Thread: Trigger and Barrel

siford

Trigger and Barrel

I currently have a savage 11 300 wsm. Ive been looking at triggers and some don't work with the accu trigger because apparently the bolt release gets interfered with since it is in front of the trigger guard. Also I'm pulling 1 inch groups at 100. I do reload and it seems that no matter the load I throw at it doesn't get much tighter. Two bullets will touch and the third will go an inch to the left. Always the left. Do you think a match barrel could fix this issue?

SGT_A-RAY223
    First, is it the factory stock? Is it bedded? Have you checked the torque on the action screws? And not to insult you, but are you sure you aren't the problem, i.e., pulling the shot by anticipating the recoil? Are you shooting off of bags, off of a bipod, out of a rest?

SGT_A-RAY223
    I shoot 1/4" to 3/8" groups at 100 yards, with my factory sporter barrel. All I've done is modified the stock to make it heavier and more rigid (6#), and bedded the action. Using factory ammo, I broke it in, the shot two groups of three shots at different torque specs until I found the sweet spot, noted it, and left it.

siford
    It has an aluminum bedding block and it sits in a Accu Stock. I shot from a lead sled and off of bags

Bedding block and accustock are not synonymous.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

SGT_A-RAY223
    It sounds like you are having a tough time dialing in a consistent load. Try getting a couple of boxes of Black Hills or another good match load, and make sure your action screws are torqued properly. There are several good articles to be found online about it. Just yesterday, by best friend was shooting a new to him 10 FCP in a Choate super sniper stock, that had an aluminum bedding block. It was holding 1", 1 1/4" groups with factory, and I was certain it should shoot better. We backed off the action screws, the re-adjusted them, and it shrunk the groups to 1/2" with factory loads. Food for thought.

After you feel you have the action screws tuned right, then work up a good load for it. Check out Dan Newberry's OCW site.

Quote Originally Posted by siford View Post
    I currently have a savage 11 300 wsm. Ive been looking at triggers and some don't work with the accu trigger because apparently the bolt release gets interfered with since it is in front of the trigger guard. Also I'm pulling 1 inch groups at 100. I do reload and it seems that no matter the load I throw at it doesn't get much tighter. Two bullets will touch and the third will go an inch to the left. Always the left. Do you think a match barrel could fix this issue?
    With the nature of your question, I am going to assume that you are somewhat new to chasing very tight groups/reloading. I wouldn't expect that a simple barrel change would fix your issues.
    Poor trigger control, typically from an inconsistent trigger, causes a lot of accuracy issues. Proper load development for specific equipment is also another art that many find difficult.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

USMC-JOhnson
    I have a sharp shooter supply trigger that i bought and ended up not installing. I didnt feel comfortable with how it is installed even though it got great reviews. I ended up going the rifle basix route and have been very very pleased with it. The adjustment range is good and i have it pretty low and cant get it to drop the sear unintentionally.