Thread: Brownell's refusing to sell me a bolt head and firing pin assembly w/o FFL...?

AZ-K9

Brownell's refusing to sell me a bolt head and firing pin assembly w/o FFL...?

I don't get it, made a big order of parts for a switch barrel, among them the bolt head and firing pin assembly. Got a call today from Brownells CS who told me they cannot sell me the parts without an FFL. I tried to pry the reason out of CS and the best I got was maybe Savage requires them to only sell to licensee's as part of a contract.

That kinda put a crimp in my plans, where should I send my money for the parts now?

Basic Member

Re: Brownell's refusing to sell me a bolt head and firing pin assembly w/o FFL...?

You can get those parts at Midway or from SSS.

Re: Brownell's refusing to sell me a bolt head and firing pin assembly w/o FFL...?

they only try to sell internal parts to smith's, with the assumption they are the only one that know how to install them correctly. LOL kinda like government intelligence.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

hank440

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06
    You can get those parts at Midway or from SSS.
    Midway is out of stock for now >

AZ-K9

I must have purchased their last sets, got an order in this morning. At least they said they were in stock when I ordered....

Aggravating that I could have ordered them via and order I made two days before, but I saw brownells had a better price. Got stuck with a special handling fee from Midway to add insult..

Ahhhhh, now the wait begins for the parts and my first barrel swap to occur. ;D

Call SSS or Stockade. Either should have them in stock.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Hawk45

I ran into this same problem yesterday with Brownells. I recieved an email stating one of my items needed an FFL "associated" to my account to ship. When I replied they said I could just have my FFL send over a copy or I could if I had a copy. It's not a ATF requirement but one that Savage requests (not sure how Midway and others get around though) and there is no paperwork for the FFL so there isn't a fee and they can ship right to my house. Anyway I told the girl my FFL isn't open till Wed and gave her the name and address of my shop. She said they had a copy of thier FFL on file and just associated it to my account and would send the package out immediately. Overall I was pretty happy in the end. But they need to make things more clear on what they actully need. Not an FFL like for a gun.. but just a shop with an FFL associated to your account.

Hope this helps.. Brownells has always been a good place to buy from for me. And they made things right w/o me having to jump through a bunch of hoops.. just a few emails.

ChipEckardt

Re: Brownell's refusing to sell me a bolt head and firing pin assembly w/o FFL..

Maybe it is just me but I would never again deal with a vendor who tried to do something like this. There is no legal reason to require a FFL. It is their right to request one. It is my right to take my business elsewhere.

Chip

Uncle Jack

Brownells has always been a PITA to deal with. Even back when I ran a full service gun shop and gunsmithing business they always acted like they were doing you a favor to deal with you.

uj

Fellas, it's not completely Brownell's here..........it's Savage policy.

I needed replacement parts for a new 220F slug gun. The firing pin was bad so I called and requested a new firing pin and spring. Savage will only ship those type parts to a FFL holder.

GabbyM

Could this be an issue with State Control laws?
    I've ordered AR bolts from Brownells with no issues.
    Brownells gives your gunsmith or FFL shop a discount anyways.

AZ-K9

The lady I dealt with was pretty clear in that she thought it was a Savage contractual issue between Savage and Brownells.

In order for Brownells to carry those parts Savage makes them insist on an FFL. It's total BS on the part of Savage.