Thread: Anyone loading 30-06 with IMR4831 for 208gr AMax pills?

Basic Member

Anyone loading 30-06 with IMR4831 for 208gr AMax pills?

Hi guys, im looking for a good load with this combo. I just got 3 lbs of 4831 and looking to mess around with it. Anyone having success with these components?

Basic Member
    Anyone?

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Beyond that, no one can give you a load that is any "better" in YOUR rifle than the starting load info found there. You have to find what your rifle likes, or give one of us your rifle to do the work for you.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply darkker. I know it can be done and i use the hodgdon site regularly. I was more curious if people have been getting any notable results before I waste my time testing a load that won't yield accuracy.

200 gr has shot well with 58-58.5. might drop don a couple and work up.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by pepper savage 111 View Post
    I was more curious if people have been getting any notable results before I waste my time testing a load that won't yield accuracy.
    If the powder is listed, it is more accurate than you are capable of. Again, no one else's load is somehow more accurate in your rifle than anything else. NO testing is ever a "waste" unless you refuse to learn.
    Last edited by darkker; 07-26-2015 at 05:51 AM.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input.

Darkker- to your point. I'm always eager to learn more about the things I enjoy but I couldn't help but wonder about results considering the internet and some reloading manuals label some powders as "most accurate tested." I'm still trying to figure out if some powders are more inherently accurate/ versital than others. I also load for .308 so I'm interested in using a powder that is both accurate and versatile.

No, the issue stems from powder variance and use.
    Most people don't know shyte from shine-ola about powders, as an example they think Hodgdon builds powder, and the reloading market actually has money being spent on R&D. None of which are true.

WC 846 was THE 308 powder for a very long time, many many train loads were used. It's original patent date was in the 30's. It has a spec of 1% CaCO, as an acid limiter. After several hundred thousand rounds of endurance testing, AND omitted cleaning, it was discovered there could be an issue in the gas tube of an M16. No one remembers that you need a few hundred thousand rounds with no cleaning. What they "know" is that WC844 is for the 223, and 846 is for the 308. What they don't know is that they are the same powder recipe, the difference is in the actual "As-built" form. But try and tell most people that H335 & Bl-c(2) are the same powder, they are likely to start crying, rocking, and praying for you.
    Nominal lot variations are much larger than many would want you to believe. I hear 3% getting thrown out frequently, that isn't reality unfortunately. Start Pressure testing with a strain system and you'll very quickly realize this. "Most accurate tested" may have been with that lot and components tested. But without them telling you primer lots, powder lots, brass & bullet lots; you likely won't have the same products, so it's a great way to sound official, but not helpful.

Basic Member
    Awesome! Thank you sir. So, from what I understand here, none of the stuff online is worth it's weight in crapola. Just use mins, work up, and move on?

More or less, just assume 89% of anything is tainted info.
    You are on the right track, you need a chrono if you don't have one. The reason is understand where your powder falls compared to book data, and pressures.

Start low and work up, no production firearm has the tight SAAMI minimum spec dimensions, as tested info uses. So you will always run slower velocities than book data, WHEN pressures are equal. If you start low and work up, you can see where you fall relative to data. Regardless if toy have made book Max, when your velocity catches up or surpasses book data; you are higher pressure than book data, due to lot variation.

Unless it is what makes your blood run, don't get hung-up on the sex appeal of speed. Accuracy should always be the goal, scopes have adjustment to compensate for velocity differences.

Cheers

Basic Member
    Thanks everyone! I can't express how grateful I am to have such a valuable resource to turn to when I'm playing with explosions a few inches from my face.