Thread: 110 BA .338 Lapua scope base off center axis

Mikeinfwa

110 BA .338 Lapua scope base off center axis

New rifle...

tested 3 scopes which aligned perfectly on other rifles.

when mounted on the 110 BA I ran out of windage with these 3 scopes.

laid a straight edge along left and right side of base with the ruler extending out to the muzzle break.

Discovered unequal gap. The base is slightly left of center.

Removed base and reattached multiple times with same gap measurement.

Savage is sending a replacement base.

Hopefully this will fix issue and it's not a misaligned barrel.

Basic Member
    Same here. The problem I found on mine, appeared the holes are drilled too large on the rail. Depending on where it was torqued down, it had significant movement side to side. I used a dial indicator on the base and had .080" each direction. I measured center line of bore and centerline of base and going to try it again at range.

I have a buddy that has this problem 4 years ago on his. 4 years later and they are still having same problem???

All my Savages have been every accurate out of the box. The rail quality control (or lack thereof) is pretty crazy.

Not much fun sighting in a rifle at $4 a round!

LongRange
    are you guys using the factory "tacticool" bases? i had the same issues with my BA 300WM and on top of the side to side slop my base was flat not 20MOA like they claim.

Basic Member
    Yes factory base.

Holes are WAY too big for one thing. On my Ken Farrel base for my F class rifle, holes are tight like a glove (like they should be).

LongRange
    i replaced mine with a Murphy precision and that solved all my issues plus i think it looks better but then im not into the tacticool look lol.

heres a pic....

You could always bed the base.

Basic Member
    Spoke with Savage yesterday and they said some of these left the factory w/ the wrong base. They asked my serial number and said they would send out a new one ASAP.

Will see how it does.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Spoke with Savage yesterday and they said some of these left the factory w/ the wrong base. They asked my serial number and said they would send out a new one ASAP.

Will see how it does.
    Amazing! If I am Savage QC, I mount a scope and shoot or laser shoot before it leaves the factory.

Basic Member
    One would think so.

I don't know how its a "wrong" base. None of the other BA's should fit this. I'm thinking "wrong" as in machined wrong. They are sending me a self addressed box and label to send the old one back. I'm going to measure and mic the hell out of that thing before I send it back to see what the problem was.

slowshot
    Had the same problem so went to Night Force base with US Optics windage adjustable rings. Problem solved, scope is dead center on windage.

Basic Member
    Update:

Brand new rifle, was a bent barrel. Savage said they are replacing and sending back to me sometime next week. Will report how it shoots.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowshot View Post
    Had the same problem so went to Night Force base with US Optics windage adjustable rings. Problem solved, scope is dead center on windage.

Ill bet you werent thrilled about plopping down the cost of those rings though. lol
    But for sure they do solve the problem dont they.

Basic Member
    seriously, the head of QC at savage needs to be replaced. he's doing a piss poor job

Basic Member
    Update 7/19/15:

Savage replaced barrel. Test fired, QC inspected and range tested and sent me copy of report. I took it out and shot it out to 1250 yards and it seemed to shoot well.
    Have not had time to test loads etc. But it appears they did a fine job fixing the problem. In my business anyone can have a problem, it's how it's resolved that separates the good from the bad. So I'm pleased the way Savage handled this and would buy from them again.

Mikeinfwa
    My first rifle was sent back and replaced with new one.

the new rifle is extremely accurate at 1000 yards with both 250 grain and 300 grain Sierra Match Kings.

I have a few threads posted regarding both the old and new rifle.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-at-1000-yards

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...s-Hodgdon-4831

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-at-1000-yards

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-338-next-week