1" group doing one shot, dialing up 5 MOA, down 5 MOA fire second, up 10 MOA, down 10 MOA, fire third. I am not claiming that Burris is the best out there, they are not the worst either. Same with Vortex, Leupold and NF.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Good response. It could have been over tightening, but I HIGHLY doubt it. I own a in/lb torque wrench specifically for tightening my rings/bases etc. I had two range officers look at the rifle in question and they were stumped, said everything looked right. I have owned two Burris Signature Series scopes and BOTH have had the same issue. Burris simply replaced my first scope with a new Signature Series (the one I have now). The rifle it sits on is a 30-06 shooting 150gr pills, so its not a high recoiling caliber. The first scope was not holding zero and had bubbles in the glass. This one holds "zero" technically but windage is not adjustible. I will be sending it off for a replacement. I bolted up my basic vortex 3x9 BDC diamondback and wala, issue solved.