Thread: 110 Magazine question

110 Magazine question

Hello to all fellow lovers of savage,
    My question has been probably asked a thousand times on the forum. I have a pair of savage 110's one is newer model it has two round receiver rings and a accutrigger, the other is pre accutrigger and has flat rear receiver ring. My question I was thinking about replacing the plastic magazine follower with an aluminum one. I was wondering about replacing the magazine spring with leaf spring. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? The coil springs seem weak to me. Will I need to modify the blind magazine box to hold the bottom of the leaf spring?
    Thanks

Just get a aluminum follower and it goes in on top of the old one and makes it a single shot if that is what you want. The newer one, SSS makes a really nice one that pops into the receiver and stays without glue and can be removed easily by tapping it out. You don't have to change any springs .
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Why do you want to replace the spring and/or follower? I have seen / fired /worked on dozens of Savages and never had a problem with their plastic follower or springs. Is it not feeding properly? Is it hanging up somewhere? Sometimes, when changing barrels to unconventional cartridges, I've had to open up the mag lips in order to get it to feed better, but they've always worked well when feeding the cartridges it was originally designed for.

Thanks for the replies. The newer one is 30-60 and will not be re barreled. When hand loaded it is very accurate. The problem is when the bolt is stroked the cartridges will not feed, the follower and spring seem to hold them in the top of the magazine, but does not push them tightly into the magazine lips. The older one I am preparing to re-build it is a 30-06 and will become a 35 Whelen I already have a 24 in shaw barrel. Thanks

Basic Member
    hmmm... I don't know. I would not say mine have a lot tension against the lips, either. Yours might need the lips opened up a little bit or the mag height adjusted so the bolt just slides over the top of the lips as it cycles.

Sorry I don't have better advice or info than that.

Thanks, I don't have the rifle in front of me. I'm going to get on the bench and really take real good look at it both in and out of the stock.