Thread: Finished Axis Mountain build....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Finished Axis Mountain build....

The goal of the build was to stay under $500 & under 7lb.

Well, I got it half right.

I kept it a gnat's nut hair under five bills & an equal measure over 7 pounds.

It started out as a standard 30-06 Axis including the budget scope that I scored for a total of $280.
    I sold the scope for $50 & the stock for $60 bringing it to a total invested of $170

A friend of mine straight-fluted the bolt body. The stock is a heavily reduced Boyd's Classic (+$90 = $260) I hollowed out the butt & shortened, slimmed & lightened the front end, dropping it's total weight by 10oz. Just got it back today from having it dipped (badly ) in Kryptek Nomad camo. (+ $60 = $320)
    I turned down & threaded the bolt handle to accept a carbon bolt knob (+ $30 = $350). Incidentally, I also had to relieve the top of the bolt handle to clear the ocular bell of the Vortex Crossfire scope. Something I didn't consider when I ordered the Talley low rings (word to the wise, is all )
    The barrel is (I believe) an E R Shaw blank, shortened, crowned & chambered by Jim Walters at Bison Gun Works. I had it chambered in 6.5x55 with a long throat to readily accept the long Nosler 140gn Accubonds. (+$180 = $530)
    The trigger is stock, but polished & shimmed, with an overtravel screw & lighter spring installed. I've set it up with almost zero travel, but a break-weight of 4lb. Safe, but simple.
    The barrel & action I had cerakoted in Magpul FDE. I had to paint the scope.

Unfortunately the total loaded weight came in at 7lb 10½oz, but for my first ever attempt at a build, to say that I'm happy is a VAST understatement!
    Just went out for a function test & shot 5 times with no mishaps & no lost fingers (ok, so I was nervous. First build...)
    Oh, I sold the original barrel on eBay for $63 do the total cost finalized at $467!

Last edited by robtattoo; 07-18-2015 at 07:30 PM.