Thread: Is bolt for Savage 110S same as other 110 rifles

EvanB

Is bolt for Savage 110S same as other 110 rifles

I have a Savage 110S silhouette model in .308. I also have a same vintage barrel from a 110V that I swap from time to time. Id like to get another "spare" bolt so I don't have to replace the bolt heads everytime. I do have the .223 bolt head also. Are the short action bolts the same or is it a long action bolt? Anyone know?

A long action bolt is a long action bolt is a long action bolt. As long as the bolt isn't the older keyed style with the firing pin retaining pin 90 degrees off, the parts will interchange. A short action bolt will not work. A long action bolt head for a short action cartridge will work just fine. Make sure you check firing pin protrusion especially if you have different lug thickness between the different bolt heads.
    Since yours is a 110, it requires a long action bolt.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    My 110S in 308 is an intermediate action (first generation short action). Check the action screw spacing, if it's 4.5" then your bolt is an oddball size too.
    Jeff518

EvanB
    Mine is also a 1978 Vintage 110S Silhouette model. It has been described as a "intermediate length" rifle and finding a .223 bolt face for it was impossible. I had to have one made. I was thinking that the actual bolt might be the same length as others and it was just the bolt face that was different. That is where the confusion comes in.

Basic Member
    I believe the bolt heads and baffles are the same as other 110 models (except the very early models) The bolt body and firing pin are a unique length.
    Jeff518