Thread: Best stock for cheap?

whiskeyloaf

Best stock for cheap?

I don't know if this is a long shot or not. I don't have too much money and would like to spend less than $400 or even $300 if possible for a new stock for my Savage 10 (Heavy barrel, top bolt release). I would love to have a vertical grip as well as detachable box mag.
    I love the way B&C Varmint stocks look with their wider fore-end, but they don't have DBM's.
    Any advice or suggestions?

Basic Member
    check the Boyds site, they have good stocks with vertical grip or you can go with the Choate stock(i have 3 of these) and they are heavy. depends on what kind of shooting you want to do.
    there's a Choate in the classifieds right now. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Detachable-Mag

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

whiskeyloaf
    Okay I am looking at the Choate, looks pretty good. (http://www.eabco.net/Choate-Tactical...k_p_14193.html)
    However, my gun has a top feed mag, can I convert to the DBM by buying the Detachable Mag version of this stock? Thanks!

Basic Member
    Whiskey, when Bruce said the Choates were HEAVY, he wasn't lying. Another thing to think about, and the thing that turned me off the Choate was the grip. It is huge, I have larger than average hands, but it just didn't feel right to me. They seem like robust stocks, just not for me (I tried). I went with a Boyd's and converted from top feed to magazine. Best move I made. I love it. Can add pic if needed.

whiskeyloaf
    Yeah I like it heavy and stocky...since I'm used to the M-40 in the USMC. Do you know how the Choate compares to that?

Basic Member
    I'd say boyd's pro-varmint...check it out, it's along the line of what you described.

Basic Member
    The Choate feels like an oversized brick compared to a M-40 stock. Here's the pic as promised!

Toyoda
    I really like the hogue for my hunting rifles.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    The Choate feels like an oversized brick compared to a M-40 stock. Here's the pic as promised!

this came out nice!

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

whiskeyloaf
    Wow that pic looks great. I want a stock just like that. Boyds you say? I can't seem to find it. On the website it looks like they only make wooden ones. Did it come with DBM?
    Last edited by whiskeyloaf; 07-01-2015 at 10:57 PM.

whiskeyloaf
    How is the Hogue OverMolded stock? (https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage...e-HS11113.html)

Basic Member
    Whiskey, yes this stock is indeed laminated wood. At the time they called it their "Tacticool" model (terrible marketing scheme) and now it's called "Pro Varmint". The standard option is a black painted version. I selected the DBM (stock) inletting option, and purchased a CDI DBM and it almost was a plug and play. I had to inlet just a bit, and it was good to go. My only complaint is the laminate ply seems softer than a colored lam. Boyd's has repeatedly denied this, but when I ordered my next stock, I spent the extra $15 and got the color lam. Night and day difference. If I order another, it will also be a color lam, it is a far superior product.

whiskeyloaf
    Okay I ordered the Hogue OverMolded!
    Now where do I get magazines?

whiskeyloaf
    Do I need to buy Hogue magazines? How do I know if a magazine will fit?