Thread: An idea for lightening the Mark II accutrigger

Bang

An idea for lightening the Mark II accutrigger

I've been reading ideas others have done to lighten the Savage AccuTrigger pull. Almost always, the improvements are accomplished in part by cutting off coils and/or partial coils from the adjustable spring.

The coils on my trigger spring are about .083" across the radiuses and the portion of the trigger that holds the spring is .304" thick. If the (top to bottom) thickness of the trigger was reduced by one coil space dimension, that would leave .221" of threaded area by which the spring would be retained and remain adjustable.

If it is found to be too light, shims could be fashioned to raise the spring (simulating replacement of a portion of "removed" coil. I think the benefit of this approach would be the spring would remain in its original configuration and retain its full potential for increasing tension if needed.

Thoughts?

Basic Member
    Simple solution, go here http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/_all.php, Apachee Trigger. Follow the link and send Dale a message about his trigger kit. It's a great addition to any MKII rifle.

Basic Member
    The first thing I do when I buy or obtain a savage rifle either new or used, for myself or someone else, and whether it's a rimfire, centerfire, 110 series, Axis or otherwise is clip the spring. On the Centerfire Accutrigger models I will sometimes replace the spring with a target accutrigger spring, but clipping a coil or two gives the almost exact same results. I'm sure the Apachee Trigger is better, but clipping the spring can make a HUGE difference. Just lighten up the adjustment as low as it will go and clip the spring about 1 full coil to start with, and then 1/4 to 1/2 coils at a time until desired results are reached. I usually get there with 1.5 to 2 coils snipped off. THe good thing is if you take a little too far, just stretch the spring a little and tighten up the adjustment screw and you will increase the weight back to wherever you need it to be.

Basic Member
    I too had cut 1.5 coils off my factory spring along with polishing the sear and trigger. It still had some creep, the Apachee trigger kit virtually eliminated the creep. I originally bought my BTVLSS as a trainer for my 22-250 FVSS but the trigger was no where near as good even after cutting the spring and polishing. After installing the Apachee trigger kit they feel very close to the same.

Bang
    After a half-dozen session on the 50 yard, I started focusing on the trigger. Mine is over three and won't go lower (I have trigger weights that hang from the trigger...I think they were known as official NRA for competition). I got to realizing that I was applying pressure to the trigger and it was taking too much to make it happen which makes torqueing the rifle at let-off problematic.

I replaced the stock trigger spring with a lighter spring, arriving at 3/4 pound. The down-side is it created more over-travel after the break. But over-all it was great on the range. I fired about 100 rounds with it and it makes things much easier and tends to tighten up groups. I'll probably eventually be following advice given here re tricking out the trigger with tried and true tricks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    Simple solution, go here http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/_all.php, Apachee Trigger. Follow the link and send Dale a message about his trigger kit. It's a great addition to any MKII rifle.
    Best advice so far.

The Apachee Trigger Kit is not very expensive, has great instructions, makes for a wonderful trigger, and if you save the factory parts it's completely reversible if you sell the gun or if you want to increase trigger pull for hunting.

Why reinvent the wheel? Apachee has it all figured out. Buy one.

Pleased with my with my Apachee trigger

Bang
    For a couple of shooting sessions I had a light spring in the Accutrigger, with a let-off of about 12 ounces. Today I had the stock spring in there (about three pounds if I recall). It takes considerable pressure on the bench, but using standard trigger procedure, it lets off fine and made no difference in a five-shot group. A lighter trigger may be less "work", but doesn't seem to translate directly to better shooting.