Thread: Accuracy of factory barrel

jlaz90

Accuracy of factory barrel

I just picked up a savage 111 in .300 win mag, got it from a friend who was moving and couldn't take it with him. Question is how accurate are savage barrels on these rifles for a cold bore shot. I'm interested In using it for another hunting rig, on my property we take shots anywhere from 75yds out to 1100yds. I have a extra vortex scope I'm gona put on it just want to make sure the barrels have the ability to make a shot out to that diatance. The barrel only has about 100 rounds through it and it was bedded by a local gun smith.just curious on some input as this is my first savage. I make the same shots with my rem in 7mm and my winchester in .243 so I know I have the ability to do it.

An overwhelming majority of them are under 1moa, youll find that most everyone here says about the same. All of my factory barrels are under 1in @ 100. They may not clean up as easy as a custom barrel but they generally shoot well. Of course there are some that dont shoot well but thats the case with everything. Best way to find out is put some rounds down the pipe.
    Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    Scooter

Team Savage
    +1. All the Savage barrels I've owned will shoot sub 1" groups @100 yrds when matched with the bullet and hand load they prefer. If your rifle has a cheap "tupperware" stock, I would replace it before I'd worry about the factory barrel.

Basic Member
    You're asking a question only you can answer...go shoot it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    and if you want to better your groups, reload!

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    You're asking a question only you can answer...go shoot it.
    Plus - if he can make these 1100 yard hunting shots with his Remington and Winchester - the question itself does not add up?

Kind of wonder how he can shoot 1100 yards. With factory barrels? Hunting shots, not plinking? Kind of sounds like he should be teaching me, or maybe not.

Ironfinger
    Quote Originally Posted by jlaz90 View Post
    I just picked up a savage 111 in .300 win mag, got it from a friend who was moving and couldn't take it with him. Question is how accurate are savage barrels on these rifles for a cold bore shot. I'm interested In using it for another hunting rig, on my property we take shots anywhere from 75yds out to 1100yds. I have a extra vortex scope I'm gona put on it just want to make sure the barrels have the ability to make a shot out to that diatance. The barrel only has about 100 rounds through it and it was bedded by a local gun smith.just curious on some input as this is my first savage. I make the same shots with my rem in 7mm and my winchester in .243 so I know I have the ability to do it.
    Is that a typo??