Thread: Berger

Berger

Looking (specifically) for shooters that have used Bergers Ballistics calculator to calculate drop for Bergers VLD pills in 6.5.
    Has there calculations been spot on for you,or have you had to add slight adjustments?

Basic Member
    You're always going to have to make slight adjustments for any ballistic calculator you use. You can get a rough idea and it will get you close, but unless you have all the data that applies to the shot correct it will only just be close.

Agreed. Crap in crap out. I use the Berger program exclusively and it works really well for me. I find the most important thing to get right is your sight height. For most scopes with a 50mm objective that number is generally right around 1.8". I then use pressures based on altitude and the temp my truck says when I pull up to the range. So for me if I were to go to the range right now I would use a temp of 80 degrees and a pressure of 26.82 for an elevation of 3000 ft. Most of the time I am within a click or two of being centered up at any given range as long as my chrony gives me a reliable average velocity.

well aware of input data needed guys.....the questions is (see above)....................have you used Berger,s web site for ballistic calculations specifically for VLD,s in 6.5.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Agreed. Crap in crap out. I use the Berger program exclusively and it works really well for me. I find the most important thing to get right is your sight height. For most scopes with a 50mm objective that number is generally right around 1.8". I then use pressures based on altitude and the temp my truck says when I pull up to the range. So for me if I were to go to the range right now I would use a temp of 80 degrees and a pressure of 26.82 for an elevation of 3000 ft. Most of the time I am within a click or two of being centered up at any given range as long as my chrony gives me a reliable average velocity.
    Thanks for the reply

Which projectile (VLD) do you use for there calculations?............ seeing as how you've used there site and there results have been correct then that's good news. I figured it would be seeing as how its there projectile that Im using and there ballistic data
    I purchased a wrist watch made by Casio that has the ability of reading temp/altitude/baro pressure. Really shines when Im tossing rounds out past 800.
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 07-08-2015 at 10:51 AM.
    {John Wayne}

I have used their site for lots of different bullets using Bryan Litz measured BC's and had them all work really well. The Berger 6.5mm 140VLD is the one I use most though and I use the G7 numbers whenever possible no matter what bullet it is that I am shooting.

How do you like the watch? I have the Casio Pathfinder currently that gives hunting prime times based on solunar tables and it works great, but I have had my eye on that new one for awhile.

I have used their site for lots of different bullets using Bryan Litz measured BC's and had them all work really well. The Berger 6.5mm 140VLD is the one I use most though and I use the G7 numbers whenever possible no matter what bullet it is that I am shooting.

How do you like the watch? I have the Casio Pathfinder currently that gives hunting prime times based on solunar tables and it works great, but I have had my eye on that new one for awhile.
    So far the watch has served its purpose. Im not sure which one mine is but its a great/useful tool. Especilally during changes of season. My shooting buddies laughed it off when I showed up out at a mile long canyon we shoot at with that watch. They thought twice once I started sending and hitting my objectives at distance,s past 900 out to 1200.
    Interesting as to how you've used his BC. Sure helps a lot.
    Ive only had to use G7 on these 130gr VLD target pills Im using. the VLd,s have admittingly sent me back to school as far as which drag function to use but after some research and reading even from Litz, and others, its less foggy and I can rapp my brain around it now.
    I like to use several ballistic calculators that are free and see what there results are including berger/fed/ etc...
    Lately Ive been calculating using shooters calculator.com and from what I see it offers different drag options.
    It also changes the pills coeff. due to diff. altitudes and baro.
    I don't know how accurate it is but Im soon to find out this weekend. That along with Bergers calculations.
    {John Wayne}

What I found is that the G7 does report more accurately while super-sonic, but once you cross trans-sonic; the multiple G1's are a much better predictor.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

That's the exact opposite for me although I don't shoot out to trans sonic distances very often. I generally max out at 1000 and take a poke out farther every now and then but the G7 has always been the best fit for me. The G1 works pretty good if you can average the BC. Sierra makes this easy with their velocity banding method but other bullet makers and especially Nosler only list the highest possible number.

I calculated my drop using G1 for the 1st get go using the VLD,s and from 600 on out, I was high. I purposely started bringing my elevation down to hit at 6 and came up being about 2.5 moa high.
    I went out to 8-9-1K only to verify that indeed my poi were all high.
    I knew my calculations were incorrect some where. It sucks when you find yourself second guessing yourself. Did I measure my speeds correctly?...did I measure my sight height correctly...this and that correctly.
    When I got home I realized I had used the wrong drag function. Once I reevaluated and recalculated using G7 then things started making sense.
    I just happened to see that new watch Casio came out with you speak of......wow!.......but.. I---M-U-S-T- R-E-S-I-S-T!.........the force is too strong though....Im about ready to hit...BUY IT NOW! lololol
    {John Wayne}

Sierra makes this easy with their velocity banding method but other bullet makers and especially Nosler only list the highest possible number.
    Correct, one of the reasons I like Sierra the best. I shoot to a mile with my 308, so crossing trans-sonic and drop beyond is very important. Shooter has those stepped Sierra numbers and Litz's testing numbers. So I can run the numbers, then flip a tab to compare the G1 once I cross.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Correct, one of the reasons I like Sierra the best. I shoot to a mile with my 308, so crossing trans-sonic and drop beyond is very important. Shooter has those stepped Sierra numbers and Litz's testing numbers. So I can run the numbers, then flip a tab to compare the G1 once I cross.
    curious....what elev are you at....and at what speed does it hit trans-sonic
    {John Wayne}

When I shoot to a mile that farm sits right about 900' elevation.
    As you know trans-sonic crossing changes with the air. Currently at 105, 25%RH with my start velocity of 2557(10-shot average) 175 SMK; She drops sub sonic at 1161.7 fps @ 1140 yards.

2557 @ 900 elevation. I can see why your more in tune with the your pills transition. Guess it's like anything else. Gotta adapt and adjust to your surroundings to make things happen.
    I'm pushing my 175 smks 2700 @ 3800 - 4200ft elevation.

Copy that. For me, the node that exists in my rifle up that high isn't as wide, or stable with changing temps. My current lower node is silly stable (single digit ES, SD).

Cheers

Don't have any pics but I was indeed able to trust Bergers Ballistics Calcuations.
    Extremely calm winds and 90dg temps helped me to smack at 900/970/1017/1118yds easily with Bergers Calculator and there 130gr VLD. in 6.5 rem.
    My oh my how I like those berger pills but gezz I wish they didn't cost so much.
    {John Wayne}