Thread: Difference in extractor from .378 to .473 Bolt head?

rbeckwith

Difference in extractor from .378 to .473 Bolt head?

I am in the process of converting my LRPV from .223 to 6mmBRX. I removed the swapped the bolt head and used the complete bolt minus the extractor and ejector to headspace the Brux barrel. Once I reassembled the bolt completely, I cannot get the bolt to close over a chambered piece of brass (the same piece I used to headspace the barrel without damaging the head of the brass.

After having tried this, I am thinking that there is a difference in the sizes of the extractors, just becuase of the difference in the walls of the bolt head btween the two diameters.

If I were to just modify the one that I have...how would I do it?

Basic Member

Re: Difference in extractor from .378 to .473 Bolt head?

All of the extractors are the same size. Will the bolt even start to close.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

a 223 extractor is longer cause the casehead on a 223 is smaller. Thats gotta be your problem.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

rbeckwith

Thanks for your response Brent, but pDog is right. I just got off the phone with Savage and they are telling me that there is one extractor for the .223/.204 bolt head and then they have thier standard size extractor that fits everything else. She gave me a part number of 100139 for the standard bolt head for a RBLP action. She then said they have a 10 dollar minimum and that I could not order just that extractor from them because it did not cost enough. She suggested I order more than one...but I do not need more than one.

I may just take a file to the one I have and see if I can get it to work and if not I will order one from Brownells.

Has anyone modified one before and can give me some tips?

I pulled a couple bolts real quick and snapped a pic of them for ya. Here ya go:

308 bolthead on top/ 223 bolthead on bottom

[img width=600 height=450]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/may2010001.jpg[/img]
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

rbeckwith

I think pDog just put the uncertainty to rest.

I'm just going to take a file to it and see if I can get it to work. I have a right hand .473 bolt head that I can pull the extractor out of and use as a guide.

Thanks everyone for your input.

you might wanna check the back of the extractor and see where the little "dot" for the spring/ball is in the back. This will make a difference on where and how to file. I've never done it but it looks something that should be checked. Looking at pdog06's pic there, if you use the firing pin hole as your point of reference for everything else, then the ejector looks to be in the same place. It then stands to reason the the hole drilled to house the spring and ball for the extractor may be in the same place. if that is the case then you would have to file the side of the extractor blade that faces the brass. If that is the side that needs filing, then you would also have to file a recess on the back side of the extractor to grab the brass, after you have filed it for length.

I am just using logic here based off of Pdog's pic. I may be wrong, but it seems logical and I would say needs checked.

If it were me, I would just order one up.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Good point Boots. It should definately be checked. He says he also has a 308 extractor off another gun he's gonna use for measurements, so it'll be easy enough to flip them over and compare before he cuts anything.
    ~Clint Eastwood

Netz

How much does a Extractor/Ejector kit typically run???
    I have a stripped bolt head that needs parts, basically I'm in the same boat as rbeckwith.
    Curt

About $10.

You can get them from Midway, SSS, Savage, or Numrich.
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

The business end of the extractors are exactly the same, the only difference is the tail end. Trim the outside so when the extractor is pushed away from the center of the bolt face far enough to snap over a rim, the tail is not past the outside of the bolt head.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Baryngyl

Quote Originally Posted by Netz
    How much does a Extractor/Ejector kit typically run???
    I have a stripped bolt head that needs parts, basically I'm in the same boat as rbeckwith.
    Curt
    I just ordered a bolt head and all the parts needed from Midway.
    The Lee 1-Cavity Bullet Mold I added as I needed to order something to make the order over $50.00 to use the $10.00 off coupon and I needed the mold anyway.
    Below is the prices.
    ItemID Qty Price Description
    -------- ---- ------- -----------------------------------
    378112 1 $19.79 Savage Arms Bolt Head Long Actio...
    765933 1 $19.79 Lee 1-Cavity Bullet Mold (690 Di...
    107108 1 $4.69 Savage Arms Extractor Top Loadin...
    117919 1 $3.19 Savage Arms Ejector Top Loading ...
    149221 1 $2.39 Savage Arms Extractor Detent Bal...
    782010 1 $2.39 Savage Arms Ejector Retaining Pi...
    444465 1 $2.39 Savage Arms Extractor Spring Top...
    194256 1 $2.29 Savage Arms Ejector Spring Top L...
    989465 1 $0.00 MidwayUSA Master Catalog #33
    Sub Total $68.94
    Coupon -$10.00
    Postage, Handling & Insurance: $12.02
    Order Total: $58.94

If you order from them try using 1 of these coupon codes.
    $10 off $50 purchase of regular priced items. Not valid for sale items

There are other codes for bigger orders, just do a Google search for "midway promotion code", and find the one you need.
    Just because they say they expired is no reason to not try them, some will work.

Michael Grace

Netz

Thanks, I didn't see those at Midway,(just wasn't looking in the right place), Brownell's only listed the spring.
    I e-mailed SSS and still waiting on a reply.
    Curt

This was timely - I'm in the same boat - thanks for the midway shopping list.

AZ-K9

Id like to bump this as this was a major problem for me during a recent caliber change. I could not get the extractor to pop over the rim of the new cartridge and could not figure it out, had to load the rounds with the bolt out of the rifle in the the bolt face, then put the bolt in the rifle.

The extractor was right at the edge of the bolt and there was no room for the extractor to move laterally to allow it to snap over the rim. Even with the bolt back in the action the bolt raceway prevents the extractor from extending outside the dimension of the bolt, resulting in my having to remove it from the action.

Finding this post was my solution, hope it serves the same for any others. Thanks!