Thread: Back from my 1st prairie dog hunt!

Back from my 1st prairie dog hunt!

I made it back from Wyoming over the weekend. Hit the ground running, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone etc, The place is gorgeous. Now to the important stuff

I wanna thank the guys that responded to my earlier post asking about places, and gear etc. Wyo85 gave me directions to some public land to hunt, and it was awesome. Yobuck, mattri and everyone else were a big help(I hope I didnt miss anyone). I took my 22-250 and my 17 hornet. 100rds of ammo each, and couldve used plenty more had I had the time. We went out the first day to scope things out and shot a few that day. We left early the next morning and stayed for several hours and it was nonstop shooting the entire time..except for letting the 250 cool down a bit. The hornet was going nearly the whole time.
    Heres a few pics...
    A pic of the area we hunted

My farthest kill .....419yds

My brother-in-laws farthest kill, 409yds

Shoot 1 and another would come out...Living in the east, Ive never seen anything like it.

Taking aim at another one lol

We had 4 kills over 400, with the farthest at 419.
    The 17hornet was making clean kills in the 265-275 range, but made the dust fly on some at 300...lol
    50gr vmax and 20gr vmax were devastating to say the least, I have some more graphic pics but Ill save those until someone asks for them lol.

Thanks again for the help guys!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    100 rounds each huh?That is like giving a drunk the cork to smell.You just had a taste of one of the most addictive pastimes that I know of.I just came back from my annual trip and went through 900 rounds of 223 in four days.I used two rifles and let one cool while shooting the other.What a blast it was!
    Ya'll hang on I'm gonna drive closer

It was my first trip...gimme a break lol. 900 rds sounds awesome! I'll definitely take more ammo the next time. My next trip will have some adjustments made. Its crazy addicting! I cant wait to go again.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    I have some more graphic pics but Ill save those until someone asks for them lol.
    Blasphemy! POST EM! hahaha

Short of shooting adventures in Afghanistan, p-dogs are second place. We go and live out of the truck for 5 days and shoot everything in sight. Just like the Stan. Awesome.

Basic Member
    Just kidding,my first trip I took 180 rounds of 22-250 and by 2:00 I was looking in every place that looked like they carried ammo.Not a good feeling but the next year I was more than ready.

Basic Member
    The most important thing is the fact that you went and experienced it for yourself.
    Hearing stories from others can never quite equal your own perception of things.
    While it might be hard to find ways to improve on the action, you can no doubt now
    think of things that could add to your own comfort level making your next trip even more enjoyable.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to experience prairie dog hunting! What a great time! I try to take my kids out West at least once a year and they have a hoot! Picture three teen boys and one teen daughter with mil-mil scopes, calling each others' shots, and raining in hot lead on dogs... Man, I love it.

Word of warning, though. Be careful and picking up prairie dogs because they are known to carry bubonic plague.

Basic Member
    Dang , just saw your message yesterday . Maybe we can meet up next year for a day of shooting dogs.
    Last edited by wyo85; 08-12-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Wyo85, its no big deal man, I wasnt sure if you were in town or working or what have ya. Again, I appreciate the details on the location! Im planning on going back next July for a couple days of hunting so maybe we can get together then.

Yobuck.....Ill definitely be more prepared as far as clothes go. Thinkin may some type of under armor, long sleeve in white (whichever one it is that keeps you cooler (cold gear, hot gear, I cant remember)) and a hat with a cloth covering the back of my neck. I got roasted out there, I was pretty lazy on putting the sunscreen on. I mean really, stop and put on sunscreen or keep shooting......I chose the latter. Lol

Its a blast. Next year Im planning on putting more distance between me and some critters. Thats the only thing I wish I woulda tried a little more...was stretching it out some. But who cares, it was awesome.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Wyo85, its no big deal man, I wasnt sure if you were in town or working or what have ya. Again, I appreciate the details on the location! Im planning on going back next July for a couple days of hunting so maybe we can get together then.

Yobuck.....Ill definitely be more prepared as far as clothes go. Thinkin may some type of under armor, long sleeve in white (whichever one it is that keeps you cooler (cold gear, hot gear, I cant remember)) and a hat with a cloth covering the back of my neck. I got roasted out there, I was pretty lazy on putting the sunscreen on. I mean really, stop and put on sunscreen or keep shooting......I chose the latter. Lol

Its a blast. Next year Im planning on putting more distance between me and some critters. Thats the only thing I wish I woulda tried a little more...was stretching it out some. But who cares, it was awesome.
    Scooter
    Give some thought to some sort of shade rather than sunscreen. And a portable bench or good shooting tripod under the shade is nice also.
    But if you prefer squirmin around on your belly smeared with sunscreen, well enjoy it while your young lol.

Basic Member
    We have built portable benches with umbrella brackets for those really sunny days,work great.Plenty of sunscreen,bottled water and snacks make the day more enjoyable.But the main thing is to have a good time,we only get to go once a year so we go all out.

What does a guy from VA have to do to get a prairie rat eradication trip planned? I've always wanted to go, and I have a buddy that wants to come with me if we can find somewhere to go.

My only problem with taking very much stuff is that I fly out there, so I'm somewhat limited to what I can take.

Upslide, 1st thing is come north to WV swing by my way and pick me up.....lol
    Seriously....wyo85 sent me a gps coordinates for a place to go. Wyoming is free to hunt prairie dogs, with only a hunters safety card required (from your home state if you were born after 1975). Lots of public land to go to. We flew to Denver and drove the rest of the way. There are maps on Wyoming game and fish that show where the public lands are located and such. I posted here and asked for pointers and places. Everyone here was a huge help.
    Scooter

Good job there Scottie.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    A stop at a home depot after you pick up the vehicle in Denver or wherever.
    #1 a 12x15 blue tarp.
    #2 a 100' coil of 1/4" rope.
    #3 a few 2x2s for poles to hold up one side of the tarp.
    other side tied off over the vehicle roof.
    #4 5 gallon buckets for seats and carrying junk (bullets)
    #5 folding saw horses and precut plywood for bench. or benches.
    Cheap folding work stations work also and theres a shelf for ammo, glasses and the Vectronix.
    Total cost about equal to beer and lunch at Hooters.
    So drink water, eat pj sandwiches and skip hooters.
    Leave the stuff someplace till next time or just call it part of doing business and walk away.
    And there wont be any taxidermy bills for the trophy 12" antelope. lol

Basic Member
    I'd strongly discourage anyone from touching one of those disease vectoring vermin. Plague is serious, only takes one flea bite.