Thread: Finished Axis Mountain build....

Basic Member

Finished Axis Mountain build....

The goal of the build was to stay under $500 & under 7lb.

Well, I got it half right.

I kept it a gnat's nut hair under five bills & an equal measure over 7 pounds.

It started out as a standard 30-06 Axis including the budget scope that I scored for a total of $280.
    I sold the scope for $50 & the stock for $60 bringing it to a total invested of $170

A friend of mine straight-fluted the bolt body. The stock is a heavily reduced Boyd's Classic (+$90 = $260) I hollowed out the butt & shortened, slimmed & lightened the front end, dropping it's total weight by 10oz. Just got it back today from having it dipped (badly ) in Kryptek Nomad camo. (+ $60 = $320)
    I turned down & threaded the bolt handle to accept a carbon bolt knob (+ $30 = $350). Incidentally, I also had to relieve the top of the bolt handle to clear the ocular bell of the Vortex Crossfire scope. Something I didn't consider when I ordered the Talley low rings (word to the wise, is all )
    The barrel is (I believe) an E R Shaw blank, shortened, crowned & chambered by Jim Walters at Bison Gun Works. I had it chambered in 6.5x55 with a long throat to readily accept the long Nosler 140gn Accubonds. (+$180 = $530)
    The trigger is stock, but polished & shimmed, with an overtravel screw & lighter spring installed. I've set it up with almost zero travel, but a break-weight of 4lb. Safe, but simple.
    The barrel & action I had cerakoted in Magpul FDE. I had to paint the scope.

Unfortunately the total loaded weight came in at 7lb 10½oz, but for my first ever attempt at a build, to say that I'm happy is a VAST understatement!
    Just went out for a function test & shot 5 times with no mishaps & no lost fingers (ok, so I was nervous. First build...)
    Oh, I sold the original barrel on eBay for $63 do the total cost finalized at $467!

Last edited by robtattoo; 07-18-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Team Savage
    Looks great

Basic Member
    I've always wanted to paint a rifle, but never can seem to get the nerve. Looks good.

Basic Member
    for your first attempt you did really well! now you have some experience for the next time around and maybe different ideas.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    That looks awesome .What was the problem with the dip?

Basic Member
    Oh, lots of voids, poor coverage, hesitation marks. It's pretty much all on the left side.
    Oh, & he dipped it so the join us along the crest of the butt, rather than the bottom. It honestly looks like crap. Up close.

Basic Member
    I see some of that, surprised he didn't at least try to dress it up with an airbrush. And yes the seam is in the wrong place, you need good technique with dipping to get that correct.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    It took him 4 weeks & 5 attempts to get it this good. After promising he'd done 'hundreds' & he'd have it done 'over the weekend' He also told me that 'you have to be military to order Kryptek patterns.' So much for online reviews.....
    I will NEVER use him for anything again.
    He tried to charge my $100....
    I slapped 3 twenties on the counter & walked out.

Basic Member
    I was thinking how inexpensive the dip cost, and what a great deal it was until I read a little further. Most dealers do charge $90-$125 for rifle stocks, but not many can do a Boyd's really well.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    I'd have gladly paid $100 if it was done right, but....

Basic Member
    I will be getting my Pro-Varmint dipped here in a few months, if I remember I will post a few pics.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member

Better than expected!

rfd12fv
    she's a keeper, rob!

Great job!

Basic Member
    Have to be military for kryptek? I've seen a lot of non military guys with the same pattern.

gun looks good though for $60, just curious how did it go when you shorted him?

Basic Member
    Ah, I'm showing the best side. The other side is covered in voids, wrinkles & stutter marks.
    It didn't go down too well, but the whole experience was a nightmare from start to finish. Kinda ended exactly how it'd gone on.

Basic Member
    I had work done one time and they charged me more than what it was quoted, said and done I was asked not to come back in which I would never had anyways.

I would think by you shorting him and walking out he would have called the police or something. theres a place in ohio that dips guns, ill find the name and send it to you. a few of my buddies are very happy with them.

Basic Member
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll definitely get it redone as funds allow.
    Honestly, on reflection, I was a bit of a dick for shorting him. I shouldn't have done it, but I was so steamed at the time I didn't even think.
    I did point out that I was unhappy with the job & he basically told me that it was as good as he could get & I should stop being so picky.