I have a Savage Axis I want to turn into a scout rifle if possible. It was given to me by my wife on my 50th birthday. First gun she ever bought. (she may be finally coming around) Yes, it's a cheap rifle, but she doesn't know better, we did have much to spend at the time, and to be quite honest, it's not a bad gun. I found this forum when searching about this gun. Plus being a gift, I can't sell it to buy something else.. It is my first Savage, probably won't be my last.. I put a Boyd's stock on it and that made a great deal of difference. I also found info here and on youtube about cutting the trigger spring. The internet saves the day again... I cut 1.5 coils off and it's a much smoother and lighter pull with hardly any creep and a very clean break. Still a factory stock gun and I have shot right at 1" groups (1 group was under 1") with ball ammo already!

Here's my plan.

I'd love to fit it with sights and a scout rail. This would require something like the XS scout rail be fitted, or perhaps the barrel could be drilled and tapped for a rail fitting the contour. I'd like a winged sight on the front with tritium or fiber optic, but anything the correct height would work. I want the rear sight to be an adjustable peep sight way back on the receiver. Not a big fan of the barrel mounted rear sights like on an old Mosin or the newer Savage Hog Hunter... I'm sure there is something out there that can be fitted to the scope mount holes drilled and tapped into the rear of the receiver. I'm also looking to have the barrel shortened to 16" and threaded for a suppressor (Saker 7.62) I am dreaming of. I am also tempted to send off my stock to CDI Precision for their DBM set up. Glad I found that thread. Can't wait to hear from those guys doing it now.

I live in the north west part of the state of Indiana, in Remington. (A town named after a gun, How cool is that?) I go to the Crown Point and Lafayette areas often, and to Indy at least once a month for my VA appointments. I'm hoping to find someone along this north/central I-65 corridor. If anyone knows of a competent gunsmith that is willing to take on new customers PLEASE throw me a bone here... Does this project even seem doable? I really want to make this gift rifle one I will love to shoot.