Thread: 110/10 receiver mix up?

AMF247

110/10 receiver mix up?

I recently purchased an older savage 110 long action chambered in 243 as the start of a budget build. I like to know the history of all my firearms and I contacted savage to find out more. Serial number F544xxx. They informed me that it was a model 10 GXP chambered in 243. I understand that this could have been sold as a package set up but how can it be a short action if the receiver screw spacing is 5 inches. The answer is it probably can't. Just wondering if anyone has any more information on this question. I'm really just trying to find out some more information like shank size which I believe is small, and twist rate of the existing sporter barrel. I don't have my gun barrel vise yet so I haven't been able to get an accurate measurement to determine shank size.
    Im a new member and I've tried to search for any possible existing answer in the posts so please have mercy on me if I missed it.

Basic Member
    found this in the FAQ section:
    Long Actions:
    The action screw spacing on Savage long actions has remained the same since it's introduction in 1958. However, this does not mean they are all the same as the magazine port length in the bottom of the action can be one of three different lengths depending on the cartridge the action was originally made for.

From 1988 to 1997 all Savage bolt-action rifles were made on long-actions. Those chambered for short-action cartridges have a shorter magazine port cut to work with the existing short-action magazine boxes from previous years. As such, even though the action is technically a long action you can not mount a long-action cartridge magazine to it without having the magazine port lengthened.

Additionally, larger cartridges such as the .375 H&H and the Remington Ultra Mag cartridges required a longer magazine box and consequently a longer magazine port in the bottom of the action. As such, changing from a .30-06 length box to one of these cartridges will also require that the magazine port be lengthened.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...el-Shank-Sizes

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

AMF247
    I appreciate The reply. I have read that as well

AMF247
    I see this is not getting much traffic. I've either ask a stupid question or an unanswerable one. I'm curious why savage would call this a model 10 short action when it's clearly a long

AMF247
    I'll assume it's because it's a short action caliber.

Go into the parts finder on Savage arms it should give the date of manufac. if before 1997 it is a long action with short action chambering.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Back then there was really no std short action they just modified a long action to work with everything including the .223 rem which had a longer front baffle to limit bolt stroke.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

The person you spoke to on the phone incorrectly referred to it as a Model 10. There was no such thing as a Model 10 until 1998. Even when Savage was offering a short action (Gen I) they were still called Model 110's. Most of the folks answering the phones at Savage haven't been there very long and aren't well versed in the companies history.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

AMF247
    Thank you to everyone who helped me square this away.

You are correct on the barrel being a small shank. If I recall correctly, the twist is 1 in 9.5" but don't quote me on that.