Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, or 6.5x55...

6.5 Creedmoor, 260, or 6.5x55...

Well I'm looking to di a build. Ended up getting my boy a H&R 44mag so the 250 savage project has taken a back seat.

I've always liked a Creedmoor but I'm afriad its just a fad and will fade away where components will be unavailable. 260 is another choice. Not incredibly common component wise but is simple to make with 308 brass, which I have a good bit of 308 brass to feed my savage 10 308. Then theres the subtle swede. Have a m96 but only 20 pcs of brass. Brass is available but pricey.

It'll be a general purpose rifle for target and hunting. Ranges will not exceede 500yds. Either way I will have to get a new action.

Basic Member
    260 Lapua brass: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/420...ProductFinding Cost is 108 for 100 pieces of brass
    6.5x55 swede: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/569...ProductFinding Cost is $81 for 100 pieces of brass
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Long action I would go with the sweede, if its a short then .260 all the way. I have never been able to see any advantage to the Creed over the .260 especially in a savage action. There is plenty of room to seat the bullet where it needs to be and still function from the magazine and if not guess what seat it a little deeper and you have the exact same performance as the Creedmoor. Any 6.5 you choose will be an excellent choice and you will be well pleased with the performance.

I have a Creedmoor, and the reason I went with it over the 260 is the case is just a more efficient design. I like the 30 deg shoulder of the Creedmoor. I have to trim less. It's also a tad shorter overall, but it's not much. I have 5 firings on my Hornady brass and still have tight pockets, but I'm not driving them super hard either. If I had it to do over again, I'm not so sure I wouldn't go with a 6.5x47 though.

Quote Originally Posted by mwells72774 View Post
    I've always liked a Creedmoor but I'm afriad its just a fad and will fade away where components will be unavailable. 260 is another choice.
    I could argue myself into any one of the major 6.5mm calibers, so I won't try to argue you into any one over the others. But I must say that I don't think the Creedmoor is a fad. Good prices on very accurate factory ammo compared to rising prices on reloading components, in addition to limited brass options, are probably keeping the 6.5 Creedmoor reloading community from growing very quickly, but it's a very popular cartridge and I imagine that handloading options for it would explode if any of those factors changed.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

6.5 Creedmoor isn't going anywhere.

It has VASTLY more support than 260 Remington (Remington hasn't made a run of RP 260 brass in over two years) and every year more and more factory rifles are being rolled out in the caliber. Sure you can't get Lapua brass for it, but Hornady Creedmoor brass is quality stuff.

I still own a 260, but my primary rifle swtiched from 260 to 6.5 Creedmoor last year due solely to $25/box quality match ammo for those times when I can't or don't want to reload.

As to OP's overriding question...pick yer poison, all are good choices. As mentioned on a long action the Swede is a great choice (though 260 and 6.5 Creed feed just fine in a long action) and the others boil down largely to one's desire/lack thereof for factory ammo and preference in case design and brass options.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    6.5 Creedmoor isn't going anywhere.

It has VASTLY more support than 260 Remington (Remington hasn't made a run of RP 260 brass in over two years) and every year more and more factory rifles are being rolled out in the caliber. Sure you can't get Lapua brass for it, but Hornady Creedmoor brass is quality stuff.

I still own a 260, but my primary rifle swtiched from 260 to 6.5 Creedmoor last year due solely to $25/box quality match ammo for those times when I can't or don't want to reload.

THIS.

Makes me laugh when people still try to say it's a fad, and actually, the 6mm Creedmoor is gaining quite a bit of popularity as well. The first runs of the Hornady brass seemed to be a bit soft, but all of the stuff I have shot have given me no issues at all, and has 5 firings on it. As was said above, the sheer value of the factory match ammo alone will keep it in the competition circuit. Those guys shoot factory ammo and leave the brass laying.

If you're a reloader and you really want Lapua brass, you can form it from other Lapua brass, but like I said, I think the brass argument is long gone.

LongRange
    and to throw another wrench in your gears you may want to take a look at the 6mm's before deciding on a 6.5....i love my 260s but will be going 6x47 with one and 6mm creed with the other when its time to re-barrel.

Why? Doesn't seem like you gain anything but a slightly flatter trajectory? Windage numbers are almost identical with a 6.5 140gr Hybrid at 2800fps vs a 6mm 105gr Hybrid at 3100fps. Seems like if you really wanted to improve in any significant way moving up to a 7mm with 180s would be the way to go. slightly flatter and slightly less recoil but more than likely harder on barrels isn't enough to persuade me into the 6mm. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

Ive taken deer with both 6 & 6.5 mm and the 6.5 performed better

A 260 AI is so common now, it is almost considered just another round.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Why? Doesn't seem like you gain anything but a slightly flatter trajectory? Windage numbers are almost identical with a 6.5 140gr Hybrid at 2800fps vs a 6mm 105gr Hybrid at 3100fps. Seems like if you really wanted to improve in any significant way moving up to a 7mm with 180s would be the way to go. slightly flatter and slightly less recoil but more than likely harder on barrels isn't enough to persuade me into the 6mm. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

Ive seen the 6CMs and the 6x47lap preform in the wind and the windage numbers are not the same out to 850yds...but i agree if you wanted big gains youd need to move up...i love my 260s beleive me but after seeing a 6CM shooting 115g DTACs in a 20+mph wind by a guy i beat every match last year im going to have to build at least one of the two.

The 6mm's are definitely coming on hard this year, and the guys I know shooting them are doing awesome with them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Ive seen the 6CMs and the 6x47lap preform in the wind and the windage numbers are not the same out to 850yds...but i agree if you wanted big gains youd need to move up...i love my 260s beleive me but after seeing a 6CM shooting 115g DTACs in a 20+mph wind by a guy i beat every match last year im going to have to build at least one of the two.
    That's why I'm building a 6x47.

Could it be the guy you used to beat has just gotten better? The 115 DTACs have an even lower BC than the 105 hybrids and a lower velocity. The .260 should be able to shoot inside the 6's by about 3 inches at 850 yards and alomost 5.5" at 1000 with shooter skill and wind reading skills being equal. Even with the .260 slowed down to 2700 fps the windage numbers are within an inch or less past 800 with the 6.5 having the slight advantage. I have noticed the 6mm's have been getting more and more popular and for good reason as they really are providing some outstanding performance but I personally just haven't seen where they are providing an advantage over my .260 just yet. But...I haven't been beat by a hot rod 6mm yet here locally so I suppose I could change my tune as well if that starts to happen.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Could it be the guy you used to beat has just gotten better? The 115 DTACs have an even lower BC than the 105 hybrids and a lower velocity. The .260 should be able to shoot inside the 6's by about 3 inches at 850 yards and alomost 5.5" at 1000 with shooter skill and wind reading skills being equal. Even with the .260 slowed down to 2700 fps the windage numbers are within an inch or less past 800 with the 6.5 having the slight advantage. I have noticed the 6mm's have been getting more and more popular and for good reason as they really are providing some outstanding performance but I personally just haven't seen where they are providing an advantage over my .260 just yet. But...I haven't been beat by a hot rod 6mm yet here locally so I suppose I could change my tune as well if that starts to happen.
    its possible but doubtful im no super marksman but i hold my own and placed in the top 3 in my class every match last year and 2 of the 4 matches this year....and the numbers on JBM or similar programs dont match up to real world numbers. the 6mms are dominating matches every where and the only down fall i see is barrel life which im pretty sure will be half of a 260...i need to put a 6mm together and see but like you i have a hard time giving up my 260.

Yeah, the barrel life is what's gonna hold me back from the 6mm world I suspect...

I think I've settled on 260. Seems the most versatile and has tons of data. Also I can juat resize the hornady match 308 brass Ive got but dont use.

Just be sure to turn the necks but that should work well.

Turn the necks?

LongRange
    I think I've settled on 260. Seems the most versatile and has tons of data. Also I can juat resize the hornady match 308 brass Ive got but dont use.
    yes but like stomp said youll need to outside neck turn because after sizing down your necks are going to be to thick and may not chamber and if they do the thick necks will cause high pressure.

Well I'm looking to di a build. Ended up getting my boy a H&R 44mag so the 250 savage project has taken a back seat.

I've always liked a Creedmoor but I'm afriad its just a fad and will fade away where components will be unavailable. 260 is another choice. Not incredibly common component wise but is simple to make with 308 brass, which I have a good bit of 308 brass to feed my savage 10 308. Then theres the subtle swede. Have a m96 but only 20 pcs of brass. Brass is available but pricey.

It'll be a general purpose rifle for target and hunting. Ranges will not exceede 500yds. Either way I will have to get a new action.

I'm really not sure what the point of this thread was... lol Seems to me you had settled on the 260 from the get-go.

Don't let the 6.5 SLR get in the way.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Why stop at the 6.5SLR? Go all the way improved and get the most for your buck and the case.

What case is the SLR based on.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast