Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hogue OverMolded...What floor plate do I need? And where do I get mags?

whiskeyloaf

Hogue OverMolded...What floor plate do I need? And where do I get mags?

Hello all,
    I just ordered a Hogue OverMolded stock and sent it to my gunsmith. It is set up for DBM, but my gun is originally top feed. My gunsmith tells me I just need a floor plate, what is that and where do I get it?
    Also, what kind of magazine do I need to buy?

Basic Member
    call Savage after the 13th when they reopen, they are closed for the holiday. have your serial # ready when you speak to them.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Having your serial number will do you no good, if the rifle didn't come equipped with a DBM from the factory. Post here whether it's gloss, matte, or stainless and the rifle chambering and I can provide the part number and a serial number to go with it. That's providing it's a center feed and not a stagger feed.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

whiskeyloaf
    It's matte black, .308, heavy barrel, center feed, and my gunsmith tells me it is long action.

Can't help you there, never seen a center feed long action in .308 from the factory.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

whiskeyloaf
    Oh nevermind, it is staggered feed. Does that change things?

whiskeyloaf

Basic Member
    I am 99% certain that no one but Savage has ever made stocks for stagger feed detachable mags. They are a unique beast. They have a release button in the side of the stock and the bottom metal for them are almost impossible to find these days. I have searched for a couple years and the last one I found was about a year ago. Even then, the only reason I was looking for one was because I had found some really nice factory walnut stocks with cut checkering that needed that particular hardware. so... I hate to say it, but the stock you bought is not the correct stock for that action. There's really nothing that can be done to make it work, either.

My best advice is to keep it as a blind mag and get blind mag stock for it.

By all means, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyloaf View Post
    I am thinking that one there is for center feed.

I have seen stagger feed Boyds stocks with the DBM.........and that stupid hole on the side......

Basic Member
    Is that was this is?

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAS...pe=1G&Finish=2

It says model 111 "side release". Normally they refer to the "top release" or "bottom release" for the bolts. So, maybe when they say "side release" they mean the old style stagger feed dbm??? If so, I have some mags and hardware that would likely work, but not the bottom metal. There's a chance their stocks don't use bottom metal for the DBM. If they do, I think it's still problematic b/c those bottom pieces are dang near impossible to find.

whiskeyloaf
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I am 99% certain that no one but Savage has ever made stocks for stagger feed detachable mags. They are a unique beast. They have a release button in the side of the stock and the bottom metal for them are almost impossible to find these days. I have searched for a couple years and the last one I found was about a year ago. Even then, the only reason I was looking for one was because I had found some really nice factory walnut stocks with cut checkering that needed that particular hardware. so... I hate to say it, but the stock you bought is not the correct stock for that action. There's really nothing that can be done to make it work, either.

My best advice is to keep it as a blind mag and get blind mag stock for it.

By all means, someone correct me if I am wrong.
    I I emailed Hogue, and they said I need to get the correct "parts" from Brownells or from Savage to "convert the action". I have no idea what that means, and Savage isn't even in business for the next 2 weeks.

whiskeyloaf
    My gunsmith says that my gun is already set up to take detachable mags, that all I need is the floor plate?? (Along with the stock and mags of course)

Basic Member
    The thing is, there are a few different kinds of DBM's.

1. "old style" that are stagger feed and have the release button in the side of the stock (Most stocks for these require bottom metal that isn't hardly available, it's long past production and few were ever made).
    2. Center Feed long action (and short action) that have a plastic mag release on the mag itself ("Axis Style")
    3. Center Feed long action (and short action) that have a metal, spring loaded release on the bottom metal frame or "surround".

To better advise you, I think it would be best if you could send us a pic of your action and your current mag setup so we know for certain what you have.

whiskeyloaf
    I see.
    Unfortunately my gunsmith has my gun right now. Here is the only picture I have. It is top feed in the original stock...

whiskeyloaf
    Ok I have no idea how to post pictures

whiskeyloaf

The only thing I see in the picture that even closely identifies what you have is the safety lever. That is a newer safety lever and I hardly doubt that your rifle is a stagger feed based on that. It also does not appear to be a long action. Give us the first 4 digits of the rifle serial number and I think we can narrow it down even further.
    If it is in fact a centerfeed, I think I'd be looking for another gunsmith who knows a little bit about Savage rifles.......yours apparently does not.

whiskeyloaf
    Yeah everything I am reading and everything you guys are telling me says that it is a short action center feed. I just trusted my gunsmith because he works at the USMC Precision Weapons Section and owns a Savage himself...
    I'll ask him for the serial number...

Basic Member
    Right. The good news is you do have a newer model that does have many stock options. And it sure looks to me like you have a center feed, top bolt release short action. If that is in fact the case, then we would need to see a pic of the bottom of the stock. ALso, measure the distance between the center of the two action screw holes on the stock (and the action, for that matter).

Basic Member
    (in post #20) I meant send a pic of the new stock's bottom and the space between the action screw holes in it.

whiskeyloaf
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    (in post #20) I meant send a pic of the new stock's bottom and the space between the action screw holes in it.
    Ohh no idea, I just ordered it and had it shipped to the guy, but this is the one I ordered...

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage...e-HS11113.html

Basic Member
    Oops. That one is long action. You need short action. (assuming we are right, just looking at the pictures). And, unfortunately, Savage is closed till the 13th so we can't even look up the S/N online till they reopen.

I would ask your smith to test-fit the action to the stock. If it fits, ask him to also measure the action screw spacing. It really doesn't matter whether it is long or short, both will work, but you need to know before ordering the other parts. If he gets annoyed, just keep in mind it was he that said it was a long action...

Basic Member
    Whiskey in your previous thread about stocks, you added a link for the Hogue you ordered. The link is for a long action as well... I hope this doesn't turn into a mess. I also hope you like the Hogue as it's pretty similar to a factory stock, I don't think it has the tactical vertical grip you were looking for. But anyway, I'm sure you'll get it all figured out and I'm sure it will be a shooter. Good luck!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    The only thing I see in the picture that even closely identifies what you have is the safety lever. That is a newer safety lever and I hardly doubt that your rifle is a stagger feed based on that. It also does not appear to be a long action. Give us the first 4 digits of the rifle serial number and I think we can narrow it down even further.
    If it is in fact a centerfeed, I think I'd be looking for another gunsmith who knows a little bit about Savage rifles.......yours apparently does not.
    The saftey lever will not identify SF from CF. Almost every staggered feed action I have has an accutrigger and saftey as pictured. That style saftey is coupled with accutriggers.

The stock pictured is a good identifier in determining CF or SF. This stock is definetly of newer factory design with the wide fore-end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast