Thread: I'm not a new member,I've been around for years, but I have been gone for a long time

Deserthunter

I'm not a new member,I've been around for years, but I have been gone for a long time

I'm 67yrs old, my health problems have taken me away from my life long hobby. I've reloaded for nearly 50yr -- I've hunted most all that time, taking nearly 50 mule deer, 3 elk, countless coyotes, rabbits, upland birds, ducks, geese, pine and sage hens. Right now I'm nearly in tears... Both knees replaced, right shoulder, 4 back fusions and another on the way. My son will drive me around in my Rhino but most of my friends have passed away, not really much fun... OLD AGE ISN'T FOR SISSEY'S.... I will try and pass on what I've learned over the years, maybe it will help younger hunters.... and maybe, just maybe, I'll get to go deer hunting one last time....
    Deserthunter

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Basic Member
    Hang in there DH, sounds like it's been a hard road. Don't dwell on what you can no longer do, but rather what you still can do well. I taught myself to reload from books (back when books were at libraries!) and I would have given anything for someone to show me the ropes. (And that trimming is a must!!! Lol) I think getting involved would not only benefit you, but this next generation, who will have a mighty deck stacked against them. Are you familiar with the Appleseed Project? They are always looking for help. Appleseed is devoted to history, heritage and marksmanship. What a great program. There are three upcoming events in Utah.

If rough ground and long hikes are now out of the question, perhaps take up one of the shooting sports. Bench rest would be low impact, and is maddening trying for that elusive group. You can shoot with what you have, then upgrade as you get more competitive. (Yes, it's highly competitive and addicting.) Try it!

So in closing, keep your chin up. Be thankful you have what you do. Many young men come back from the Middle East that have no legs, no arms, no eyesight, and yet they persevere. Many still hunt and are active in the shooting sports. Another thing I hope you do is jot down your memories. After 50 years of hunting, I'm positive you have some stories. Don't fret about grammar or spelling, just get the stories, ideas and memories on the page. Your son and grandchildren will cherish those pages. I know this because my grandparents did it for me. It's a great moments that I refer back to often.

DesertHunter, keep on truckin' and God bless.

Welcome back!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Welcome back
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.