I guess build threads is the best place to put this. This is going to be a bit of a long term build because I don't have a lot to spend, but I just took a huge leap forward, and wanted to share.

Now some of you may have read my intro thread months ago, and if so, sorry for the redundancy, but here are the basics:

Savage 111 .300 Win Mag, not sure of the exact model, it was a kit gun with a Bushnell 3-9x40, black plastic stock, and a drop box magazine.

I started out fitting it, which required some spacers to extend the LOP to 15", which of course required that my scope move back further than the rings would allow, so I got an EGW 20MOA base, and some cheap UTG 6 bolt rings. Once the placement was right, I got my eye in line using a cheek piece from Tactical works.

After the first round of modifications were completed, I took it to the range, zero'd it, and shot a 4 shot .624" hole off a bag at 100yds. Not bad.

The next thing I did was get a Harris bipod, and a pod lock, and have had it out in the desert a few times working on my prone shooting, as this is a long range build.

The prone hasn't been going well, as this rifle with a sporter barrel, light plastic stock, and no muzzle brake, is really a handful in the recoil department, and she's kissed me more than once. I'm working on my technique, though, and down the road, a heavy barrel and a muzzle brake should help quite a bit.

Now for the good stuff!

This last weekend a good friend of mine came down from CO for a wedding, and brought me some gifts! One of which was a sweet new pair of waders (not relevant here, but still awesome!), and the other was a new optic! He had decided to simplify his long range rifle (a Remington 700 .308), and installed a new Bushnell Elite Tactical fixed 10x on it, and had no use for his old optic, a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44!

So I promptly installed the Nikon, which included a matched set of Ken Farrell rings, bore sighted it, and that's where we're at now. Hopefully I'll be able to get it zero'd sometime this week and print a group!

I'll post pics soon!