Thread: Accuracy potential of a Savage long action?

Basic Member

Accuracy potential of a Savage long action?

Looking at building a long action long range rifle. The Savage Varmint and Target actions are only available in short actions. What kind of accuracy can a Savage long action produce, given a decent trigger, barrel and stock?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a Savage action over a Rem 700? Won't be swapping barrels so that isn't an issue.

Is there a reputable co blueprinting/improving on the Savage long actions like so many do for the Rem?

Any and all info welcome, Matt.

pphreed

Re: Accuracy potential of a Savage long action?

I don't know what one is capable of but I have a large shank long action that I put a brux 30 in barrel 300RUM on and a sss stock and yesterday I shot 5 3shot groups with different loads of rl 25 300 yds all but 1 was under 3 in and 1 was under 2 in with 210 berger bullets so they can do ok and that action is stock factory except for the trigger I think I may be able to improve that a small bit

hotbrass

The length of the action does not matter. There is equal capability in long and short actions. Its what you put in them, or hang on them, that matters.

knickia

my understanding is the big advantage of the savage is the floating head being accurate without the need to blueprint, compared to a solid bolt.

sure someone will chime in, but SharpShooter Supply (SSS) is reported to do a good job of time/true actions etc. Their link is in the sponsors section or a quick google will bring it up.

possum1

I don't shoot long range, but I have a 243 on a long action and it shoot's just as well as my short at 100-200 yds. I'm trying to decide which one I'll do the custom build on first.

dcloco

In all fairness, if the same accuracy work is done on any brand of action, any action will shoot accurately.

The single shot Savage actions tend to be very accurate. One piece receiver without the cutout for a mag well tends to be a rather strong action.

Have several single shot actions that shoot very well. The 338 RUM on a Target action shoots rather good groups to 1800 yards (can go further, just need to find a place that we can use).

Barrel quality, gunsmith ability/equipment, optics, trigger, and you will determine the true accuracy potential.

hotbrass

The bolt to barrel lockup is the main contributing factor in accuracy of the action. You could cut the back of the action off if you had a strong enough attachment system to hold the action in the stock, and it would be just as accurate, all other things being equal, barrel alignment, headspace, etc....

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by mattri
    Looking at building a long action long range rifle. The Savage Varmint and Target actions are only available in short actions. What kind of accuracy can a Savage long action produce, given a decent trigger, barrel and stock?
    Better than 95% of the shooters can shot. I have a long range gun built on a long action and it will shoot better than I can. Shot many 5 shot 100 yard groups in the low .3's with that gun. No difference in accuracy in a short or a long action, a well as a single shot or repeater.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a Savage action over a Rem 700? Won't be swapping barrels so that isn't an issue.
    Disadvantages, the only I can think of is there is less quality aftermarket parts available for a Savage in comparison to a Remington. The Savage does have a few advantages, with swapping barrels, and bolt heads, to accommodate just about any caliber you can possibly think of. The floating bolt head has positive contact with the lugs, and doesn't require lapping like a Remington, or other bolt actions. Some people have reported gained accuracy in their Remington's buy using a Savage nut on them.

Is there a reputable co blueprinting/improving on the Savage long actions like so many do for the Rem?
    Most gun smiths try to do what works on a Remington to a Savage , and it just don't work. They are just different.

One of the top Savage gun smiths in the world is Sharp Shooters Supply, (SSS) they started the aftermarket parts supply for Savage, and are one of only a few company's that offer quality parts. A lot of smiths try to mimic what SSS does but they are unable. SSS can do anything you would possible want from a hunting rifle to a full out benchrest gun.

www.sharpshootersupply.com

Basic Member

The biggest advantage savage has over remington is cost. Its cheaper to build a long range rig off a savage action than a remington. Stocks and barrels are going to be about the same cost. A good aftermarket trigger like the SSS Competition Trigger can be had for under $100. A Time and True job for a Savage is about $125 from SSS. To get a remington blueprinted costs about $400 last time I checked.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member

Thanks for the replies.

What exactly does timing/trueing an action accomplish, how is it done?

How much of a difference will you see accuracy wise between an action that has been timed/trued and one that hasn't?

knickia

My understanding..

trued: makes sure that the chamber, bore, and bolt face are all accurately aligned (machined where needed), so everything goes straight :)

Timed: getting the "lock" time down by adjusting the bolt /trigger components, firing pin springs, sear etc..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accurizing

82boy

Thanks for the replies.

What exactly does timing/trueing an action accomplish, how is it done?

How much of a difference will you see accuracy wise between an action that has been timed/trued and one that hasn't?
    The FAQs section has the answer.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...ic,4899.0.html

It basically blue prints the action and prefects it. It will do little to improve accuracy, but what it mainly does is make the bolt operation silky smooth, like a custom action. It gives a Savage a true one finger opening. This keeps the rifle in the bags without disturbing the sand, so that would help keeping shot to shot consistent. This also improves ignition, so you may see a bit of noticeable gain in accuracy there.