Thread: Savage stock problem

Savage stock problem

I have and Savage Palma 12. I took it apart to completely clean it and upon assembly I found where the rear trigger guard screw attaches into the stock is stripped. How can I properly repair this? It is the stock, not the screw that is the problem. TNX

pitsnipe
    Fill the hole with epoxy. Drill pilot hole to specs for the size screw. Re assemble.

Snipe

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    Fill the hole with epoxy. Drill pilot hole to specs for the size screw. Re assemble.

Snipe
    +1 on this, this is the easiest way. i drilled the hole out a bit larger and epoxy wood dowel in and redrill for the screw.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post

Snipe
    PERFECT, go for it, I have personally done it before.

TNX guys.

Ironfinger
    Ooorrrr, you can simply put a LARGE splinter of your favorite hardwood into the hole before putting the screw in and 'Viola, tight as can be!

Basic Member
    If the screw strips out again after repairs, here is my suggestion for a more permanent repair. Start by drilling out the hole with a slightly larger bit. Mix a good, long curing epoxy (30 minutes or longer) and add wood flour, saw dust or if you have them, milled cotton fibers until well thickened. Or buy a filled epoxy such as JB weld, Devcon 10110 etc, but use a liquid epoxy, not a paste type. The epoxy must be thin enough to get into the fibers of the stock wood. I like to mix at least 10 grams to avoid possible mixing ratio errors and I use a scale to proportion accurately. Coat the screw with a release agent, KIWI natural shoe polish will work well. Work the epoxy into the hole with a toothpick, and coat the screw. Now install the screw. When cured, if the screw does not release easily, touch a hot soldering iron to the screw head for 15 to 30 seconds and try the screw again. Sand off any squeeze from the stock once it's cured. I use this method because trying to simply fill a small, blind hole with epoxy is very hard as air gets trapped and prevents epoxy from getting all the way down the hole.

I was at Ace Hardware the other day and saw a brass insert with a threaded hole in the middle. I was wondering about changing it to a threaded bolt.

thomae
    You can do that if you want, but that rearmost screw is not really a load bearing screw, and does not need to be tightened so much that stripping out of a properly sized wood hole should be a problem.

Thank you. I know it is not a load bearing screw and only holds the rear of the guard done. I was just looking around on another project and ran across it. I just want to do a proper job and be done with it.

Red face

Drywall screw
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

A drywall screw is too aggressive on the Savage Palma as well as too long. It would hit the trigger assembly. I bought some things and it should be fixed by Tuesday .

Basic Member
    I found the only 'good' use for golf tees, to repair striped holes in wood stocks especially for course thread sling swivel studs. Open the hole a little larger, cut or sand them down for a snug fit then secure with a waterproof glue or JB-JB Quick the drill them to size.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

I found a nylon stand off at Ace hardware and installed that after drilling out the hole with JB Weld. Then I used a stainless self threading screw. Looks good and it is now good to go.