Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10-FCP feed issue

JWPNW

10-FCP feed issue

Hey all,
    new member, also my first savage rifle. Hoping for some insight.

have owned this for about 9 months now. Just recently working up some good loads that I'm happy with but...here's my issue.
    About 1 in 5 rounds doesn't seem to want to push fully into the chamber. As I push the bolt forward it goes about 85-90% home and then hangs. I can back off slightly, or jiggle the bolt a little as I let back on the forward pressure, and it goes on in. Not every round but more often than I am comfortable with. New ammo, reloads, doesn't matter. Same result.

Was hoping it might be something that would work its way out but I now have about 200 rounds thru it and it's no better, no worse.
    I can petition savage to look at it as a "warranty" issue as it is still less than 1 year since purchase but that means removing scope, paying shipping, waiting etc. and hoping they actually solve the issue, Or paying a local smith to take a look.

Anyone have a similar experience? One of my concerns is that don't want to send it in just to have them throw an oversized reamer in it to quick fix it ultimately sacrificing accuracy etc. Always a little concerned with if they let it go out the door that way, why would they concern themselves with being diligent in the repair.
    Maybe I'm Paranoid.
    Thoughts?

Basic Member
    it sounds like the rounds are clearing the mag and not hanging up, right? will it do this if you single feed a round?

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

JWPNW
    Yes. Even when single feeding the problem exists.
    It's almost feels like the bolt doesn't quite align the cartridge properly or like there's a small ridge that grabs the case mouth as it enters that last 1/2" of chambering.
    I have essentially no gunsmithing experience so that is just an off the cuff statement as to what it "feels like"

jb6.5
    Try playing w

JWPNW
    Quote Originally Posted by jb6.5 View Post
    Try playing w
    ???

jb6.5
    Sorry, stupid phone.
    Try adjusting the magazine lips to hold the base of the cartridge down a little bit longer. Sometimes they will let the cartridge kinda pop up or slip out too soon and cause it to bind upwards in the back. The friction on the bolt face won't allow it to straighten up without pulling back and letting it settle before you can push it in

JWPNW
    I have two mags and doesn't seem to matter which I use. Will even occasionally happen when single feeding unless I finger the cartridge deep and full into the chamber. If I just lay it in there withe the nose barely in it will sometimes happen.
    Iwill try tweaking one of the mags and see if it changes anything.

Basic Member
    is it the 1st round that catches or is it random? what caliber?

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

JWPNW
    random, 308

Basic Member
    this isn't going to be much help to you but i'm thinking along the same lines as jb6.5, must be the feed lips on the mags. call Savage on the 13th when they re-open and talk with them. if it needs to go back under warranty they will take care of shipping i believe.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

JWPNW
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    this isn't going to be much help to you but i'm thinking along the same lines as jb6.5, must be the feed lips on the mags. call Savage on the 13th when they re-open and talk with them. if it needs to go back under warranty they will take care of shipping i believe.

Bruce
    Probably end up sending it in.
    Thanks for the input. I really like the rifle but hate that it doesn't feed reliably. Drives me nuts.

Basic Member
    yup, same problem here, brand new FCP!!!

About a third of the rounds out of the mag will snag.

Left handed .308.

I do know where it's hanging / snagging, and that's about half an inch under the shoulder; the rounds snags on the top side of the chamber entrance / very back of the barrel.

To check if it's the same spot on your brass, put a little extra pressure on the bolt when it snags, then back the bolt back, take out the round and check to see if you see that same mark in the brass from the rear end of the chamber.

The $300 Axis i have feeds great, this FCP at twice the price doesn't feed right, has a flaw (dent) in the fluting of the barrel and at the last half inch of the barrel near the muzzle there's a small ring mark or machining flaw in the bore. (not me, noticed when new / unfired by me)

It shoots good, but this is just sloppy.

Haven't found a fix for the mag yet.

Awesome...

greyghost
    Just get accurate mag and new bottom metal, All those troubles will go away, I did and it feeds flawless every time 1st round to last, A lot smoother also

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
    Just get accurate mag and new bottom metal, All those troubles will go away, I did and it feeds flawless every time 1st round to last, A lot smoother also
    Lets spend about another $200 to get a new rifle to feed properly.. no thanks!

I bought a brand new multishot bolt action, and so i don't see why i should be on the hook for that amount, just because the factory shipped me one that doesn't feed properly...

My $100 mosin nagants feeds like a dream, am i wrong to expect a $700 (transfer fees and taxes) firearm to actually feed properly and hold the 10 rounds it's advertised to do without the 10th round popping out half the time when inserting the magazine in the rifle?

I'll call Savage, to see what they have to say about this.

Wicasa
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentvangerven View Post
    The $300 Axis i have feeds great, this FCP at twice the price doesn't feed right, has a flaw (dent) in the fluting of the barrel and at the last half inch of the barrel near the muzzle there's a small ring mark or machining flaw in the bore. (not me, noticed when new / unfired by me)

It shoots good, but this is just sloppy.

Haven't found a fix for the mag yet.

Awesome...
    Same ring mark here in a 17 years old Savage 110FP Tacticle .308

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicasa View Post
    Same ring mark here in a 17 years old Savage 110FP Tacticle .308

yup that's it, could be a pic of my bore..

JWPNW
    I tend to agree with Vince. A new rifle that I put out $1000 for (mine is the HS Precision model) should not require me to spend $200 on a aftermarket mag to function.
    If it is the mag, it seems like savage should be able to figure this out and design a better one. If AccuMags can do it, why can't savage.

I just visited AccuMags web site. They say that they're mags are used in many factory savage rifles. Anyone know which models?
    i have to say I'm a bit disappointed to hear that it might be a common problem. I hope I don't regret buying this instead of the Remington that I almost bought. Might be a rifle for sale here soon. I hate stuff that doesn't work right.

greyghost
    If you read up on this rifle, It was a known fact off the get go they were having trouble with the savage mag, That's why they were so long in coming out, Because they couldn't keep the demand for mags up with the production of rifles. I also changed out to the accurate mag because if P-Mag ever gets its production up and running you will be able to buy the aics mag at 1/2 the cost of factory mag. The original 10 fcp-sr was aics compatible and never had a problem but instead of 1200.00 the same rifle is 7-800 and you get the factory bottom metal and mag, 200.00 well spent to fix the problem and I have several mags to choose from rather than 1 over priced mag that may or may not work. But that's MHO And your still better off than buying a Rem

JWPNW
    I just spoke with the guy at Accurate-Mag. He's not sure that his DBM's will even fit my rifle. Said he hasn't had one of these newer style FCP's to fit, so were shooting in the dark here. He asked about where my mag release is. Told him. He said that is a proprietary mag that Savage came out with.
    I also just got off the phone with Savage CS. They are sending me a call tag to send in the rifle for service. We will see where it goes from here. I'm willing to give them the chance, and hopefully it's something they can easily deal with.
    I didn't mention i did buy a Dark Eagle Mag (10 rnd) and the problem exist with that one as well so I'm not fully convinced it's in the mags, but not ruling it out either. Dark eagle uses the savage top metal and puts their own extended bottom, follower etc. to make the 10 round. Savage only offers the 4 round flush.
    Im curious if you have the same configuration as mine, or if your's is the older style before the proprietary mags?

greyghost
    Mine is a 2015 fcp-sr the bolt release is on the side, The mag release is on the bottom the new bottom metal fit like a glove, The only problem I had was the screws they say original screws will work they will not, Do not talk to young Phillip the owners son he is not only arrogant but does not know his own product. I told him his own web site said it came with screws he basically called me a liar, I called back with the web site and he did eat crow, I was sent the proper screws. Other than that it works perfect, I agree pain in the butt to spend that much money and have to spend 200.00 to be right, But now I have complete faith in this rifle so to me it was the right thing to do. I want to be able to get good mags, If you cant it becomes a single shot real quick

greyghost
    I don't think a dark eagle will work until you change bottom metal, Then supposedly dark eagle, aics, accurate mag, Ruger scout rifle, And P-mag aics mags will work or so I am told, Hope this helps

JWPNW
    The dark eagle fits and works with the factory bottom metal.
    I have used it with no problem along side the factory 4 round that came with it.
    Y
    The accurate mag guy was supposed to email me a template drawing to see if his bottom metal will fit but the email has not arrived. Maybe tomorrow.
    Does the HS stock utilize the same BM as the FCP-SR/accu stock? I'm wondering if that's where the difference lies.
    It wasn't Phil that I talked to. He seemed to know what he was talking about as far as the proprietary metal etc etc.

Im really curious to see what the result will be from Savage. The tech on the phone didn't seem at all concerned about the mag. In fact, he told me I didn't even need to send the mag in with it. I told him I would because I want to make sure that the mag was not part of the problem. I hope that I will be able to get some feedback as to what they find.

greyghost
    Let us know what Savage has to say, Good Luck and yes the other guy at accurate mag is very good and knows the product well, He took good care of me and was very courteous.

Basic Member
    Am pretty much convinced the problem is in the mag; check if your rounds snags in the chamber at the top end / where the scope rail is when closing the bolt; on mine the mag spring / follower is putting too much upward pressure on the rounds.

When moving the bolt forward and a round clears the mag, the cartridge jumps up from the back when it clears the mag lips, making the round go into the chamber crooked. Nose down, case head upwards. The forward moving bolt is then locking the misalligned round halfway in the chamber and makes it freeze up / jam. Take the tension of the bolt, the round alligns, and you can chamber it.

Haven't solved it 100 % but am on the right track by disassembling the mag and lowering the follower spring tension (bending the spring lightly)

Went from 3 jams in 9 rounds to maybe 1. Savage is sending a new mag so i can experiment a bit with the old one. The problem of only being able to load 9 rounds still exists..
    Last edited by vincent7; 07-18-2015 at 01:44 PM.

jb6.5
    Open the lips in the front of the mag just a little. It will allow the brass to feed up and out a little slower and smoother without poping up as bad. Should fix the problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast